My latest addition. Just had to share !!

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I woke up this morning and thought to myself "Today I am going to buy myself a Parrot."

I have always wanted a parrot. When I was little my Grandma had 8 of them in her public house. My Grandma had 4 sons who were all in the armed forces and each brought 2 parrots home from their travels. I won't repeat their language but it had a lot of 'Fs' in...( The birds that is )

Anyway,when my Grandad died and she moved to a small house the family inherited the parrots and we had a big white Cockatoo with an urgent headcrest and an African Grey called Missy. I loved that little parrot but she hated women and loved men and would dive bomb my Mum,my sister and myself at every opportunity and was always biting us. She was adept at escaping from her cage. My Dad would come home from work with my big brother and Missy was nibbling their lips and their ears and was a totally different bird with them..

Anyway,I have a friend with a tame African Grey and when I went to stay with her in Liverpool I fell in love with Sid her African Grey.
He talked continuously,swore like a trooper and imitated the phone... He was such FUN....

So... This morning I went a Googling and was shocked at the prices for baby African Greys. At least £500 going up to £700. £100 for a decent cage,extortionate but probably very fair delivery prices so I glumly came to the conclusion that it would cost me a LOT of money.

I then clicked on a Free Ad website and saw exactly what I wanted. A 4 year old talkative African Grey in excellent health. And a really nice cage complete with doors at the top that you put a large perch in so that the bird can be out of the cage,but when it poos it will still be in the cage. Cage is about 6' tall and it's on castors. So. The price of all this, The bird, the cage and all the toys (and there are a lot in the cage) Food and perches and water bottles. The whole thing for £395. Now that is CHEAP.

She lives in Torquay so I rang her and she said I sounded so keen she wanted me to have the bird. I said I would see about somehow picking it up. I rang my friend who said he couldn't do it and his car isn't big enough anyway. I rang my local taxi-£800 !!!
I contacted 3 pet couriers and was quoted £500 twice and £400 which I almost side yes to and I thought I would try one more and rang him and said that I wanted a Parrot and cage picked up from Torquay in Devon and delivered to Lewes in East Sussex and he said "Yep,I can pick up Early Friday morning and be with you on Friday afternoon.

"How much will that cost me then?" (said I fearing the worst)

"£65" was his answer.

Silence.

"Really? £65...?? "

"Well ,it would be £45 but Devon,Somerset, and Cornwall are £65 due to something to do with the roads and motorways ( kinda forgot exactly what he said as I will still trying to get over the shock of the price...)

I have texted him hers and my details. Addresses and postcodes etc and Friday afternoon I will take possession of Archie and then the fun starts. I have looked on E Bay and found some really good parrot food with fruit and nuts and sunflower seeds for £31 with free delivery for 12.5 KG. Only the best for my boy eh.

I have checked with his Mum and asked if a 4 year old isn't too old to bond with. I rang my nate who has Sid and she said he sounds perfect and to go for it. I could hear him in the background when I rang her and he was wolf whistleing and chatting away.

She has a little daughter who has an allergy towards the parrot and this is the reason why she is selling it.

It will swear. I do all the time. I also rarely leave my flat due to ill health so it will be a perfect companion as I live in a flat and can't have a dog or a cat. I have never really wanted either as all I have ever wanted was an African Grey Parrot. And now I have one !!

Can't wait 'til Friday. I hope he doesn't eat my houseplants as I have a room full of large palms and suchlike.

Does anyone here own a parrot? Any tips ??

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Hi zolabud, i hope that you and Archie have a great time together when he arrives. He sounds like loads of fun.:p

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Oh we will....

I love to chat on the phone but don't do visitors much so it will be great to have someone to chat to.

He will be my muse. I will post pictures of him as soon as he settles down.

I have been told that he may be a bit quiet for a couple of days so I leave him to it to settle in.

He will have to go in a cat carrier for the 5 hour journey (provided by the courier) and he will text us both to keep us abreast of his progress.

£65. I still can't believe the price....

This has made me feel so much happier. I will leave Archie to my son in my will as he will outlive me for sure. I am 55 and he is a baby...

Can't wait.

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
I'm sure you are going to have lots of happy years together. Can't wait to see the photos of him. :grin:

K

Kat100

So pleased for you and Archie....he will be such a lovely friend for you....Archie has found the right home, keep us posted on how he is doing.....great news ....best wishes Kat x

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I'm looking forward to seeing him too. I hope he arrives safely.

Cara

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy end to a nice storey. I look forward to hearing more about him when you get him!

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have this friend...

He is 68, We are phone buddies mainly and we keep in touch most days and he has inherited his daughters chocolate Labrador and his daughter has just had a baby and she was going to re-home her.

So my friend Rodger (who has known the dog since she was a pup) said "I will take her"...

Fast forward 9 months and the dog is foremost in our conversations these days. Whether she is producing logs or squitting through the eye of a needle. Her walking habits where she refuses to walk any further and he has to carry her home. Her fondness for eating cat and fox **** and getting very sick...She has a very sensitive stomach (common in Labs apparently) and although she eats prescription food she often throws up blood and its costing him a fortune in vets fees.... But she is a very happy dog. And he is a very happy man.

Archie I think will change my life for the better.

I live alone. Don't answer to anyone anymore. Eat and sleeo when I want. But there is a gap in my life that another person can't fill.
I spent 30 years with a man I loved dearly and was the father to my son,now 32... But his love of vodka got him in the end and he died at 49. We met when he was 19 and I was 16 and it was love at first site. But he always did like his drink.

It's his birthday today. He would have been 59....

Forgive me for waffling. I think knowing it was his birthday today spurned me on in some way to getting Archie.

Thanks for your supportive replies.

I am feeling rather fragile today....

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
zola, what a lovely story to share with us all.
Your anticipation and excitement for your new
charming friend's arrival on Friday, flows right
through the entire post.
Aaaand we know a bit more about you now...
you've opened up and shared a little bit more of
your life and that's no bad thing.

55....you've another 40 years ahead of you. :thumbup:

Good luck, best wishes, and enjoy.

willie.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Archie update.

He has been collected.

Paula,Archies Mum just rang and she was sobbing her heart out as she didn't like the courier. He called her a "Flapper" as she had to get her husband to put the cat carrier in the van.
The van is a good size and he assured her that he would check whether he needed food and drink on the journey.

What is slightly worrying is that Archie will be in that cat carrier til tomorrow lunchtime as he will (hopefully arrive mid day ish.

He is gonna sleep in his van tonight. So Archie will be in that cat carrier from 6.00 tonight (when he was picked up) til at least 12.00 tomorrow.

That's 18 hours.
:?:

I rang him the other day and voiced my concerns over the cat carrier and Archie being in the van all night and he said "I am hurt"... "Why?"
"Cos you are making assumptions that I do not know my job. I have been ferrying dogs,cats,birds of prey,parrots, (McCaws, African Greys etc) and I has never had one problem. I have been doing this for 20 years and I know what I am doing".

He works the length and breadth of the country and goes abroad too...

I asked Paula what she thought.

"Truth" she said "Of course" I replied.

I couldn't take him out to the van,Steve had to do it and the cat carrier was dirty.

Thing is,his website states that they no longer use cat carriers due to the risk of cross infection.
Paula said that it will stress Archie out being in the cat carrier for so long and I am just hoping he gets here in one piece.

He is insured which is good to know but this is a 4 year old African Grey who will definitely be stressed when he arrives and I am hoping we can get to know each other and form a bond.

It is like adopting a child. Apparently African Greys are like a 3 year old child. He will learn how to press my buttons and I have a lot to learn. I must kindof train him,but make it fun or he will rebel.

Archie has been a very happy healthy bird as they have had him 4 years 7 months.

I just hope he is as happy with me.

But it may take months,not weeks....

My last night of peace and quiet....

Another update tomorrow.

K

Kat100

Can't wait for the update....I like our feathered friends....
Hope Archie will settle in soon with you......he is on his way home to you now......you are going to be a parent.....they give so much love.... Chat soon Kat

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just had another update.

Courier isn't going to sleep tonight,he just rang me and asked if he just drives through he should be with my around mid night or thereaboutsand is that OK.

"Yes !! "

So I shall wait up and put him straightaway into my warm dark bedroom to settle.

Then get some much needed sleep.

And I haven't eaten since lunchtime as I am not exactly excited... Just unsure of what to expect and a little apprehensive.

Must be something important if your appetite goes haywire eh....

Wish us both luck.

Zolabud, :wave:

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Very good update zolabud. :thumbup:

Best wishes with some good luck that you wanted.
You'll be getting a lot my I reckon.

Looking forward to reading your next update.

willie.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The Parrot has landed about an hour ago.

Got straight out of his cat cage and hopped straight into his cage and started making noises. Not exactly talking yet but there is plenty of time for that.

Rang Archies Mum and she said would I let him spend his first night with me. Rather than be in the bedromm in the dark on his own as he may find it easier to settle in.

So he is with me. lights off,lappy on. And he is quiet and has been really good so far.

He is 3 times the size I expected and he has a very urgent looking beak.

I am slightly scared. Not sure why,but he looks like he could do some serious damage with that beak.

Apparently I am the boss. And I have to make him realise I am the boss. I mustn't take any **** from him.

But I am still scared....

Pics tomorrow.....

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Zola I am so thrilled for you:) Archie must be due to arrive any minute now - you must be fit to burst with anticipation. I wish you you both many happy healthy years together. Sounds like he is giving you a new lease of life. I think it is absolutely fantastic that you are getting an American Grey after wanting it for so long.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Archie ( Thinking of changing his name to Charlie as I find it easier to say) has settled in really well.

He started chatting at around 8.00 and rabbited for around an hour then he ate some breakfast,had a drink (he is a noisy drinker) demolished a loo roll middle.... Ate a rizla packet (his previous owner smoked rollies) tucked one of his feet under his feathers (roosting apparently) had a quiet half hour. So he has times when he is all guns blazing and times when he is nice and quiet.

So it's all going well so far.

I rang Archies Mum and put her on speakerphone and he started talking and whistling and making lots of noise and she said "Sounds like he's settled in well...."

She is so pleased I bought him. She said even though she had lots of calls I was the one who sounded like I really wanted him and was willing to take on a 2nd hand parrot. It's like adopting a child. A child who may have a fair bit of baggage.
I was told time and time again by friends that I should get a baby African Grey. One I could train from the word go. I took a big risk and it looks like it may just pay off.

I will keep him in his cage for a few days without opening the doors. I have all his food and a bag of fruit treats coming hopefully later this morning. I went onto Northern Parrots yesterday and bought him a large bag of lower sunflower seed food with no monkey nuts.
( Sunflower seeds can be addictive and lead to stomach disorders and monkey nuts can go mouldy and produce a mould that could cause problems.)
And I bought him a puzzle box full of coloured blocks that he has to work out how to get the different shapes through the different holes in order to get to the treat inside. This is refillable so it is going to be cheap to maintain. Good news as although Archie,and his cage and the courier were cheap I have spent quite a bit on food and good treats.

I have also invested in a large Java Tree which is on a base which can go on a table next to me when he is out of his cage. I sent Archies Mum links to parrot tables and gym etc and she just got back and said "That will last 5 minutes as he chews everything. He will end up trashing it. The Java tree is an Indonesian hardwood that is unchewable so there is no way he will trash that. That cost me £65 so it is an investment I think.

We are watching Family Fortunes on Challenge as it is his favourite TV show. He likes all the bussers and bells on it and he has gone very quiet and is intently watching the telly.

He is a lovely companion. And so far it is going better than I could ever have wished for.

Hopefully it will make my daily routine get back on some sort of even keel. As it is I am up 'til 2. I sleep 'til 7. Get up,muck around on my lappy for a few hours and always end up having a nap at lunchtime. That's why I am up so late.

My first thought was to put him in my bedroom at night as he went to bed at 9.00 at Torquay. I figured that I should try to stick to a routine but my friend Rita (who had Sid the African Grey who had such an effect on me) said he should really learn to slip into my routine.
Plus he won't go to sleep unless its dark and the telly is off. So I am willing to compromise and turn everything off at midnight and either crash on the sofa (which I usually end up doing anyway) or try to make it to my bedroom. I will try my best to avoid the cat napping. That way maybe I will be tired enough at mid night to go to sleep.

Archie and I are getting used to each other slowly and I have asked various friends and family members to save the tops from plastic milk bottles and empty loo rolls which are his favourite chewing materials.

Everything so far is going swimmingly !!

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So lovely hearing about Archie it's always a gamble when you take on a "pre owned " pet but sounds like you have been really lucky . We have a rescue dog from a Spanish dogs home we didn't even know how old he was when we got him but 7 years on he's the love of our life. Enjoy Archie or Charlie you will get such pleasure from him best wishes to you both

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Can't wait for the pics :thumbup:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I hope all goes well with getting your new pet parrot today. It sounds like a lovely addition to your house hold and It will be great company for you. Good luck and I love your new Mutley avatar :thumbup:

All the best RRB