My LCHF and Newcastle Lifestyle success story so far...

charlie000

To begin LCHF is NOT a diet but a life style for me

The text below details my story I do not recommend this to anyone officially as I am not a medical expert so please ask your health experts.

This is just chit chat not advice.

—- here we go —

Was admitted in to hospital in the last week of Feb with Atrial Fib. A senior Dr examined my bloods and told me my HBA1C was at 105. She said “I am in the early stages of Diabates” and recommends my GP to get me started on Diabetes Meds.

No dietary advice except to eat healthy?

After 4 days in hospital my sugars remain high. Maybe it’s because of the white bread baguettes, Cheerios and biscuits we were being fed and laying in bed all day.

On the last day I had Salad + chicken. They said no more food was available and that this all that was left. I had this, and sneaked off the ward for a walk. The hospital I was in is massive and we all know it, it serves our war veterans. I came back after a 40 min walk. Nobody realises I had went! Nurse comes round gives me my medication and does my BG. Guess what? It’s at 5.4?!?!?!?

She was impressed but confused and asked if I had eaten. I was full! Goes and gets me some biscuits and tea. I have the tea and one biscuit just to be polite. Rest stay on the table, and are taken away by the staff in the morning...

My morning glucose is at 6.5, instead of 10.

All the other days my BG before bed has been 11mmol - 15mmol!

Nobody visited me in hospital. And I think the nurse showed a lot of compassion and care to me for this reason. Everyone else on the ward had visitors daily. Fresh juices, fruit, chocolate and biscuits, flowers you name it.

All I had was a box of hospital tissues, plastic water jug, plastic glass, my inhaler, hospital wipes and a chicken white bread sandwich.

For four days I didn’t have a shower just a face wash and hair wash and no change of clothes. I was in my jeans and polo shirt for what I was wearing that evening.

I informed my family that I was in hospital and not to visit as I needed time to myself. I know, it’s selfish but it’s how I am. It helps me understand and learn myself.

After discharge I go home and turn my phone off. I start researching diabetes and the problems I have been having. I come across the new castle diet and start it that evening. I did it for 4 days then gave up and had a Tunnocks caramel wafer chocolate. I felt tired and exhausted and couldn’t do any work. But it was time for me to rest. I did it again the next week but the third week of Newcastle I stopped. Hunger went, cravings went, and my blood sugars fell to 6.7 max after meals, fasting was still 6.5.

After the 3rd week I realise this isn’t plausible. I come across diet doctor, Virta Health, the diabetes cook book, watch a tonne of videos, Michael Moseley and his diet book. I accept that low carb is what I need to do, but maybe not high fat?

I felt guilt deeply eating butter... I used to be scared and worried. But my BG showed otherwise and I’d feel fuller and more energetic. My skin is glowing, my hair is a lot better. I’ve even had some attention from the opposite gender which never has happened since school!

In the last week of March I start weight training and walking. I hope to join the Police.

I’m doing really when on LCHF. Losing weight, but not on scales as I’m exercising but my body and face looks massively different. I have more strength I feel happy. But my redundancy makes me depressed in the evenings because I miss the days of a hard day of work coming home and relaxing. Now I’m just relaxing all the time. The day is ok until 6pm I’m really happy when I wake up but end of day makes me sad. This is in addition to my ex cheating on me. She didn’t know any of this, didn’t even come and see me in hospital, was busy with another fella...

My glucose now since the last two weeks of March 2019;
Fasting no more than 5mmol. Always between 4.4 -4.8mmol.

More 4.4mmol depending on when I start my fast.

My glucose after 2 hours eating is 4.6.-4.8. 3 hours it is dead on 4.6. Then drops to 4.4 and stops there.

I haven’t seen my glucose go over 6.5mmol. But I only test 2 and 3 hours after meal and fasting ones. And haven’t seen my Fasting BG go over 4.8mmol.

I plan to get an A1C test in the start of June as I’ll be doing a months fast from Start May to end May with a Muslim friend to see how it is.

On Sunday I had a carby breaded chicken meal. I was forced to at a friends new place. I didn’t want to but accepted it as a test too. My BG before meal was 4.4mmol. After 2 hours of eating it was at 6.0mmol, 45 mins later 5.0mmol and 3.5 hours later 4.6mmol.

The next morning after 9 hours fast, my fasting glucose was 4.8mmol...

I have cut all chocolates where I used to eat 4 bars a day, then biscuits bread, ice cream and rice or pasta.

I don’t even have breakfast. If I do it’s a few nuts, and up of tea with cream.

More chicken fish meats in my diet made with Ghee, a lot more greeery. Can’t have eggs due to a suspected allergy. But I do sometimes, gotta live?

If I have a 0 carb meal or very low carb meal on a day I’ll have one Tesco Viennese then after finding my meal, just for carbs.

My chocolate addiction is hard... but I haven’t had anything but dark chocolate 90% Lindt or that Viennese thin since start of March 2019.

No chips (if eating with family I have about 4 fries lol)
No potato
No bread (I had a quarter bread on a 0 carb meal last week)
No sugar drinks. Only diet and 7up free
About 3.5 litres of water

I go gym 3 times a week for about 1 hour doing weights training.

Any advice would be welcomed thank you and I’ll answer any questions.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

charlie000

Sometimes I still feel like *** am I doing? Having extra butter? Cream?

At work I was speaking to a colleague who tries all sorts of diets and we call her the diet queen.

I told her I’m on a diet and she offered to make me a cuppa with green top milk. I said I’ll have a black coffee and at home i put double cream in the coffee or tea and with butter at times

Her response:
OMG don’t do that it’s fattening!

Reactions: Serena51

charlie000

Also thank you to all on here answering my Newbie questions

Sorry for interrupting people’s threads I’ve finally got the whip of this website and know how to navigate it

And sorry to all the admins and more correcting my mistakes. Will be good now

Reactions: Serena51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was admitted in to hospital in the last week of Feb with Atrial Fib. A senior Dr examined my bloods and told me my HBA1C was at 105. She said “I am in the early stages of Diabates” and recommends my GP to get me started on Diabetes Meds.
Try not to get that doctor again would be my advice.. with an HbA1c of 105 you were well into T2 diabetes rather than early stages although the admission to hospital and associated stress won't have helped.

Reactions: charlie000

charlie000

Try not to get that doctor again would be my advice.. with an HbA1c of 105 you were well into T2 diabetes rather than early stages although the admission to hospital and associated stress won't have helped.

Could A1C be affected with 4 days at hospital? Yeah the doctor said early stages, my GP (locum) said something familiar and wanted to get me on medication

I said NO. Give me a chance to fight this.

Major wake up call for me though

charlie000

Thank you mate

Thinking of changing my GP too. Fellas always on holiday, left with locums who aren’t they familiar but are more on ball

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could A1C be affected with 4 days at hospital? Yeah the doctor said early stages, my GP (locum) said something familiar and wanted to get me on medication

I said NO. Give me a chance to fight this.

Major wake up call for me though

Had you been ill beforehand? It would have had a slight impact but your blood sugar levels must have been high for 2-3 month prior to the HbA1c hence my comment.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you mate

Thinking of changing my GP too. Fellas always on holiday, left with locums who aren’t they familiar but are more on ball
Personally I'd go for the on the ball locums rather than the jaded regular one...

charlie000

Had you been ill beforehand? It would have had a slight impact but your blood sugar levels must have been high for 2-3 month prior to the HbA1c hence my comment.

I went through mass trauma in the past 6 months. It turned me in to a wreck. Relationship betrayal and redundancy. Nothing has ever hit me so hard, especially the relationship betrayal.

Resulted in me eating a lot of chocolate bars upon bars. Cakes the lot, no proper meals.

I became a sugar addict. I tried to stop but couldn’t go a day without sugar and used to eat and go to sleep all. My sleeping pattern was sleep from 9-am - 6pm

I drink a lot of water 3l a day. And I remember how often id go for a wee. At times a space of 3 mins twice. Now it’s a lot less.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went through mass trauma in the past 6 months. It turned me in to a wreck. Relationship betrayal and redundancy. Nothing has ever hit me so hard, especially the relationship betrayal.

Resulted in me eating a lot of chocolate bars upon bars. Cakes the lot, no proper meals.

I became a sugar addict. I tried to stop but couldn’t go a day without sugar and used to eat and go to sleep all. My sleeping pattern was sleep from 9-am - 6pm

I drink a lot of water 3l a day. And I remember how often id go for a wee. At times a space of 3 mins twice. Now it’s a lot less.

In that case less surprising that you had high blood sugars as stress can cause a reaction too.
After starting to eat properly and looking after yourself again you are getting some truly great results.
As for water I'd say drink when thirsty but don't force in a prescribed amount try to listen to your body more..

charlie000

In that case less surprising that you had high blood sugars as stress can cause a reaction too.
After starting to eat properly and looking after yourself again you are getting some truly great results.
As for water I'd say drink when thirsty but don't force in a prescribed amount try to listen to your body more..

Yes. Looking bad it was mad. I can’t believe it. I actually cried thinking of how I was.

But a month and a half is too short to celebrate!

I drink 3L because of habit I think. 1.5 comes from my gym session. The other 1.5 is just around the house but I do drink 500ml before bed

charlie000

I’m guessing how we’re told to drink 8 glass or 2L isn’t required?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m guessing how we’re told to drink 8 glass or 2L isn’t required?
Probbaly won't do you any harm but I'm unconvinced it's necessary although with my 3-4 mugs of coffee 2-3 of tea and some water I probably have at least 2L per day ... each mug being 400ml (yes I even measured my mug size!)....

charlie000

Probbaly won't do you any harm but I'm unconvinced it's necessary although with my 3-4 mugs of coffee 2-3 of tea and some water I probably have at least 2L per day ... each mug being 400ml (yes I even measured my mug size!)....

Does water help diabetics and our bodies? I just can’t see our ancestors always drinking water try didn’t have a supply?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does water help diabetics and our bodies? I just can’t see our ancestors always drinking water try didn’t have a supply?
If you have really high blood sugars (which you don't any more) then you pee a lot as your body tries to get rid of the excess sugar. That's why excessive peeing is a sign for diabetes.

Edit to add I'm sure people just drank when they were thirsty assuming a supply was available.

M

Member496333

I eat when I’m hungry and drink when I’m thirsty. Fairly sure that’s how nature intended our appetite to work.

Besides all of that, very well done @charlie000. Sounds like you’ve had a really rough time and come out the other side a winner. The only advice worth giving is to keep it up.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just what my numbers mean. What has happened to my condition?

How to maintain it because i don’t wanna go back to what happened

How often to finger prick? Strips are hard to get by

Hi. As the others have said, keep doing what you’re doing - as you said in your opening, low carb is a way of eating not a short term fix. Testing is a personal choice. Many people use the strips to test the effect of food intake on their blood sugars and to monitor progress overtime. Or perhaps if they’re feeling ‘off’ and want to see if blood sugars are unusually high or low. Personally I still test first thing in the morning and before and after each meal. Partly because I like data and like to see progress over time. It’s also an early warning system if anything is going wrong.

Good luck and keep us updated!