my little girl complains her hands and feet hurt?

char nd jay

hello ,

my little girl is 2 and has t1 she is new dingosed and still "honeymooning"

recently shes been complaining her fingers and feet hurt all the time? we keep her socks and shoes on or slippers and her hands warm ?

any advice ?

thanks char n jay x

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I have met other parents who have had the same problem although I haven't seen any signs of this in my son. Sometimes it just goes away after blood sugar levels have been stablised. How are her levels most of the time? It could be a completely non diabetes related condition so worth mentioning to your GP. Other auto immune problems can arise. It is always a bit sad to hear of another child with T1 but welcome to the forum.

char nd jay

hey,

shes still honey moongin so can go days with only levermir and others shes sky high< she dosnt eat very well eaither witch dosnt help :( i askd the dsn and she said nothing diabeties related askd gp and they said they dont no :/ but my gp are rubbish the miss dignosed her twice and she was on the edge of going in to a coma on dignoses they made me make my own way to hospital! her bms were 33.5 once been in hospital an hr or so :( poor might x

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Sorry to hear you haven't had help in getting a diagnosis even though they are happy to tell you it is not diabetes related???? Does the pain relate to when her levels are high? How often are you testing so you can avoid some big peaks? You might actually find things improve when she no longer produces her own insulin. It will be really helpful if you can find some regular meal/snack patterns while she is still honeymooning as it will be a bit easier in the long run. My son is now 4.5yrs and been diagnosed from when he was 8 months old and has always had 3 meals and 3 snacks per day. He isn't really restricted in what he eats and I count his carbohydrates to give fairly accurate insulin doses (2 X Levemir and 3 X Novorapid). It works most of the time but diabetes has a mind of its own on occassion. I test Khaleb on average 7 times a day - before and 2.5 hours after meals and before I go to bed at night. I often test in the wee hours of the morning also.

I've heard many diagnosis disasters and I think myself lucky that the nurse I first met in the Emergency Department did a bsl but I did stress about his thirst 2 days before. With a bsl of 86 Khaleb was still conscious and not vomitting and was quite happy to fight the doctors trying to find a vein for the drip. He started getting thirsty on a Monday and early Wednesday morning he was in intensive care.

Keep complaining if the hands and feet don't improve as it isn't something your daughter would be making up and they should take it seriously.

char nd jay

courtney is a very fussy eater and dosnt have a very big appitite she can ask for things you give them to her and she dosnt eat them on a genrel day she will eat ,
breackie - a small bowl of weeterbix or corn flakes with a little bit of sweetner some times will eat it all or none at all
snack - a box of rasiens or a rich tea biccy - dosnt often eat it all
lunch i can give her a sandwich or a light cooked meal she will eat a few mouth fulls
snack banana maybe a small yogurt hardly touchs
eveing meal - will only eat a small amount if none at all

we test her before and 2 hours after every meal we test her b4 she gose to bed if after 2 hrs after tea and b4 we go to bed and up to 4 times in the night!
(fun having a 6 month old who dosnt yet go through the night )

shes had one hypo in about 2 weeks and yestoday she was 4.1 in the morning so close becasue she slept in

out dsn hardly ever rings now and when we need her we can never contact her and our gps our well rubish x

carla1975

Hi,my daughter is 12 and only diagnosed 2 months ago. Her levels are good,mainly between 5 and 9. She regulary complains of aches in her arms and legs. We check levels when this happens but normally they are ok. She often feels sick most days. Her friends at school had similar symtons a few weeks ago so im not sure if its related to diabetes or if she has got a virus.

emmaw_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
spiders, ants, wasps, ignorant people, people with no manners.
hi im not sure if i can help im 24 and have had type 1 for 11years i would defo talk to some one about her hands and feet. i have the same problem with my feet but i have (nerve damage) due to bad sugar control. im not saying your child has this as shes a newbie but my symptoms happen mainly when my sugars are high but at the moment my sugars arent stable so i have them all the time but am on medication for it. my sympoms are aching all the time, a like pins and needles affect, sometimes feel like my feet are on fire and sometimes sharp jabbing pains and spasms. i think your daughter has these symptoms because her sugars arent yet stable but would recomend her seeing someone because its painful and uncomfortable my GP was no better they didnt even realise i had DKA until ended up in intensive care i think you should tell them to get there act in to gear. :)

Margi

You say you keep her socks on to keep her feet warm, which is logical, but I find that having bare feet eases the pain in my toes because there is no pressure. For me that is very important. I know that my toe pain is neuropathy related after 36 years of type 1, and your daughter's is different, but it might be worth trying to relieve all pressure from her feet and hands as often as possible and see if it helps her to be more comfortable.

Your original post was in May I see, and it was colder then and a while ago. How are things now? Have they improved or is it still a problem?

Lots of cyber hugs for your little girl, I hope you both cope ok with it all. :)