My Low Carb Diet; The First Results Are In!

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have now been following a low carb diet since the end of January. I saw my diabetes consultant around this time, and he was extremely skeptical. He told me I should come back for another clinic four months down the line, to see how my diet was affecting me. That appointment was today, and the results are quite interesting. I turned up expecting another battle of wills with him, but as it turned out he was away on annual leave for a couple of weeks. Therefore I saw another consultant, and she was much more positive about my approach. She had read my file, and done some research on my methods. However, not all of my results came back with positive changes. Below I will list my results before and after:

Weight: January 2014 71kg June 2014 79kg

HBA1C: January 2014 37 June 2014 37

Cholesterol: January 2014 2.9 June 2014 4.2
HDL Cholesterol: January 2014 1.2 June 2014 1.5
LDL Cholesterol: January 2014 1.5 June 2014 2.5

So my weight has gone up quite significantly. At 79kg (12.5 stone) I am still within an ok weight range, being 5'11", but I was a lot more comfortable at my previous weight. My HBA1C is exactly the same, just without the massive amounts of hypos now, which was the main thing I was aiming for. My LDL cholesterol has also gone up, which is not the best news in the world.

My consultant was very pleased with my blood sugars, and said her only concern was my cholesterol rising. I said that to begin with my main goal was to get my blood sugars under control, and then I would look at how to deal with other problem areas as they arose. She commended this approach, saying it was sensible and manageable. She said to come back in a few months so that they can assess how the changes are affecting me. All in all a very good appointment, with loads more support than I expected.

Going forward, I am making a number of changes now that I know where i need to tighten up. First off is an easy one; measuring quantities of add ons. By this I mean cream in my coffee, and mayonnaise on my plate. I tend to just add loads of each, which probably is not the best idea in the world. Secondly, measuring portion sizes. I have found lately that I feel quite stuffed when I have finished eating. My ravenous hunger from my high carb days has mostly abated, so there is no need for me to have masses and masses of food on my plate. I intend to aim for around 100g of protein a day to begin with, and see how I get on. I am keeping notes on my protein and carbs at each meal, and my exercise, so my dietician can work with me to find the correct insulin ratios. Lastly, it's time to start cycling again! At the beginning of this year, I was fairly new to being self employed, and did not have much business. Therefore, I had loads of time to get out on the bike, and I could easily cover 30 miles or more in a day. Around the time I started the diet, I also started getting more clients. I was so busy learning to cook low carb meals, and deal with my business, I lost the time and motivation to cycle. I think this more than anything has led to my weight gain, as I am now around the weight I was before I started cycling 3 years ago. I cycled to my diabetic clinic today, and it felt great to be out on the bike again, so this is a clear sign to get out and about more!

So to sum up; Goal 1 achieved, my blood sugars have largely been tamed. Now it's time to lose a bit of weight and do some more exercise!
Any thoughts or suggestions about my plans greatly appreciated :)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No thoughts Charles but pleased you had a positive experience at your clinic today :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Interesting that your weight rose quite significantly. Any idea why ? The majority of low carbers say it helps greatly with weight loss. Well done on your control over BG levels and hypo reduction.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, may i ask what level of carbs per day you have been eating please?

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting that your weight rose quite significantly. Any idea why ? The majority of low carbers say it helps greatly with weight loss. Well done on your control over BG levels and hypo reduction.
I think I have been overdoing it on the protein in meals. Large low carb meals can still affect things like weight, as I have found! Here is an example of a typical day for me (except the accidental extra Lantus!)

image.jpg

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Diet seems fine although this is only 1 day so difficult to get the full picture. The weight gain is still acceptable and within your range. I just think you are the first person I've heard from who has gained weight on a low carb diet. over a stone is a fair bit too ! You are well able to tolerate this weight gain but many may not. There doesn't appear to be a great deal of protein there but only a snap shot I guess. Anyway, well done so far :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i suppose the insulin (i know nothing about this) could be aiding the weight gain? i wonder if you ate the same, would you continue to gain or your body would decide it was happy with this weight a stay constant, i would say if you were overweight to start with, you may well have lost weight as what your eating sure dosent seem excessive to me

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think if I ate that diet, I'm sure I'd lose weight but this is just 1 day ! Difficult to gauge really. Could it be you are getting back to your "ideal" weight ? Did you lose weight prior to diagnosis Charles ?

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diet seems fine although this is only 1 day so difficult to get the full picture. The weight gain is still acceptable and within your range. I just think you are the first person I've heard from who has gained weight on a low carb diet. over a stone is a fair bit too ! You are well able to tolerate this weight gain but many may not. There doesn't appear to be a great deal of protein there but only a snap shot I guess. Anyway, well done so far :)
I think the main reason for the weight gain really is stopping the regular exercise at about the same time as starting the diet. I had been steadily losing weight for the past couple of years thanks to cycling, despite many orders from dominos, trips to Pizza Hut, plenty of magnums, jacket potatoes, fish and chips, you name it I binged on it before low carbing (no prizes for guessing why I decided I needed to make changes!). I also used to work in retail, which involved a lot of running about the shop and climbing up and down stepladders. Now most of my work takes place at the piano, my hands have great muscles but the rest of my physique has suffered!

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think if I ate that diet, I'm sure I'd lose weight but this is just 1 day ! Difficult to gauge really. Could it be you are getting back to your "ideal" weight ? Did you lose weight prior to diagnosis Charles ?
I lost loads of weight before diagnosis, but that was 24 years ago and I was three, lol. I think I just need exercise in the mix again and I'm onto a winner!

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i suppose the insulin (i know nothing about this) could be aiding the weight gain? i wonder if you ate the same, would you continue to gain or your body would decide it was happy with this weight a stay constant, i would say if you were overweight to start with, you may well have lost weight as what your eating sure dosent seem excessive to me
I think the insulin is probably a deciding factor. I have noticed recently I have needed more, and I think because I have not been putting in the exercise my insulin sensitivity has suffered. That said, I have never been overweight, but I miss being able to shoot up hills without a care. I live in a hilly area and don't drive, so it would be nice to be fit again :)

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, a few days later and I'm loving finding the time to exercise again. I have not changed my diet much, other than less mayo and controlled cream portions in my coffee. However, I have cycled 8 out of the last 10 days, and clocked up about 140 miles in that time. Hypos reared their ugly head again, but I have been playing with insulin levels and right at this moment I have things under control. Done 28 miles today, and blood sugars have been towards the higher end of ok. Lowest reading 5.1, highest reading 7.7. Pretty happy with that!
My jeans are also telling me they once again need a belt to stay up, so the exercise is having the desired effect.