My low carb/IF Diet - BG and progress

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I've started this so that I am accountable for my progress which is more likely going to make me stay on track. I'll put my bg's on here as well as details of foods I'm eating and what fasting I've done.

I've been back on low carb for a week now and today was the first day of testing:

FBG: 8.8 (2 hours after waking and before food).
B: 3 scrambled eggs and 3 rasher streaky bacon. Coffee with DC.
PM Snack: 3/4 Lidl protein roll with butter and pate. Small glass Diet Pepsi.
D: chicken, broccoli, cauli mash, gravy.

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi debmcgee,may i welcome you to the forum,great to see you ,hope you get to grips with lchf regime,i've been on it now for 18 months and lost 58lbs so far( just 8lbs to go) bs's now averaging 4.0 mmols and bp down to 110/ 60 , so get stuck in

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Clive. How long did it take for your FBG to drop? You've done amazing - keep it up!!!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
It took about 12 wks for my bs to drop to 5.5 and another6 weeks to get my am fasting( ps as soon as you wake and before your feet hit the floor) down to4.0 mmols

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bloody sciatica woke me up and I've had to get up for a move around so I thought I'd test. 7.5 at 2.25am :(

Tummy is seriously rumbling - it's doing my head in

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Bloody sciatica woke me up and I've had to get up for a move around so I thought I'd test. 7.5 at 2.25am :(

Tummy is seriously rumbling - it's doing my head in

Is this your IF day? ie low-cal (as well as low-carb) day. What IF regime are you doing? 5:2? (I feel for you re the stomach rumbling.)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol I'm not fasting til Monday so it's s normal day with proper LCHF!!!

I won't be doing 5:2 right now - I'm going for 18:6 from tonight.....

Just took a reading and it's 8.2

X

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re. the tummy rumbling - I always take that to mean my sugar/carb loving bacteria are protesting at the lack. Eventually they reduce in number and the rumbling goes away. Something similar happens in reverse if you up carbs - along with an increase in gassiness. LCHF/fasting modify the gut microbiome significantly - and in my case it was in a good way - eventually cured my IBS :)

Reactions: 16 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Lol I'm not fasting til Monday so it's s normal day with proper LCHF!!!

I won't be doing 5:2 right now - I'm going for 18:6 from tonight.....

Just took a reading and it's 8.2

X

Righto on the 18:6. (I thought your tummy was rumbling from hunger - total projection on my part! :). I get hungry IFing.)

Give the BG levels time! Things have to happen inside your bod, in your pancreas and liver, in your cells - as they start to adjust to lower levels of glucose coming in from food. Then you will see changes in your blood glucose levels? (I expect at any rate!).

Are you just testing FBGs? Or throughout the day too? It can be quite interesting to see changes to post-meal BGs and so on....

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I had enough fat in my evening meal - chicken with veg....!!

Morning bg is 8.2 so that's down .6 from yesterday. Going in the right direction

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Aloe. I was here a year ago religiously following low carbing and epically self sabotaged for a year so now I'm trying to stay healthy....

I'll be testing everything possible but work in a school so it's hard to just pop out to test and not telly a place I can just stab myself in the middle of double maths!!

It's been so long since I used my monitor that my strips are slightly out of date but I've ordered more.....

Thanks for the encouragement- it really helps!

Xxxx

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bloody stressful day thanks to my ex's antics so it'll be interesting to see what tomorrow's FBG will be....

So food today:
B: eggs and bacon, coffee
L: salami, lettuce, coleslaw, cream cheese
D: gammon shank, cheesy cauli mash. Diet Coke.
Snack: cheesecake 'fluff'

Before eating dinner, bg was 6 so not too bad. Will test in an hour and then before bed....

I didn't think there was enough fat in the shank, hence why I added cheese to the mash. Tomorrow will be my first official fast.....

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Bloody stressful day thanks to my ex's antics so it'll be interesting to see what tomorrow's FBG will be....

So food today:
B: eggs and bacon, coffee
L: salami, lettuce, coleslaw, cream cheese
D: gammon shank, cheesy cauli mash. Diet Coke.
Snack: cheesecake 'fluff'

Before eating dinner, bg was 6 so not too bad. Will test in an hour and then before bed....

I didn't think there was enough fat in the shank, hence why I added cheese to the mash. Tomorrow will be my first official fast.....
Keep up the good work

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What's cheesecake fluff?

You mix whipped 300ml double cream with 150g whipped cream cheese, add vanilla extract (or I've recently discovered, sugar free coffee syrups) and a bit of sweetener if using extract. Leave in fridge for couple hours and it's a bit like cheesecake!

Reactions: 8 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First day of fast is a doddle so far!!

FBG 8.0. I was hoping for a bit lower but there you go!!

Reactions: 3 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting today was really fine - work kept me busy so no time to think or be tempted with food.

L: sausage, cauli mash, Greek yoghurt with cinnamon and seeds. Water

S: salami and cheese (probably ate a bit too much!)

D: bacon and scrambled eggs and tea.

And that's it for today....I'm feeling full and satisfied and ready for round 2 tomorrow!

Over and out

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Aloe. I was here a year ago religiously following low carbing and epically self sabotaged for a year so now I'm trying to stay healthy....

I'll be testing everything possible but work in a school so it's hard to just pop out to test and not telly a place I can just stab myself in the middle of double maths!!

It's been so long since I used my monitor that my strips are slightly out of date but I've ordered more.....

Thanks for the encouragement- it really helps!

Xxxx

Point taken! :).

Pleased you're getting more test strips....

Keep up the good work!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So FBG today was 8.0. That's three in a row now and frustrates me

Fasted again today - I'm definitely going to do this during a work week and see what it's like at the weekend too and most likely carry it on. I have been so good and even turned down lots of carby offers at work

L: pork stuffing, sprouts, cauli mash and spoon of Branston. Cheesecake fluff.

D: courgette spaghetti with meat ragu, cheese and Diet Coke.

S: cup of tea.

Didn't get a chance to test bg during day but still waiting for strips to arrive. Breath is very strange so I'm taking that as ketosis - yay!!

X