My low(er) carb journey as a veggie

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
I have decided to create a thread for my progress low-carbing - partly so I can see how I'm progressing, and also so that other vegetarians/vegans may get ideas on what to eat (or suggest things to me). Putting it in the Low-Carb Diet Forum as that's the diet I'm going to try and follow.

A bit about me: I'm 35, and was diagnosed as Type 2 in 2011. Controlled with Metformin (plus Ramipril and Simvastatin for blood pressure/cholesterol). The doctor originally had me on 4 metformin tablets a day, but dropped it to 3 after I found I got dizzy/disoriented by dinner time on 4. I'm over-due a diabetic check with the nurse - she couldn't get blood out of me last time I was in, so need to book in again. Last reading I had (from last year) was around 6. They don't believe in testing for Type 2 patients, however I've bought a meter and now just need to get an adapter so I can test in other locations (I don't want to be constantly pricking fingers that then go the the stables and deal with horses - too much dirt!). I also need to lose a lot of weight - I'm somewhere around 7-8 stones overweight (it was 9 to start with).

I have previously reduced my carb intake and felt better for it. I couldn't stick to it then, so I need to plan better so I meet with success. It's payday today, so I can do some planning and shopping over the weekend so I'm ready to get stuck in :)

I'm going to reduce my carbs to around 100g/day to start with, which means I need to make sure I get my breakfast and lunch on workdays planned out in advance. I will have a few slimfast shakes on standby as they are quick and have the same number of carbs each time I have them, but I'm going to try and make myself have a decent breakfast - maybe a slice of Burgen toast with a poached egg, or similar. And I can make a suitable lunch, if I just make myself get up and do so!

Hopefully I'll be updating this with good results (weight wise and/or blood sugar wise) soon.

Reactions: 8 people

Lezzles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella
Good luck!!
Have recently started a low carb, high fat diet also and it is difficult to start off with but I find that planning is key and having things on hand is definitely beneficial..
This forum has also helped me a lot.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you for making the start of LCHF .. I am on 30 g of carbs a day and lost 4 stone since the start of this year. Feeling great and enjoying my food again.
Remember to eat to your meter .. As we all have different things that spike our sugars. Be careful of processed or diet products .. As a fellow veggie I can say that the LCHF is enjoyable and something I will personally be happy to stay with.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Noticed you said about Slimfast shakes, as a standby. These are high in sugar, there are low car alternatives - Atkins.

I often take greek salad for lunch, or home made soups or stews in winter.

School hols start next week and i will take a small box of almonds and pumpkin seeds with me in case I need an emergency snack or use it as addition to meal bought in cafe/supermarket/park etc. Often VERY limited choice for low carb vegetarians when eating out or trying to get take away/picnic lunch, typically its salad or the inside of a quiche scooped out :rolleyes:

There are some good low carb books for veggies too, or lots of recipes on the forums can be adapted.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I SO need this thread :) I am veggie too. Need to loose about 1 stone ..abdominal fat not good and have been trying to reduce carbs = REALLY hard. I love love love bread!!
I keep reading books etc but just get confused and don't do anything :oops:
More advice please.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I should add I am 56 and diagnosed T2 end of last year. My Mum was very ill at time and sadly died April. Now need to get to grips with myself.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hiya @purplecat I was speaking to you a few weeks ago and you said you would dig out and post your walnut and lentil loaf recipe. I am going to stalk you until you do :p

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi, I SO need this thread :) I am veggie too. Need to loose about 1 stone ..abdominal fat not good and have been trying to reduce carbs = REALLY hard. I love love love bread!!
I keep reading books etc but just get confused and don't do anything :oops:
More advice please.
Hi

Sorry for your loss.

There are breads you can buy or make which are lower carb. If you tell us more about what confuses you, we can help get on track. I think if you make a list of foods you enjoy eating then score out the ones to limit or avoid, you will finds there are loads of lovely things left to enjoy. I love LCHF veggie food and have been having fun since diagnosis at Christmas trying out new meals.

A

AnnieC

Hi Purple Kat
Sounds good to me and I will be interested how you get on
Since I was found to be prediabetic I have thought and read a lot about diets and a vegetarian diet seems to me to be the most healthy it is eating as nature intended and not just for diabetics but everyone The way our ancestors would have eaten was mostly grains from which they made their bread, pulses roots and vegetation with a little meat. If a very low carb diet is followed then only green vegetables are recommended hardly any fruit and not much else except meat , difficult for me as I do low fat and I am not a big meat lover really only eat chicken Those who do LCHF say if you low carb you have to do high fat so how do vegetarians get their protein and fats

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Purple Kat
Sounds good to me and I will be interested how you get on
Since I was found to be prediabetic I have thought and read a lot about diets and a vegetarian diet seems to me to be the most healthy it is eating as nature intended and not just for diabetics but everyone The way our ancestors would have eaten was mostly grains from which they made their bread, pulses roots and vegetation with a little meat. If a very low carb diet is followed then only green vegetables are recommended hardly any fruit and not much else except meat , difficult for me as I do low fat and I am not a big meat lover really only eat chicken Those who do LCHF say if you low carb you have to do high fat so how do vegetarians get their protein and fats

I get protein and fat from eggs, cheese, butter, nuts, cream, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, quorn, pulses.....not a problem.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI Purplekat,:) When you go for your nest blood test (fasting 12 hours I think) drink plenty of water as it helps the blood flow.
I am on a vegan/veggie type diet with what I believe is great for my control of diabetes.
You need your BG test so that you know whats works for you as we are all different in relation to what foods affect our BG.
I know this sounds daft yet the best tip I can give is "presentation" it is how the meal looks and the effort you take that makes it all worth while.
I also don't think those lovely horses mind how many times you test as long as you're in full control.
Finally don't forget to make yourself a well deserved treat. ( My son makes me vegan ice cream and great brownies but not that often ).
best of luck and keep up your good work.:)

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have bought Hovis whole meal seed sensation bread. Is this
any good? How much can I eat in a day? I never realized just how many carbs I eat - with every meal. Tonight I had Quorn sausage, cheese omelette and beans but still had fruit and yoghurt after!! Can anyone give me a rough idea how many grammes = low carb in a day? Any suggestions for low carb veggie/vegan diet book to buy to get me on track?
Thanks for any help given.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some here are on higher carbs than I am .. I have around 30 g a day .. Higher than this and my bs rises.
I do eat wholemeal bread .. Max of 1slice a day .. If I eat it with cheese .. Like cheese on toast my sugar is fine .. If I eat bread on its own I am through the roof. Watch out for fruit .. Berries are ok for me ... I just look at an apple and my bs is shooting up.
Best to test before eating and 2hrs after .. Then you know what's working for you ...
Beans in tom sauce would also spike me

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. Does combining the carbs with 'fat' foods make a difference? I am testing bs ( bought myself otherwise even less idea)
Surprised how little I know :hungover:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know others can explain this better than I can, but for me if I have say double cream with fruit I rise less than just eating the fruit.. Same with toast it needs cheese or woosh through the roof .. Almonds also seem to be good for keeping my sugar levels low ..

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks. Have a few more ideas. Also reading some other threads☺ My head is hurting now so tomorrow is another day.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All, not a vegetarian, but I hope you don't mind me lurking?
I love food, and you are probably all going to come up with some lovely recipes I can filtch.

Reactions: 4 people

Sunspot

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad food, junk food, processed food.
Hi Purple Kat I"m brand new to this forum. I am keen to see another veggie here and to see what you eat and how you manage. That said, because i am trying out very low carbs (around 40), i am being pescetarian until i go back up to about 100. Though if i get into ketosis, i will try 90 or whatever my carb limit thingy is.

Enough about that. I think you are just starting out with the low carb thing aren't you. I started off doing 100 carbs a little while ago (as an experiment), about 6 weeks and did it for four before going lower. I didn't need to go lower, just wanted to experience ketosis. At 100 the food was very good. I ate plenty of fruit and vegetables which i think is key whatever sort of diet you follow or number of carbs you follow (save the fruit thing).

When i go shopping, i stock up on nuts, seeds, fruit and veg, lentils and legumes and chickpeas, preferably the dried sort since the canned varieties may have added sugar. I buy yummy cheese, make my own yoghurt and continue drinking full cream milk. I am definitely into whole foods and cooking my own foods. A pressure cooker helps with the dried stuff. I used nuts, seeds, cheese (especially feta and parmesan) to flavour foods.

I cut out bread, pasta, rice and oats as that is what low carb seems to be really about, not to mention sugar which i cut out back in January when i started my weightloss journey. However, with the hummus i was making, i found that a heated pitta bread was the most yummy way to enjoy hummus so i have that sometimes. Sometimes i have porridge for breakfast too. I think with these foods you can have them but not often and in very modest portions e.g. half a pitta bread, not a whole one.

I found adapting to 100 carbs very easy. Going lower was a bit more tricky at first but now i am doing well on it. Though i don't want to live on this forever as i would like to eat the odd piece of toast again, miss my lentils, don't want to eat this much fish forever and so on.

One thing i would say which applies to any diet, is i cannot understand people messing about with fake desserts. For me sugar and sweet foods are the biggest problem and so long as one is seeking to make them and thinking about them all the time, they will hold you back in your weightloss and always be there ready to tear you down and take you back to scratch. Of course if you don't have a sweet tooth, then you won't have an issue. Since quitting sugar back in January, i am so happy, ;loving my food, eating so well, enjoying cooking, enjoying shopping, and just feeling great. That said i don't have diabetes so i know that those who do, have greater challenges than me. For sweetness, i rely on fruit and i love it. I stew fruit for an alternative and love to eat with natural yoghurt and sometimes added seeds.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Sunspot
I would caution that stewed fruit may not be the ideal choice for those who are diabetic due to the high sugar content. Unless it's rhubarb which is a lower carb fruit.