My met dosage has been halved, should I take at night or twice a day?

RichardHawkings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on metformin 1g bd, after my last HbA1c the nurse said I can reduce to 1g but didn't make it clear if thats 1g with evening meal or 500g twice daily. Calling takes about a week for a callback, does anyone have an opinion/advice on this?

I've never had any problems, tummy upset or side effects with any meds over the years.

TIA!

Barry05

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It should usually be twice per day, 500mg morning and 500mg with evening meal.
And of course ask your diabetic nurse or GP to have this verified.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on metformin 1g bd, after my last HbA1c the nurse said I can reduce to 1g but didn't make it clear if thats 1g with evening meal or 500g twice daily. Calling takes about a week for a callback, does anyone have an opinion/advice on this?

I've never had any problems, tummy upset or side effects with any meds over the years.

TIA!

Hello there Richard.

Firstly, could you confirm if you are on "ordinary" Metformin, as opposed to slow release option?

Bear in mind that Metformin works on a therapeutic dose That means a dose that builds up over time, rather than a tablet by tablet basis, it probably wouldn't make a heap of difference.

If you are taking the slow release (sometimes called Extended Release = ER), then it is important that you do not half or cut tablets up in any way, so when you take your tablet may depend on which tablets you actually have in.

RichardHawkings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello there Richard.

Firstly, could you confirm if you are on "ordinary" Metformin, as opposed to slow release option?

Bear in mind that Metformin works on a therapeutic dose That means a dose that builds up over time, rather than a tablet by tablet basis, it probably wouldn't make a heap of difference.

If you are taking the slow release (sometimes called Extended Release = ER), then it is important that you do not half or cut tablets up in any way, so when you take your tablet may depend on which tablets you actually have in.

It's ordinary tabs. So I guess Im ok with eveniing only tanks!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's ordinary tabs. So I guess Im ok with eveniing only tanks!!

I'm not a medic, so just using a bit of lay logic. See how you go Richard. It's probably useful to get a call into your nurse anyway, just to ensure she didn't have specific plans for you.

Well done getting your meds down. Seems like you must have been doing something right.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could also talk to your pharmacist to get a quicker answer. I take standard release two in the morning and one in the evening

D

Deleted member 308541

When I was on Metformin I took 1 x 500 tablet at breakfast, and 1 x 500 with the evening meal.

I never had any gut problems with either type / brand of Metformin.