My mom was diagnosed with Diabetes!

ronast10

Hi All. My name is Rona and my 61 years old mom was diagnosed with Diabetes last week. On the past few days I've been following your messages and I have to say that I'm really worried about my Mom. Since she was diagnosed, I feel she is in denial and is refusing to take any of the conventional medicine that the doctor has prescribe. I'm currently looking for anything natural that might be helpful to lower her blood sugar levels (her A1C is 7.8).
Can someone please recommend of such dietary supplement?? Me and my sister are really stressed about it but my really doesn't seem to care.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Hello Rona. I was diagnosed at age 60 with HbA1c =8. Its not an urgent situation especially if her general health is good, as mine was, but well controllable as she gets to grips with her condition.

Please note that we cannot diagnose or prescribe, but write from our own experience.

My experience is on this thread: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11680&hilit=self+management

At that level my Dr recommended diet, not any medication. She also referred me to the local hospital for a one day course in diabetes management, with talks by nurse, dietitian, pharmacist & podiatrist.

If you are looking for natural substances, the best one is carbohydrate - reduce the consumption to a minimum of: bread, potatoes, rice, cereals, pasta, sugars. That is vastly more effective than any supplement. That does not mean go hungry. I have increased my consumption of vegetables, cheese, meats, nuts, bran ... See that link for the benefits I experienced.

There is plenty of advice on the forum, & direct questions will be promptly answered.