My mom's sugar level are way to high, very nervous what to do???

AMALforMYmom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

My mom is recently diagnosed with diabetes. Her reports are as follows:
FASTING BLOOD SUGAR : 21 MMOL/L
POST PRANDIAL BLOOD SUGAR : 28 MMOL/L
HB1AC : 12%
MEAN BLOOD GLUCOSE : 19.44 MMOL/L
Doctors have asked her to get admitted, but my mom does not want to get admit. Doctors have suggested to take 4 shots of insulin 15 - 12 - 12 - 12 - 05.
She had bitter melon juice and her sugar level reduced to 111, some of the doctors have suggested not to skip the last shot of insulin (05). Some of them suggests to continue with the medication suggested. Since she is not hospitalized, how to change the insulin intake/dosage?

Is it ok if she skips the shots if her sugar level has lowered down?

This is the first time we have encountered with these problem, totally confused and nervous what and how to proceed? Shall i hospitalize her?

today's report:
her fasting sugar level was 13 mmol/l today after 12 hours of insulin. doctors have advised to reduce the insulin unit by 10, earlier she was on 44 units per day.
i wanted to know if it is a good sign? is she recovering? are we in condition where in we dont need to take much tension? or is it still at alarming level?

thanks!
Please suggest. Waiting for suggestions.

Thanks and best regards,

Amal

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Those are still very high levels. But I'm a bit puzzled about what you're saying is five injections and fifty six units.

15 + 12 + 12 + 12 + 05 = 56

I'm assuming that it goes like this:

15 = first one of the day.
12 + 12 + 12 = meals
05 = bed time

It takes a while for insulin to take effect and the same is true of medicines such as metformin but there are things she can do NOW to speed up the process. One is to sharply reduce starchy foods and eliminate sugar she's going to have to do that anyway to get her diabetes under control so she might as well get started. The other is to take gentle exercise after each meal/day time insulin shot. A twenty minute walk - enough that her pulse goes up a little. Will help her body take up insulin and drop her blood sugar level. This article from Science Nordic should help explain why:

An easy walk lowers blood sugar level | ScienceNordic

Hope this helps - I'm sure there'll be others along to give more information.