My old life is over. :(

Bubblezzz

Hi Everyone,

I am an absolute foodie and was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes after a kidney infection 2.5 weeks ago. Since then, my moods have veered between feeling positive (glad that I found out and now can take charge) and absolute dejection and despair. I have been trying to eat well and have almost completely cut out sugar from my diet.

In contrast to my old diet, this new food situation seems completely horrific. I know that this is an opportunity for me to change my life around and do better by myself but there are still times when it feels so daunting! Reading the advice given on this forum, which I just discovered today, has helped some but it's really hard to take in the fact that my old (gluttonous) life is over. :(

I am in my early 30s. It just feels like such a long, hard road to follow. :(

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Hello Bubble

I know it feels like it at the moment, but it's not all doom and gloom. You're in your early thirties and with the right changes you're going to live a long and much healthier life. It takes a while to work out the right regime for yourself and then everything will seem more positive.

Daisy will be along in a bit with her Welcome post as will one of our low-carb geniuses.

Any questions? Just ask :)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Why is it, I would have thought good meat with cream sauces would be a gourmands dream, lovely veg cooked in garlic butter, fish etc. The only thing you are changing is the bad stuff like pasta (which gets boring) rice, only with curry or risotto, bread - with what jam!. Loads of lovely food without the carbs.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Bubble and welcome to the forum :) There are lots of lovely things to eat - you only have to look at the Low Carb Diet Forum to see the sorts of things you can eat. There are many experienced low carb cooks here who can give you some advice too. Here is the information we give to new members and you should find that helpful too. Ask all the questions you like and someone will have an answer.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please sign our e-petition for free testing for all type 2's; here's the link:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/petition/

Do get your friends and colleagues to sign as well.

Bubblezzz

Thank you for the replies and advise.

Dawnmc, yes, those choices do sound delicious but I want so much more. :( Just off the top of my head, I already miss and could cry for: a good fiery Phad Thai noodles dish, the best braised chicken rice, yummy sushi rice rolls, piping hot garlic naan fresh from the tandoor, hand-made steaming udon noodles, white steamed buns filled with delicious sweet roasted pork, a generous serving of cheesy lasagna, crusty, wood-fired magarita pizza... you get the drift and I could go on for a bit more. :crazy:

I guess I've just been taking my diet and health completely for granted and since being diagnosed, it feels like I've had the carpet pulled out from under me. I worry about my health and the possible complications (gangrene and possible limb amputation?!!!) but in complete honesty, it's the knowledge that I can never eat what I want and feel like ever again that gets me the most depressed. That's terrible I know and shows how much of a glutton I really am! :oops:

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have all been there. I miss so much but you have to look forward to living long and healthily. Their are special pastas and noodles that are very low carb cannot remember the name. But they are not really pasta.

Just look around here theirs loads of advise and receipes.

Food luck.

BlindFaith

Hi hon,
I completely sympathize with you - I'm recently diagnosed (about 6-8 weeks ago) and I struggled like mad at first.
I was angry, resistant, stubborn and at time very bratty about the whole thing.
I finally sat down and gave myself a talking to :lol: I registered here yesterday and I am so glad I did - it's been brilliant as everyone here is in the same boat and it's made me re-think my way of eating and how I look at food.

I shall be low carbing as of Monday and I'm quite excited about it; I'm ready to tackle this head-on now after being such a pain in the butt about it!

I know there will be foods that I'll miss (probably pasta if I'm honest) but I know that I have to do this for me and my health otherwise I'll never get my B.S down to a "normal" range.

Give yourself some time to adjust, read up on things (this site is chock-full of information) and talk to people about how they deal with their diabetes.
Once you've gotten used to the idea of being diabetic then you can move forward.

Mileana

Or make a day a week where you will do one of those favourite things (saturday for instance) combined with a nice long walk. And give it your very best on the other 6 days until you get used to it and perhaps your taste will change and you'll know a bit more about the other options available.

Never is a long time and can make you all discouraged. Small breaks while still over all going the right way are probably easier to manage - just make sure it is a rare occasion rather than every day, and you'll be better off. Have the sushi while leaving half the rice behind, have the lasagna with wholemeal pasta, a good salad and some courgette in it.

When I think about my own bad habits, sweet tooth and all that, the problem often isn't the very first bite or two - it is that I forget to stop. The taste and the enjoyment is in the first few bites, not in the remaining bit of the portion. Have some, stop, then top up with veggies and salad - sometimes.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Dude, you'll learn to appreciate food much more once you've stop spoiling it with stodgy carbs. After a year, it's difficult to remember why I even thought that pasta was worth eating, it just seems like tasteless gunk to me. Stop eating carbs, start eating more fat and you'll never look back.

MaryJ

totally agree,

You're old life IS over - your new life is just beginning.

I remember crying after I did a reading 2 hours after porridge and got a read of 15.2 - but that's healthy, NO ITS NOT.

You will get used to the new way of eating, which to be honest can be more satisfying, interesting and tasty than the carb filled **** of yesterday

Mary x

Unbeliever

Or -just be grateful you have a condition that can be controlled fairly easily by diet and that you have found your way here so soon after diagnosis.

millie_uk

was diagnosed last month and felt the same. I love food and it is a big part of my life. My bg must have been really high because of the problems I was having. It's only been a month for me this coming week but I can't say I am missing all my sweet foods.
I had my fasting bg down to 6.7 then been on holiday the past ten days. My bg's have been between 9 and 10.5 fasting since then, I haven't been eating junk but maybe eating too much. I had a carvery dinner one day but instead of loads of roasters I only had 2 small ones, this didn't put my bg up by much. today we had a pizza hut lunch. Instead of eating a whole pizza I had a starter of garlic prawns, gave the garlic bread to my partner, then we ordered one large thin crust pizza and I had 2 slices, then ate the topping off the third slice, mind you, I didn't eat all the dough from the second slice. I had a side salad and some diet coke. I was full and only put my bg up by 1.4 after 2 hours then it came down again.
If I want something sweet I have one sugar free Werthers or a square of 85% cocoa chocolate. I know I have made and will have to continue to keep up with the changes and already I have been clear of thrush and urine infections that I had for 7 months. I had an insect bite that didn't heal after 8 months but it has completely healed after one month of changes.
I know I will struggle to not eat but I really enjoy salads and fish, nuts, seeds etc so will be able to pick at these instead of all the junk I used to snack on.
In the long run I know it will benefit me greatly and hopefully keep,me from developing further complications or illnesses. I won't be put on any medication until three months visiting the clinic but know that I will end up on tablets but this will also benefit me.
And better to find out now rather than go uk diagnosed for more years and end up really I'll.
Good luck to you.
I have found this website really useful and everyone has been so helpful

Millie.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I find it's hard sometimes when the kids come in with bag of chips, or stuff themselves with sweets and cakes, I think they want to kill me now as all I do is tell them they are killing themselves and how many carbs in that junk then, found myself sat tutting at the missus this afternoon because she was eating a ham and cheese roll and then telling her to ditch the bread, I think she would like to kill me as well :lol: But then I went into the kitchen got out the old blender and made me some almond flour then rustled up some almond pancakes for my desert after my chicken salad, very nice too. I am finding low carbing an enjoyable challenge, It's really very good when you get into the swing of it.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
RoyG said:
...But then I went into the kitchen got out the old blender and made me some almond flour then rustled up some almond pancakes for my desert...

And the recipe for Almond Pancakes is ? They sound delicious.

Rhiannonalan

I do understand how you feel. I was diagnosed three weeks ago and I too am a real foodie. But, I have been cooking and my family have enjoyed my low carb offerings. Tonight we had hake topped with a Parmesan and spring onion layer and courgette fritters in a cheesy tomato sauce. Both very nice and high fat so kept me satisfied all night. Even my four year old granddaughter enjoyed it. It's better to take on the challenge and see what you can eat/ make and enjoy it. It will get easier

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hello Bubble and welcome to the forum.

Bit of a shock when you're first diagnosed but there are loads of nice things to eat in fact far nicer than the starch you think is nice now! I was diagnosed in December last year and using the advice I found on this site I got my blood sugar levels back to normal within around a couple of months or so and I have also normalised my cholesterol levels and blood pressure as well. I have now lost over 50lbs in weight too and 10" off my waist measurement. Not a cure as I have to be very careful what I eat but I'm feeling loads better now I'm back in control. My doctor is very pleased how I am getting on and has advised me to keep doing exactly what I have been doing since it's obviously working really well.

Diet wise its really easy. Just drastically cut down or better cut out all things with plain sugar, so biscuits, cakes, sugar in tea and coffee, pure fruit juices, non diet versions of soft drinks. Next and really importantly try halving starchy foods like rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, cereals and any other flour based products. Replace what's now missing with extra meat, fish, eggs, cheese and especially vegetables. Vegetables that grow above ground are best although most of us find carrots fine. Things like yoghurt are fine as is a small amount of fresh fruit. I find the ones that end in "berry" are the best. If you don't mind artificial sweeteners things like Diet Coke are fine to drink. On the starchy foods that are left swap try brown basmati rice instead of white and brown or tri-colour pasta. The bread that most recommend is actually Bergen soya bread but some do ok with wholemeal as well.

The above diet is close to one you would be one recommended to try by the Swedish Health service. It was introduced in that country last year and the American health service and several other countries health services recommend something very similar for Type 2 diabetics. In the UK the diet guidelines are now over 30 years old and are only gradually being updated. As the UK is lagging behind you may find what I and other forum members recommend will be different to what your are told is a good diet for you follow.

Did your doctor mention giving you a meter and strips to measure your own blood sugars?. Some do and some don't. It's a bit of a post code lottery and we find some progressive surgeries are pro testing and others anti. I'll warn you the anti ones can sometimes be very vocally anti!

The reason testing is important is you should try and keep your blood sugars below 8ish two hours after eating any meal. Above the 8 value is where the dangers of complications do begin to occur according to diabetic experts. So if you can't test how will you now if what you are eating is keeping you safe? The problem is every diabetic is different so my earlier advice to halve starchy foods is just a rough guide. You may find you need to eat less than half (like me) or that you can eat more than half like others.

As you get into it all and read around the forum you may see people talking about carb counting. If you want to understand what that is just ask. It is a powerful weapon that a diabetic can use to control their condition and one that many of us use to great effect.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

PS Here's two good links about what's good to eat.

First is the lady doctor who's low carb / low GI recommendations seem to form the basis of what's recommended in Sweden

http://blogg.passagen.se/dahlqvistannika/?anchor=my_lowcarb_dietary_programe_in

Second is a good beginners guide to low carb regimes that are excellent for reducing blood sugar levels and losing weight.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

There are also loads of brilliant recipes on the forum. You can find them here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4871. My favourite is Cheeseburger Pie which you'll find near the end.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Ambersilva said:
RoyG said:
...But then I went into the kitchen got out the old blender and made me some almond flour then rustled up some almond pancakes for my desert...

And the recipe for Almond Pancakes is ? They sound delicious.

1 cup of almond floor,Normal un-blanched from Tesco 200g bag £2 (ouch)
2 eggs
1/4 cup of water
1 tbs olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tbs splender
1/2 cap vanilla essence
10g of vanilla whey powder. (optional) adds more protein
Mix all the above using a whisk in a bowl.
Lightly oil your pancake pan and off you go until golden brown and firm, the mixture above has been modified slightly from one I got hence a few grams more protein and some more calories. But they hit the sweet spot and I thought tasted delicious and filling.

Each pancake has 1.3 gram effective carbohydrate, plus 2 grams of fiber, 10 grams of protein, and 180 calories.

Reactions: 2 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can cut out the middleman and buy your almonds already ground. They are just called ground almonds (and are the same as what Americans would call almond flour), you find them on the baking aisle and are best known for making marzipan. The cheapest shop I have found them in is Aldi. I use them to make museli less carby.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
))Denise(( said:
You can cut out the middleman and buy your almonds already ground. They are just called ground almonds (and are the same as what Americans would call almond flour), you find them on the baking aisle and are best known for making marzipan. The cheapest shop I have found them in is Aldi. I use them to make museli less carby.
I'm the middle man and smashing your nut's to pieces is a good stress reliever, then you have the blender shaking to ensure you get them all, that's good exercise. I looked high and low for ground ones our Aldi never had them.