My poor toe!!!!!

Dippy3103

Hi. Not completely diabetes related.....but most of the wisest heads I have ever met on the tinternet are from this forum.
A couple of weeks ago i managed to drop my sofa on my toe. It flaming hurt! Anyway said toe went pink and a bit puffy... Now the pinkness and swelling has died down and the darn thing has started to tingle a bit and feels a bit numb. It did hurt untill a few days ago.
So, oh wise ones, do I leave it for a bit longer (as I probably would have before) or on the basis that I am diabetic, go and wiggle it (the toe that is) at my GP.
Can't be broken, surely that would be a lot more painful.
My poor abused feet....
Thanks in anticipation of any advice/opinions.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Dippy.
I'm not going to ask how you managed to drop a sofa on your toe........ :shock:

I would suggest that you get it checked out. If you have an A&E nearby or a drop in centre go there. It might need an X-Ray to see if it is broken. If not then see your GP. I have broken toes a few times.....don't ask. ......they aren't always that painful. So I would rule nothing out. I went for months with a broken wrist and that was just bruised and tender on the outside. Best to get it checked.

Ken

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dippy,

I would certainly at the very least go along and see your gp and 'wiggle it' in front of him. With having diabetes complications can soon creep in with foot injuries and it is always wise to seek medical attention at the first opportunity available.

Good luck!

Nigel

Dippy3103

Thanks both.
I was picking up the end of the sofa to move it out from the recently wallpapered wall, not wanting to mark the paper. First aid was given in the shape of a cold compress and a large glass of red!! I was dead miffed cos I chipped my newly varnished toe nails to add insult to injury.
I shall go and show my dr then...

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Remove the nail varnish from that toe before you go to doctor's. He will want to see the colour of the nail beds.

Dippy3103

Cheers Sue, I will chisel it off for the occasion. It wouldn't have ocurred to me to do it but now you say it makes perfect sense.
On the upside I can report that my new sofa looks great and is of good, solid construction!

Dippy3103

Thought I'd post an update/ moan a bit more.
Rang my drs and can't see a dr untill tuesday unless an absolute emergency (to quote the receptionist). A sore toe of a good few weeks standing does not seem a good enough reason to take an appointment that someone with a sick child might need. So I rang NHS direct for advice.
They suggested that I visit our local minor injuries unit. So off I went. Only to be told by the miu that my sofa v foot moment was too long ago for them and I must see my gp. To be fair the nurse gave it a quick once over and taped it to it's neighbour before sending me back to the gp that can't see me till tuesday! What really annoys me is I told nhs direct when I did it, so why was I sent somewhere that won't see me. To be fair to actually look at the toe there is nothing obviously wrong with it.
In the mean time here I am with a toe that is becoming more numb, painful to put any pressure on and generally very odd.
I know there is nothing I can do but wait, but I feel happier having a darn good moan about it! Thanks for reading.

anniep

I had my annual foot check this week, and was told if I every have any problem at all with my feet to go to the doctors. In fact she said that I should ask for an emergency appointment and not wait the week it usually takes to get a routine appointment with my doctor.

anniep

I know what you mean about feeling that an old injury is not an emergency I would feel the same, but if it is getting worse...

What you said about the minor injuries was interesting, I didn't know that they had a time limit on injuries! do you have a walk in centre can they treat old injuries?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In my own experience with NHS Direct, they are as much use as a chocolate frying pan! I would rather wait and see my gp, call out the emergency doctor service or attend A & E......of course depending on the circumstances and the nature of the ailment.

Nigel

Dippy3103

noblehead said:
In my own experience with NHS Direct, they are as much use as a chocolate frying pan! I would rather wait and see my gp, call out the emergency doctor service or attend A & E......of course depending on the circumstances and the nature of the ailment.

Nigel
I think I have to agree! Great for helping find the duty pharmacy but that is about it.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dippy
contact theNHS podiatry service local to you. as A DIABETIC, YOU CAN SELF REFER. Tell them it has become an emergency.
Hana