my protein snacks spikes sugars

richard077

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Indian food lamb
I recently got some food from my protein and i found my sugar was going high short time after eating them, , even do i took carbs that was on label i find i have to take more insulin for these snacks and just wondering if any one else has tried these snacks and any advice would be appreciated.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep if you are low carbing then you now need to start counting protein. Use 50% of the protein to get the carb equivalent. Especially if food is fatty you might have to split bolus to allow for a delayed rise.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep if you are low carbing then you now need to start counting protein. Use 50% of the protein to get the carb equivalent. Especially if food is fatty you might have to split bolus to allow for a delayed rise.

Yup. But it has to be very low carb. Even broccol or green beans will spike me. I probably eat 3 carbs each meal. The rest is protein and fat.

There is another thread about insulin and carbs but adding protein throw it all off. I am the opposite. I eat protein and fat but very little carbs. The whole balanced meal can throw insulin dosing off.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's important to note the difference in how protein affects someone with type 1 vs. type 2.

There have been several studies done on the matter which essentially found that excess protein had little correlation to hyperglycemia in people with type 2, but did with many people with type 1.

From memory, I believe the study found that excess protein DID help avoid hypoglycemia for insulin-dependent people with type 2.

Either way, excess protein DOES affect your body's ability to reach ketosis. However, it's still unknown exactly how our bodies use glucose sourced from excess protein, but it does seem to be used much differently than glucose sourced from carbohydrates.