My really good blood meter

kyoung09

Im seventeen and have had this glucose testing meter for a year now. I've seen that many children and adults use huge ones, and that this might be a lot easier!

Freestyle lite - abott

its a size of an egg, and its marvellous and discreet. It also allows me to test my blood from my arms, palms, fingers, and legs. basically anywhere! It would stop fingers hurting and i think its painless on the arms. might even encourage kiddies to do it more. Probably more expensive and thats why people a reluctant to give them out but you can buy them in boots i've seen. Don't know if that helps? but i see it a lot and i just think anything which helps in the slightest is a big big help.

sandymaynard

Hi
i have the same meter! It is a great little meter! Nice little bag to keep it in! The lancet pen is good with it as well!
Sandy

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have the older Freestyle Mini and I find it excellent. Abbott, provide a first rate service to diabetics.

bowness15

That machine looks very good!

I have have been using the onetouch Ultra Easy which is very thin and approx 3.5 inch long at most.

I also use the one touch Ultra Smart but never use all the functions it has.

http://www.onetouchasia.com/apac/img/4.1.1.3.1.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ArqWmL_nigigzM:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Ouf%252Bwh1lL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Abbott have just upgraded me from my Mini to a freestyle Lite.I like it and they've supplied me with all the computer gear to go with too.

Fujifilm

I have been using the optium xceed (abott) for years and although its nice and small I hate all three that I have for many reasons although the foil warapped sticks are a good idea. I also have a G2 medisense credit card meter that I love but hate the sticks which error out so many times.

BUT

I just got sent a onetouch Ultra Easy and a onetouch Ultra Smart and I love them both :D

The onetouch ultra easy is nice and small, clear screen and fits nice in the pocket so great for when you are out and about and best of all uses the same sticks as the ultra smart. Only small down side is the fiddly sticks and you would have thought there would have been a small slide compartment on the meter to store the sticks. You don't want to be carrying a small tub of sticks about.

The onetouch ultra smart is great for all you carb counters. You can record, carbs, protein, calories. etc. The bit I am made up with is being able to record insulin taken and what time I took it, (has input for tablets as well and pumps). You can record your health. ie. feeling hypo. You can enter your health check results such as Hab1c.

Basically all the things you mean to write down but forget to do. :D and it also sucks blood up the sticks like a leech. :D so the tiniest amount is enough.

The only gripe with this one is the writing for the data input on the screen is a bit small not a problem if your eyes are good.

I am very happy with them both and customer service was excellent. Also free data cable and software available to upload info to computer.

My main moan about meter manafacturers is that they do not take into account that a lot of peeps want a meter thats easy to carry about in the pocket, nice case is great for the office or the handbag but what about on a building site, in the garden. If I am not feeling too good I want to get it out my pocket and test quick as possible.

Just waiting for the next generation of meter which I hope will use menu systems like mobiles and the ability to type information into them. In fact I want a meter thats a mobile phone as well, and when it is opened up has "I am diabetic" on the screen and displays my info, and has a direct dial button to someone who knows what to do in an emergency, and, and, and :mrgreen:

tmohammad

Dislikes
NHS guidlines denying me test strips!
Accuracy of Meters

Has anyone compared how accurate they are? I have an Abbot Freestyle meter and and Accu-Check Aviva meter.

If I take readings at the same time, the readings can differ between 0.5 & 1.5 mmol/l!!!

With the Abbot meter showing a higer reading than the Accu-Check all the time.

I prefer the Abbot as the strips are cheaper on Ebay... Yes I have to pay for the strips as my doc wont prescribe them. They would be happy to offer me FREE nicotine patches if I was a smoker, but NOT test strips. Another example of an unfair NHS system.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi.

Meter accuracy has been discussed here many times. You will NEVER get the same reading when using two different meters, they are all as accurate as the EC specification allows. Stick to one meter and then you won't get confused or annoyed.

Here is a link to a previous thread about the subject.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10790&p=101185&hilit=meter+accuracy#p101185

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a load of different meters. I currently use two meters, the freestyle mini which I've used for years and is ideal for popping in your pocket and taking it with you.

The other meter I've been using at work for a few month now is the Bayer Didget. This meter is similar to the contour (uses same sticks) and I like it as you have the option to mark each test with a pre-meal, post-meal and small book marker on the system. Tests are quick (5secs) and don't need much blood, so I prefer it to most others. The didget works with the Nintendo DS, it comes with a game and the tester can be plugged in the DS and good test results will reward players. The game is average, but I reckon it'd be good for getting kids to control their levels.

I got a Bayer Breeze 2 from this website. Its a decent tester. It uses a little bit more blood than other testers and its of quite a bulky size. What I like is that 10 strips are contained in barrel at the back of the tester. Refills are easily done by taking the old foil barrel out and loading up a new one, like a revolver gun I guess.

The most recent tester I've got is the TRUEone All-In-One. This is similar to the pot you get with freestyle mini or contour strips (50 per pot), only a small blood tester is at the top of the pot. This makes the pot a little taller but I think this is a very good idea. All I'm after now is a tiny finger pricker to put inside the pot and then I've got an ultra portable glucose tester!
Heres a link to the TRUEone
http://www.medicalshop.co.uk/product.php?productid=229&section=6

stuart bilbey

hi i use the abbott free style free from my doctors easy to use and soft ware was free too. and the
co pilot health management system is excelent every thing is easy to use.

Fujifilm

adrian29459 said:
The didget works with the Nintendo DS, it comes with a game and the tester can be plugged in the DS and good test results will reward players.

What happens if you have bad results? :lol:

SWMHO1

Abbot Freestyle Lite is an excellent tester, very small, compact with good results screen, mean average glucose reading facility, plus it stores all results. It comes with a mini light that illuminates the teststrip if used in the dark or ill lit areas.
Also available via the Abbott web site is the software and leads all completely free of charge !!, plus they also send you free test solutions and batteries.
I was given one free in a Diabetes Roadshow, and have since purchased another from local Asda for a mere £4. !!

john12188

the meter i was sent from bayer is great , its small and easy to use and dont need loads of blood .very handy to carry around . and is not painfull to use :D

Nexus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Accuchek compact plus, the best ever, test strips are inside the meter, the finger pricker is clipped to the side. No messing about, I've even used it whilst riding my bike !

I have a friend who used to work in the diabetes clinic. She told me never to buy meters - just ask the team or phone the manufacturers. They are happy to give them away because they make their money on the sticks. Abbott are fantastic because they send you the data cable and co-pilot software to help you manage your condition. We have an optium exceed purely for ketone testing, but it was a nightmare when we first got it - madam kept losing the calibration strips! She is older and wiser now and puts the c-strips in her safe.