my son

girlguide

hi there i'm type 1 diabetic and have been for 20years. My son is 2 and not diabetic but out of interest i did his blood sugar yesterday and it was 14mmol/l even tho he's not eating at the moment. My diabetic clinic have told me to write a diary to see if it changes and so far i haven't got it down pass 8.5mmol/l could any one let me know if this is still high or normal as can't find it anywhere on the net. He also sweat's alot needs to eat at regular times or like me has a wobbler :) and also wee's a lot been changing nappies up 6 times a day thanks alot x

leggott

Hi.
We cannot diagnose on this forum, so it is important that you take him to your GP straight away or A&E.

When my kids were diagnosed they were displaying similar symptoms - drinking more and going to the toilet frequently. Having said that those symptoms can be the result of other conditions ie. a urine infection.

Leggott

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't know much about children, but normal blood glucose for non-diabetic adults is about 4.7. By any calcu;lation and allowing for children to vary a lot from adults, those numbers you are quoting for your son are high
See the doctor ASAP
Hana

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi girlguide,

As far as I'm aware, the normal blood sugar range for an infant is the same as that for a child or adult, so what you've described are abnormal levels. A trip to your GP can't do any harm. Things like stress, illness and certain medications can all cause high blood sugar, so it doesn't necessarily have to be diabetes.

All the best,
timo.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it were my son I'd take him to see a GP at the earliest opportunity. Why is he not eating at the moment? Is he unwell? Increased thirst and urination are symptoms of diabetes.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
hanadr said:
I don't know much about children, but normal blood glucose for non-diabetic adults is about 4.7. By any calcu;lation and allowing for children to vary a lot from adults, those numbers you are quoting for your son are high
See the doctor ASAP
Hana

Just as aside, I did some random testing with my entire family the other Sunday before lunch (my Dad was convinced he would be the lowest!) and got the following:

Mum - 6.2
Dad - 5.7
Sister - 5.5
Daughter - 5.7
OH - 6.3
Bro in law - 6.5
Me - 6.2
Stepson - 7.1

Non diabetic fasting levels can be above 4.7, sooooo many factors depend.

14mmol is high for anyone, diabetic or not. Hope you manage to get some answers asap :)

jopar

Have you followed the same testing periods with meals etc... As this are the same, before a meal and 2 hours after...

I would pop him along to the doctors, your doc then can rule out or confirm any underlying infection that might be boasting his Blood Glucose... And if any further action is required or not..

I know where you are coming from as I used to get concerned with my lot still do in many ways even though they now all between 18-22 years of age... My lot will all tell you that when they were growing up, if they fell over and grassed themselves, mum picked them up and nabbed a BG from the blood :roll: Any signs of excessive thirst or too many visits to the loo finger test (they didn't like that at all) funny thing was though, it was there dad who would notice extra fluid intake or extra visits to the loo and it would be dad who insisted that a BG check was done.. so far none of my lot have taken after me and become a diabetic...

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Well, I hope your son doesn't have any illness or diabetes but as Leggott wrote, there is only one place for diagnosis. I am surprised that your son wouldn't get a blood test to check for diabetes rather than doing regular testing. Did they at least give him a bit of a check up or urine test?

Khaleb was DKA with a blood sugar level of 86mmol with symptoms that started on a Monday and had him in intensive care by Wednesday morning. I just thought he was ill with a virus even though the excitement at getting a drink was a little over enthusiastic.

I've also done some non diabetic testing on my family, like debloubed. Non diabetic blood sugar still varies quite a bit. Mine for instance is more likely to be in the 5-7 range during the day but low 4's first thing in the morning. My 15 year old son has blood sugar in the 4's nearly all the time - if only youth wasn't so wasted on the young.

Hope you let us know how things go - even if it just to tell us he is fine.