Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMG_7576.PNG
Since diagnosis in May I've been recording my blood sugars in the app Glucose Companion, I love the graphs it produces. However I read a post from someone last week that MySugr provided an estimated HbA1c reading. So I laboriously entered my three months of readings into my MySugr. How accurate have people found the HbA1c estimate on 8 readings/day? Also what does deviation +/-0.2mmols/l mean as in this screen shot?

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't help with your answers I'm afraid, but what I can tell you is that there help desk is awesome! When I was looking at it I mailed them a couple of times and got very, very quick responses. Often within the hour.

Give them a try.

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
I used it although probably not as many readings as you per day.

Estimates 5% actual reading at time of test was 5.7% and that was the months of data between diagnosis and my 1st test.

I continue to use it and my estimate remains the same.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't help with your answers I'm afraid, but what I can tell you is that there help desk is awesome! When I was looking at it I mailed them a couple of times and got very, very quick responses. Often within the hour.

Give them a try.
Thank you! I'll try that if no one here knows

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Havnt had the chance yet to compare the estimate to a lab test, but things I read on various diabetes foums before getting the app were generally v positive re how indicative the estimates are - time will tell!

https://mysugr.com/hba1c-whats-behind-this-important-test/
Thank you! That makes things a bit clearer. I'm thinking that a deviation of +/-0.2 is good according to the premise that it should read less than a third of your average (as per Gary Scheiner). I think I understand it to be a measurement of the difference between highest and lowest? Indicating that my levels are not swinging madly.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The variation is your mean variation in levels, from lowest to highest with several tweaks done by the app. My Accu chek Mobile will also produce this variation level, but of course the calculation isn't a straightforward difference between highest and lowest. The average is calculated, then any above or below that average are calibrated somehow to produce a standard variation.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The variation is your mean variation in levels, from lowest to highest with several tweaks done by the app. My Accu chek Mobile will also produce this variation level, but of course the calculation isn't a straightforward difference between highest and lowest. The average is calculated, then any above or below that average are calibrated somehow to produce a standard variation.

You also have to remember that your 8 tests a day will not produce a true average, and will not catch all the highest or all the lowest, and certainly not the length of time you are at the highest or lowest. Only CGMs do this, and sadly the Libre doesn't give a standard variation figure like some others.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use MySugr - the HbA1C number is an estimate, and probably is missing spikes directly after eating. My last blood test gave me HbA1C of 39, whilst the app was more often aroubd 34/35. Ive read posts from other people with similar lab figures a bit higher than the estimate

Sent from my HTC 10 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use MySugr - the HbA1C number is an estimate, and probably is missing spikes directly after eating. My last blood test gave me HbA1C of 39, whilst the app was more often aroubd 34/35. Ive read posts from other people with similar lab figures a bit higher than the estimate

Sent from my HTC 10 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
That's good to know. I do understand that even with my eight readings a day that spikes and dips can be missed. I'll let you know how accurate it proves to be for me next month when I have my next HbA1c

Eldra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Deviation is either standard deviation or standard error of the mean I guess (abbreviated STD and SEM usually).
You can google them to learn more about them but basically it tells you how much you sugat varies. Basically:

If you have two readings such as 4 and 7, your average will be 5,5.
If you have two readings such as 5 and 6, your average will be 5,5 also. But you vary less and thus your deviation (from the mean) is less.

This is an important variable because big roller coaster values are awful for your health, for instance if you spike massively after a meal and get hypos during the night.

Regarding the hba1c, it estimates it based on the 90 days average. But I think overall it will underestimate your real value by say 5 points about, because people don't test their blood 1h after the meal, and usually that's when it's the highest. Therefore your post meal BS is not taken into account in the estimate, which biases it slightly toward the lows. The less you spike after a meal the less this should be true however.

I have had only 1 test since I started using this app, and it was estimating it 4 points lower than reality. However I have been changing my diet a lot (trying to destroy those stupid spikes) and my estimate a month before the test was the exact same as the real value I got. I would like to see what value it gives me when I have a stable lifestyle over three months.

I think it is great overall nonetheless, because if it goes down it means you are doing things right. If it goes up it should trigger you alarm before nasty habits settle in. So it is actually very useful to me.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My app Hba1c was higher than my actual test, which I was happy about, as it had been going down anyway ! The app said 7.3 % and my 'official' test was 7%

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The results are in! On the day my HbA1c was taken MySugr was estimating a reading of 34.4, my actual result came out as 36, so pretty close :)

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's great news! I'm hovering in the mid 30s on MySugr now and would be thrilled to get a result like that in November

Reactions: Rachox