My Type 1 Diabetes in Numbers

Diabetes Yoyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Type 1 Diabetes in Numbers

• 4 to 7. The ideal level of my sugar levels in mmol/L
  • 8. The length of the needle in millimetres I use to inject insulin. The combined length of needles I use per year is 11.68 meters. This means that so far I have used 175 meters of needles, nearly twice the height of the Statue of Liberty.
  • 34. The number of units of insulin I inject, on average, per day. This means that I inject 12,410 units of insulin per year; this equals to 124ml of insulin per year. So far, I have injected nearly 1.9 litres of insulin in me, equal to a big bottle of Coke.
  • 48. The number of hours I spend at a doctor’s waiting room per year. This means that I have spent a full month of my life so far to see a diabetic nurse / doctor.
  • 2,190. The number of finger pricks I make per year. This means that so far I have pricked my fingers 32,850 times to check my sugar levels.
  • 34,000,000. The estimated number of my brothers and sisters in the world, who also suffer from type 1 diabetes, based on the fact that 10% of all diabetes sufferers have type 1 diabetes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people