1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

my type

Discussion in 'Type 2 with Insulin' started by lynbrown, Oct 20, 2015.

1. lynbrown

lynbrown · Well-Known Member

I am T2 but also take insulin. Am I therefore "insulin dependant?"

2. Ski fit

Ski fit Type 2 · Member

Erm, yes!! Just like me and everyone else in the world! We all depend on insulin but your pancreas doesn't produce enough of it so if you want to maintain a healthy blood glucose level then you will need to supplement what your pancreas produces by injecting too. Hope it's not too painful for you and if you're new to it then don't worry, there are far worse things in life and I'm sure you'll get used to it. Best of luck.

3. Mep

Mep Type 2 · Well-Known Member

are you on insulin only? Or are you on basal insulin along with oral meds? I know some type 2's are only on basal insulin to supplement the oral meds they're on. At this stage they're considered in secondary failure (oral drugs not as effective) so they need the assistance... but they're still producing insulin. But if it is the case you no longer produce enough of your own insulin then you'd need both basal and bolus insulins to get through your day as oral meds won't work... and yes you'd be classed as insulin dependant. I use basal & bolus and no oral meds. Welcome :)

4. joffy01582

joffy01582 · Active Member

Do you're not insulin dependant as your body still makes insulin although its not being used by the body so you need extra insulin

5. joffy01582

joffy01582 · Active Member

T1 insulin dependant T2 not

6. misswhiplash

misswhiplash Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. T2 sometimes (not by any means always) can progress to a state where the pancreas no longer produces enough or any insulin. At this point, one would be insulin dependent T2.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Mep

Definitely incorrect advice there I'm sorry.... I'm type 2 insulin dependant. I do not produce hardly any insulin, the same as a type 1. The only difference between the 2 types at this stage is how the insulin production was destroyed in the body. With type 1 the antibodies destroy the insulin, with type 2 the pancreas stresses out and beta cell damage is the result which means your pancreas is no longer producing insulin like it should. Yes, a type 2 can start out with their own insulin, then the disease tends to progress. Don't ever just assume a type 2 is not insulin dependant. Also never tell a type 2 they don't have to be on insulin.... you don't know whether or not they are producing insulin themselves. The c-peptide test is what shows the endocrinologist whether or not you need insulin. In my case, I was told I now need to be on insulin for life.... I've been on full time insulin therapy since beginning of 2010. Prior to that, when I was first diagnosed I was diet controlled only for the first 7 years, then I was on various oral medications for the next 5 years.... then insulin. I probably should've been on insulin a lot sooner as well.

• Like Like x 8
  8. lizbet9

lizbet9 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm type 2 and insulin dependent on novo rapid and levemir

9. Vidusi

Vidusi Type 2 · Member

I agree that you can be insulin dependent when diagnosed as type 2 as the body may cease to produce its own insulin after years of being type 2 on tablets.
    Moreover I was told that as I am type 2 I could not have a hypo, wrong, I have had quite a few including passing out completely and breaking ribs.

10. Mep

Oh that's a worry being told T2's don't hypo :eek: Yes, I've definitely had a lot of hypos over the years. My first hypo was when I was on metformin only. Of course I've read how no one can ever have a hypo on metformin... wrong. Now I'm on insulin I've definitely had a lot more hypos. But yes, type 2's definitely get hypos. I hypo when I fall below 4.5 on my meter. My endo explained it is because my sugar level is dropping too quick and I have to stay above 5 at all times as that is considered my 'safe' number. So that is my aim. I ignore advice that you can only hypo below 4. My body definitely reacts below 4.5 most times, next thing I know if I don't treat it quickly I'm in the 3's or 2's. With my first hypo I walked into a wall and I was 4.2 on the meter.... had the shakes, sweat, the works. To this day if I'm walking and I hypo I pull to the left and walk into walls, shelves, all sorts of things. I have times where I can't feel my feet on the ground too. Endo explained that is because my judgment is the first to be affected... so I lose my balance, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook