My Weight Loss Diary

BlueTwist

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I thought I would create a thread to support me on my own weight loss journey. I hope this is allowed? I feel it is going to help motivate me on a journey I should have undertaken donkey years ago! I am a failed dieter time and time again.

Having been a Type 2 for 10 years, I am at a point where I am heading for insulin, and I want to avoid that since side effects of weight gain worries me like crazy.

I have read so much about other people’s success on LCHF diets that I figure it is the way for me to go, but counting carbs etc. is something I just cannot get my head around (any links to websites for information gratefully received)

I am a junk food addict, I use it to control my emotions and more than likely it is a comfort blanket for my loneliness and isolation.

I have been on Metformin for 10 years, and take 2000mg daily, along with 360mg of Gliclazide. I have just started Bydureon this week. I next see my diabetic consultant in 4 months and Bydureon is a last ditch attempt to get my HbA1c down and my weight. My last HbA1c was 119 in May. For the last 18 months, it has been incredibly high, but I was only referred to the diabetic centre in June, and that only happened after my practice nurse overruled my GP!

At one point, my HbA1c was of a normal range on Victoza and because of weight loss, but once the Victoza was stopped the HbA1c crept up. I stopped Victoza because of the side effects.

I want to prove to people I can take control, I especially want to lose weight for my own health, I am tired of being exhausted and ultimately I want to return to work after years of being on benefits due to my mental health problems.

So here, I am… ready to take control!

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi I know all about the gradual weight gain.
I over ten years grew to a 38 waist line and nearly 17 stone.

I found the LCHF lifestyle and now am down to a 32 waist and just under 12 stone.
This is no gimmick it works!

Reduce all your carbs and sugars
Reduce your plate size
Reduce your snacks.
Reduce your low or no fats.

Increase your full fats
Increase your exercise, this means just an extra half hour stroll around the block.
Increase your water drinking
Increase your salt intake.

There are many other little things that will help achieve weight loss and more importantly your blood glucose levels.
Make sure you read the low carb forum for ideas and recipes.
It is not a diet, it is a lifestyle! This should be for life!
Once you are in control, you can gradually increase your carbs, but having the success like I have, why bother?

Reactions: 4 people

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My local NHS Trust Health Trainer has put me on a low sugar, low carb diet. I went to see her on the 10 September 2015 and have lost 5 pound up to today (21 Sept).

I was given a 2 week food diary to fill in every day and each day is broken up into 6 sections - Breakfast, mid morning, Lunch, mid afternoon, Evening, evening snack.

I have gone onto the Internet and asked "How much sugar is in ..." or "How much carb is in ..."
I have then gone to my fridge and cupboards and made a list of all the food that I had, and have made a list of the items showing the sugar and carb values.

Anything with high sugar and carb values has gone one of the local food banks.

I have been reading up on Xylitol Sweetener and have adapted one of my cake recipes using about 50g less than stated.

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm on this NHS Health Trainer for 12 weeks and I'm currently on week 5. Up to date I've lost 8 pounds since my last update on here on 21 Sept. I'm walking nearly a mile a day which helps (I bought a new pedometer that works properly).

Reactions: 4 people