Type 2 Nasal Spray

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Alcohol, walking on stoney ground, cutting the grass,politicians in general!
I just wondered if anyone had used Otrivine and then got high a blood sugar result. Mine is normally around 5.6 - 6.8 but since I have been using this spray for sinusitis I noticed it was around 9. I haven't done anything different so wondered if it was the spray.

C

catherinecherub

If the spray contains steroids then it will make a difference to your blood sugars as will infected sinuses.
Hopefully within a few days of treatment not being necessary then things will return to normal.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I just wondered if anyone had used Otrivine and then got high a blood sugar result. Mine is normally around 5.6 - 6.8 but since I have been using this spray for sinusitis I noticed it was around 9. I haven't done anything different so wondered if it was the spray.
It's more than likely the sinus condition causing the higher blood sugars. The decongestant should have info on the patient leaflet. The dose you squirt up your nose is so diluted it's very doubtful that it would cause raised blood sugars.

Reactions: 2 people

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Alcohol, walking on stoney ground, cutting the grass,politicians in general!
Many thanks for replying. I suffer with my sinuses a lot and it has never normally affected my blood sugars. I was just prescribed this Otrivine - xylometazoline which is very good but I noticed my blood sugars had shot up to 9! Oh well I shall stop using it and go back to the GP. Do asthma sprays that contain steroids affect blood sugars then?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
They can do my Gp has taken me off the steroid asthma spray as I am taking 15mg of prednisolone a day he said there was too much steroids getting into my system.

Any steroid that gets into your system can have an effect this includes topical creams but the effect can vary from minimal to larger effects.