Naturally sensing your blood sugar

TypeIIDieter

I've been monitoring my blood sugar since last November, and I think I've started to figure out a few rules to sense certain concentrations. Namely:

* If I hold my arms out with elbows bent about 90 degrees, thumbs up, and pay attention to how the lower end of my bicep muscle feels, about two inches above the bend, the feeling seems to depend on blood sugar. If it is above 100 it feels normal. If it is in the 90s I feel a very slight "disquieting" feeling, an "I have to stretch my legs" feeling, like a high-pitched singing in the muscle. If it's in the 80s I feel a definite tremble which is visible when I look at my hand. I haven't gotten below that often.

* If my blood sugar goes very high after eating, 180 or more, I think it gives a sort of "glassy-eyed" feeling, or some kind of pressure behind the eyes, or something. But I haven't gone that high enough to tell, that I know of, fortunately.

* Unfortunately, I haven't worked out any reliable rules for the more common and problematic area of the 120s to 140s. I do get a sense of extreme fullness, sometimes almost verging into nausea, with a heavy heartbeat, when my levels go highest in the morning - BUT this can happen anywhere from 100s to 140s. I think these are "side effects" from my natural insulin secretion whenever my body tries to make a stand against the high blood sugar. Problem is, it doesn't always make that stand very well, and then, I don't feel that.

Does any of this sound like it's on the right track to you? Has anybody gone further and worked out a good set of methods to auto-sense this stuff? Because no matter how many times I fiddle with that meter I still get nasty surprises now and then - there's no substitute for just _knowing_.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I cant honestly say I have felt anything like this except a feeling of tiredness following a high carb intake, the last time was a cream tea with two English scones :shock: A lesson learned :lol:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
TypeIIDieter said:
If I hold my arms out with elbows bent about 90 degrees, thumbs up, and pay attention to how the lower end of my bicep muscle feels, about two inches above the bend, the feeling seems to depend on blood sugar.

Gave it a try this morning. I thought it felt best when I made my hand into a fist and raised my middle finger rather than my thumb so probably we are all different. As Sid said you can certainly get that tired feeling after eating lots of carbs.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.
Interesting topic, as I HAVE wondered many times if I could sense/know my own blood sugar levels accurately.
All I do know for certain is -
When am high sugared my head feels woozy and my joints ache, plus a feeling of heaviness tiredness kicks in.
Grumpy and bad tempered when high sugars, calm and sweet natured when within normal range of sugar levels.
Hubby has been known to say its time for some insulin to me, when I am "yelling" at him.... After teatime usually!
Apart from these signs and signals I havent a clue what or where I am . . . :roll:
So do depend on my testing kit for this.
Am often suprised when I think I should be within normal range to find out using my testing kit that I am NOT .... :eek:
TBH I give up trying to work it all out and depend on my testing kit 100% , it's easier !!!!
Anna.