Nearly successful vitrectomy.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
T1 had a vitrectomy this afternnoon. the right eye that had a retinal bleed a few months back and didn't clear. They did manage to tear the retina a bit, so he's had some silicone gel put in and has got to keep his head tilted for 45 minutes in every hour.for 5 days. He has to go for a post-op check up on Thursday afternoon I'll drive.( we did ask.he's allowed to) I saw the doctor when in went to collect him this evening and was told that they expect it to heal 100% in a couple of months or so.
I commented that if diabetics were given better dietary and control advice, this kind of thing would happen less frequently. the doctor agreed. This is the same hospital where the diabtetic consultant wrote a paper on the benefits of a high carb diet.( in 1981!!)
Still I'm hoping the retina will settle back properly. I have to go collect an eyedrop prescription tomorrow morning. The hospital pharmacy would have been very slow if we'd waited.So I have the prescription in my bag. T1 husband has been diabetic for about 35 years from his late 20s, so probably LADA
Anyone else have any experience with this surgery?

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
That's good news Hana. Hospital pharmacies are terribly slow, I never use them!

I saw a vitrectomy on the Discovery channel about 8 years ago, in a series called The Operation. I was riveted, it was fascinating, clever and effective (on a 25 year old I think).

Hi,

I had a vitrectomy a couple of years ago. I was completely blind in my right eye for about six months before they agreed to the op. I had a gas bubble inserted at the same time to keep the retina in place. I had to keep my head down for a few weeks (not days). The bubble slowly disappeared and it was like a level in my eye. It sank into the sea of my bottom eyelid!!! I have to say that my eye has been brilliant since. I have had lots of laser in both eyes, so much in fact that I can't have any more. Unfortunately, my left eye has had a large bleed but I am happy to say that it is dispersing, albeit very slowly! Phew!!!
Cheers
Heather

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Heather.
Welcome to the forum.

For those of you who, like me have no idea what a Vitrectomy is here is a link to information on what it is, how it is done and why. Amazing !!

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/vitrectomy.

Ken.