1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Need advice about porcine insulin

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by yumyum46, Jun 27, 2021.

1. yumyum46

yumyum46 · Newbie

Hello everyone,
    I have been using analog insulins since 1992 but i'v always had wanted to try porcine insulin for many reasons, one of them being I had several severe hypos because I do not feel the hypo until it's almost too late. But I live in France and Hypurin is absolutely unavailable. I don't know much about the UK health system so I would be very thankful if you took a few seconds to answer me : can I buy Hypurin in the UK without a prescription if I pay for it by myself? And do pharmacies have that insulin or is it difficult to get it even in the UK? Thanks a lot.

2. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Insulin is a controlled drug so only available by prescription

Wockhardt UK Seem to be the only supplier of animal insulin’s in the UK.

No longer bovine though

• Agree Agree x 2
    #2 Andydragon, Jun 27, 2021 at 5:45 PM
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  3. JMK1954

JMK1954 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I still use a porcine insulin and no, phamacies do not usually keep much insulin of any type in stock. They order it in when required for a particular prescription. People using porcine insulin are not common these days. It would be worth contacting the Independent Diabetes Trust and asking them your question. They campaign for patients to be able to choose their insulin and are a charity. Their website address is : - http://iddt.org

• Like Like x 2
    #3 JMK1954, Jun 27, 2021 at 7:57 PM
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook