need for calcium?

lynbrown

Following a tip in this site some months ago, I started to take Magnesium vitamins and am fairly sure they helped with tiredness problems. However a colleague has said one must always take calcium along with magnesium. Is this true?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Calcium, k2, vit D and magnesium are a good combination. I take all of them now. Years ago I was always, permanently tired and thought I needed 12 hours sleep at least a night!! Since taking this combination I literally have troubles sleeping! I sleep just from 12.30 till 6.20 every night. Even when wanting to go to sleep I don't feel tired! I'm bright when I wake and not tired.
I take the combination of these as I had cancer and have bowel problems as well and magnesium citrate is meant to help both as is calcium. Then calcium should be balanced with vit D3 and k2. I also take the purest d3 in liquid form and the purest vit d as many have aspartame in.

I haven't got proof it's down to these as I also changed to having 3 small meals a day and pretty much plant based foods except a wee bit of chicken or fish.

Something has dramatically changed my sleep and I am sure it's this combination. (Could of course just be a placebo effect of wanting to feel better and thinking they are working-lol!!!)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Low calcium is related to the thyroid function. I believe. Do you have your thyroid tested. Underactive thyroid causes tiredness.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have high serum calcium levels so I can't take Vitamin D I have been taking magnesium which I thought may help to lower the.serum calcium it didn't help but I have lots more energy so I have continued to take it .I am now trying vitamin k 2 I will have my calcium checked in3 months so I will see if it works Has anyone else tried to lower serum calcium levels ?
CAROL

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Calcium, k2, vit D and magnesium are a good combination. I take all of them now. Years ago I was always, permanently tired and thought I needed 12 hours sleep at least a night!! Since taking this combination I literally have troubles sleeping! I sleep just from 12.30 till 6.20 every night. Even when wanting to go to sleep I don't feel tired! I'm bright when I wake and not tired.
I take the combination of these as I had cancer and have bowel problems as well and magnesium citrate is meant to help both as is calcium. Then calcium should be balanced with vit D3 and k2. I also take the purest d3 in liquid form and the purest vit d as many have aspartame in.

I haven't got proof it's down to these as I also changed to having 3 small meals a day and pretty much plant based foods except a wee bit of chicken or fish.

Something has dramatically changed my sleep and I am sure it's this combination. (Could of course just be a placebo effect of wanting to feel better and thinking they are working-lol!!!)

Great combo to which I'd add Vit A based on Ivor Cummins recent superb video lecture on Vit D3:)

I take 10,000 IU D3, 10,000IU A with 600 micro grams of K2.

The K2 should really help take your Cal away from arteries and get it together with Vit D3, fully assimilated.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you eat a lot of dairy then you might not need a calcium supplement.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
bobrobert said:
Sometimes not digested in certain conditions so no amount of dairy will resolve it. Sorry.

Nickglanf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tin fish pilchards are good source of calcium & protein also full of soft bones. I eat one tin a day. Pilchards in tomatoe sauce is a favourite of mine , cheap has well around 40p a tin.

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Personally, I did something similar. I went vegan and it changed my entire sleeping pattern. I would put it down to the nutrition you are getting from the vegetables rather than the pills you take.
Being Vegan gave me more energy, better sleeping.

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Herbivores don't eat dairy but they are big and strong - elephants, cows, etc.
It is a myth you need Calcium from dairy - Vegetables have all you need. Also there is a difference between the two because of the animal fats involved which spike blood sugars. Short video