1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Need some encouragement

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by Lucie75, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Lucie75

Lucie75 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I feel a bit 'uuugggghhhh'. I'm on a fasting day today (not fasting as such but restricted to 500 cals). Haven't had anything yet today except for tea and coffee and my stomach is verbally telling me off. It's a good job I have no meetings this morning or everyone would have to listen to it! I don't normally find fasting days very difficult, after all, it's only for the day but all I can think about at the moment is FOOD!!! I'm trying to think of the benefits, but it's not cutting it today. :arghh:

2. izzzi

izzzi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

hi Lucie75,
    Sounds as if your stomach has more brains than you, so take heed. give her a little something to keep her happy.
    :):):)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Indiana91

Indiana91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Are you on the 5-2 diet?

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Sounds like torture to me. It's much kinder to spread your calories out evenly over the week.

5. m1dpq

m1dpq Type 2 · Active Member

Can i ask why you are fasting?

6. Lucie75

Yes Indiana, I've been doing 5:2 for a couple of months but have found it really hard this week, mainly because I'm out of routine what with kids being of school etc. Seems to be working well though. My bs levels have been good, I feel much better and don't really feel like I'm constantly watching what I eat. Family and friends have also started to notice that I'm losing weight so a little bit of restriction is definitely working for me. Have just had blood taken for an upcoming hospital appointment so I'll be interested to see what effect it has had on my cholesterol. I'm past the worst part of my day now and after today I don't have another fasting day until Monday!! :D

• Like Like x 2
  7. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Rather you than me Lucie :)

8. Lucie75

Each to their own Noblehead. It isn't for everyone and I didn't think I'd be able to do it (there are some days where I still don't!). I was the sort of person who thought about food constantly and often ate out of habit rather than hunger. This has really worked for me (at least for now) because it has taught me to think about food differently and I have learnt what it feels like to be hungry. I didn't think this would happen (in fact I thought I'd over-consume on non-fast days), but even on days where I can eat mostly what I want I find I skip meals because I'm not hungry. I'm really surprised.

9. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

As good a reason as any Lucie, if something works it works and it certainly has helped in your case :)

10. Indiana91

My mom and dad do this, their days are Mondays and Thursdays.
    I tried to do it a few times and failed!

Well done on sticking to it :)

Indiana x

11. Lucie75

I have to stick to the same days each week just to 'make' me do it. Mine are Mondays and Wednesdays...

12. Indiana91

That's what they do too, I become a demon when I'm hungry haha it's not fair on everyone else!

Indiana x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook