Need some words of advice and some motivation

Elc1112

Hi all,

I've been diabetic (type 1) for over 20 years now. I try an eat low carb wherever I can as I put weight on very easily ad my insulin requirements go up.

I suffered from eating disorder when I was younger and my diabetes control really suffered as a result. I'm still very careful about what i eat but inreally struggle o did that happy medium - whenever I want or need to lose weight I find it far too easy to slip back into bad habits. I had a major op last week and am unable to exercise for at least 6 weeks as a result. I can feel the pounds piling on.

I want to do this healthily, and am determined not to take things to far again.

Sorry for the rambling post. Having one of those days!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi Emma

No personal experience of this but didn't want your post to slip through the net.

The main thing I would guess is that you are aware of the risks to your health by slipping back into old habits-is there anyone you could talk to about this, maybe a helpline or your GP?

You sound like you are ready to tackle this head on and you can be sure that we will offer you support here if you are feeling stressed..we are all entitled to have "off days"!!

Is there maybe any exercise that you can do at all or has the op affected everything? Don't get too down hearted, I'm sure it will be ok. :)

Elc1112

Thanks ladybird,

I'm just having a bit of a bad week. I can't exercise at all - I can walk very slowly but that's it. Think the lack of exercise is really getting to me; I normally go to the gym 5-6 times a week.

My GP and diabetes team have been pretty useless about all of this to be honest. Ice got a good group of friends around me though who will give me a good slap if I go too far.

Thanks again for your reply - I appreciate it :)

Em

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I had major surgery about 10 years and was told I couldn't go in the gym for at least 6 weeks. So I walked, just round the house at first and then a little way down the street and a bit further every day. I found that really helped and I was able to stand up a bit straighter each day as well, even with stitches from hip to hip.

WhitbyJet

Emma - so good to hear that you have some good friends around, at times like these we need them more than ever. I have had an operation a month ago so I have a fair idea of how you must be feeling, although my op was not a major one, or at least I dont consider it to be major.

First of all be good to yourself and give yourself a chance to heal, so eat good healthy, fresh food. and if you must exercise start off by doing something very gentle.
I dont know where you have been cut, but if you find walking comfortable then its a good start, just dont overdo it, it takes a while to really get over the anaesthetic, even if we dont feel sleepy any more, it can take a few weeks to really get rid of the last traces of anaesthetic from our bodies.

So please take it easy, you still can be active by doing gentle exercises.
I hope you are recovering well, big hug for you x

Elc1112

Thanks all :)

I'm able to walk a little further each day and am definitely getting there. I know it will be a long time before I'm back to my usual fitness regime, but I need to give myself the time I need to heal. All be worth it in the end :)

Thanks again!