Need to do LCHF without losing weight, but how? Help please.

diabolic sister

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I have followed the stupid Eat Well plate and attended the Xpert classes and now since wangling strips on prescription I reckon I need to go for the Low Carbs high Fat approach as I cant get BG down below average 10. However, I dont want to get any thinner (honestly never thought I would ever say that!) On metformin since diagnosis March 2013 and lost over 2 stone rapidly. I dont see how I can gain weight or at least not lose anymore on LCHF. Also cholesterol raised, GP wants me on statins, tried Simvastatin twice and given up through lack of sleep. Now have Atorvastatin which I am sacred to start as I have read it actually causes diabetes!
Any opinions eagerly awaited.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you need your daily total calories, healthy fats and coconut/olive oils replaces the lost calories from the reduced carbs

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As long as you aren't starving yourself, weight loss shouldn't be an issue. I've been eating LCHF for 2 years now and maintaining the same weight. I actually wish I could lose a few more kilos, but my body likes the weight it is now.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I have the opposite problem, I still have lots of weight to lose. The one thing I have to be most careful with is cream, I always measure it so that I don't consume too many calories. So if I were you I would start there and have as much cream as you like with any berries. Next for me are nuts and cheese which I also have to weigh, so snacking on these might help too.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
My understanding is that on LCHF your body plateaus out when it's reached the right weight. However, up the dairy and have more cheese and nuts as snacks.

diabolic sister

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
OK thanks for the replies. It worries me a bit about eating all that fat due to the cholesterol thing and there is heart disease in my family, mainly the men, dying early with heart attacks. But I will give it a go. Cheers all x

C

catherinecherub

OK thanks for the replies. It worries me a bit about eating all that fat due to the cholesterol thing and there is heart disease in my family, mainly the men, dying early with heart attacks. But I will give it a go. Cheers all x
Hi,

If you are worried about your family history then I would ask your Doctor to perform a test to see if your cholesterol is high because of genetics.

Familial hypercholesterolaemia.

http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-matters...2/medical/familial-hypercholesterolaemia.aspx

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabolic - I didn't go the whole hog with the HF aspect, nor was I brutal in the LC aspect. I cut out the big ticket carbs; bread, potato, pasta and of course sugar, and also stopped all "low-fat" products, reverting to traditional mayo, yoghurt and so on, so that naturally notched the fat up a bit. I tried to consciously increase the fat for about a month, but I didn't particularly enjoy it. Of course, that could have been psychosomatic after years of low fat indoctrination!

The LCHF thing is on a scale, just like any other diet, but you could try adjusting your personal carb/fat/protein dials to where it feels comfortable. If you're testing as you go, you will quickly get a feel for the efficacy of your personal approach, and modify as you go? When I had didn't want to lose any more weight, I firstly increased my protein a bit, which didn't quite achieve the objective, then added a few peanuts to the end of my lunch, which is just enough to balance the weight issue. I now weigh more often that I did in the weight loss phase, to ensure I'm neither gaining nor losing (ignoring day to day fluctuations, obviously).

Reactions: 2 people