1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Needing To Gain Weight To Fight Cancer

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by mondFi, Jul 5, 2018.

1. mondFi

mondFi Type 2 · Member

I have a friend with cancer. He is now underweight and in order to face an operation needs to put on weight.

Putting on weight with carbs will feed the cancer. If he is in ketosis then (hopefully) the cancer will not be quite so happy.

So, he doesn't need to worry about putting on fat. He isn't interested in putting on lean muscle - he's just interested in gaining enough weight so that they'll operate and then possibly having enough weight left on that he can do a keto diet with any more chemo and hopefully starve that f****** cancer.

Does anyone have any experience, suggestions or ideas for how feasible it will be to put on weight on a keto diet?

2. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ellenw

Ellenw Type 2 · Well-Known Member

More fats? Cream, butter, cheeses..That might help

• Like Like x 1
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Expert

Macadamia nuts and pork scratchings...possibly not together but then again...

• Like Like x 2
  5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

mondFi - When I needed to gain a little weight, after surgery (thankfully not for anything sinister), I upped my protein, then upped the fats too.

When I mentioned my desire to regain the weight I had lost to the ANP who was helping me manage my wound, she told me not to expect the gain to be anything like rapid, as my body already had much to cope with, and I imagine that very much applies to your friend.

The secret, as I learned, much to my frustration, is that I just had to keep at it. Eating more than we really want to, or feel we need, isn't much fun after the briefest of times.

I wish your friend well, and hope he can enjoy better health in the future.

6. Ian DP

Ian DP LADA · Well-Known Member

Bullet proof coffee. I have one every day, probably worth around half a stone. 30g coconut oil and 30g butter in a largish coffee mug, microwave to melt then blend with a simple battery operated blender then add the coffee (the nicer the coffee the better eg coffee pod or filter)

Flakes almonds with double cream. Great for breakfast.

7. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

It depends how far he wants to avoid carbs. Cheese, butter and cream do all contain some carbs

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook