Neuropathy in younger people? And some general help/exp!

TheSparkyPony

Hi there, just wondering if anyone was in the same boat as me and could offer help or advise!

Had diabetes now for ten years (18 now), and in the last year started suffering from numbness in my feet. Did tell consultant at the time but it seemed to have been ignored (something that I'm pulling up on next visit!) and now have subsequent numbness in pretty much both my feet, my right knee and now my right wrist is started tingling/going numb.
I realise that I'm quite young to be suffering such symptoms (only 18) and understand that I have contributed vastly to it, by becoming KDA and admitted to hospital when around 15 for about 4 times in one year, but wanted to find out some more info, as follows:

- What have you found to ease symptoms? I have been prescribed Amitriptyline and Gabopentin so far.
- Does any form of pressure bandage help with wrists?
- How does it affect your employment? I currently work in retail and struggle to lift boxes.
- How quickly did it progress for you?
- What areas did it affect for you?

Also, has anyone suffered from any internal neuropathy? i.e the light headedness from going rom a prone position to standing, or digestive issues?

Sorry for the essay, my drs have been next to hopeless in giving me ANY kind of info, and instead plugging me with pills! :roll:

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Err yeah that's me about 17 years ago, which was only 10 years after diagnosis and quite young to be getting any signs of complications. Not all that you've listed initially, but they have a sneaky habit of creeping up on you very slowly and gradually over time.

First to start was peripheral - tingly toes (10 years in), then eyes at around 15 years (which have since been lasered), blood pressure pills started at 20 years in, and at about the same time started getting postural hypotension (don't stand up too quick!) and beginning to lose hypo awareness. Fortunately none of this is getting any worse, I seem to have stopped the decline for the moment, just with really tight control of blood sugar and pressure. I never found the pressure bandages/stockings made that much difference, and have never needed pain relief for physical neuropathic symptoms, but there are drugs specifically licensed for this so there are options.

But also bear in mind there are people who've had MUCH worse control than me over the years who are still symptom-free, and really strict diabetics who are in a significantly worse state than me. My HbA1c results have never been over 8, so "average" control at best I guess. Then again I suppose everyone knows someone who smoked 40 a day until getting knocked over by a bus in their late eighties?! Don't blame yourself too much, but focus on what you can change now and don't worry about the things you can't.

As far as employment is concerned, I'm lucky enough to work in the IT industry where freelancing is very common. With good business contacts I can choose to work when I want, making the time as I need it to concentrate on my health. Very flexible and I know I'm lucky to be able to do this.