1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by SweetSquirrel, Mar 13, 2009.

1. SweetSquirrel

SweetSquirrel · Newbie

Hi All,

Haven't posted for a long while.

I've been type 1 for 6.5 years with good control HBa1C varying between 7 and 7.8.

I was attending chiropdy appointment late October, and I mentioned the sensations I was having in my feet to him, and he thought it was neuropathy, and told me to let my DSN/Consultant know about it the next time I was due for an appointment.

Saw my DSN yesterday and told her that I've started to have neuropathy (so I think). I noticed the symptoms in late October, burning in my big toe, vibration in my foot. Didn't think much of it at the time. She couldn't understand how I've started to get neuropathy, as I have good control and the fact that I've only been diabetic for 6.5 years. As I had mentioned to her, when I was diagnosed I used to have hypos for years (not very often), but I didn't know what they were then. I would get low sugars, say after exercising or long periods without food. My DSN said, it could be a possibility that I had type 2 for years before being diagnosed with type 1.

DSN is going to arrange an appointment for me to see the consultant within a month!, so that he can do further test to confirm neuropathy, and discuss treatment.

Has anyone else got neuropathy in early stages of being diabetic?

Another thing that my DSN though it could be is Raynauds, which is similar to neuropathy.

Anyd advice would be appreciated.

Best wishes.
    Beth.

2. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

I have heard that sue Townsend, the writer of Adrian Mole, went blind very fast after diagnosis.
    However, I don't think you would have had hypos from undiagnosed T2. It's not diabetes that causes hypos, but the treament.
    There is reactive hypoglycaemia though.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook