Neuropathy

blueflow

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had severe abdominal pains for past five months, accompanied by nausea, getting little sleep as pain and nausea keeping me awake. First Dr originally thought it was ibs, tried various meds but without success, more recently suggested it might be nerve damage resulting from my diabetes. Saw different Dr yesterday who thinks I have some symptoms of ibs but others which are not, going to refer me to hospital, probably for more invasive tests. Gave me Ranitidine just in case it's an ulcer, but I don't think so, not acid. Still have pain and nausea in mean time, using aromatherapy oils to help but not always successful. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. Diagnosed with type 2 about 15 years ago but only been on meds about five years.

HbA1c 55 mmol/mol 16 Sept 2014 due any time now for new bloods.
Glucose readings between 7 - 9 before breakfast
Metformin 2x500 mg daily
Sitagliptin 100 mg one daily
Gliclazide 80 mg one daily
Levothyroxine 100 micro gr one daily
Simvastatin 20 mg one daily

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your Dr thought it was nerve damage (gastroparesis) did they try you with any tablets such as domperidone or metoclopramide?

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have recently suffered from terrible peripheral neuropathy. Dr's were quick to prescribe Amitriptiline and the Gabapentin. I read the leaflets and thought there was no way Im taking this. I spent 2 weeks researching neuropathy and then was advised to buy the book - The Antioxidant Miracle by Lester Packer. I downloaded the kindle version to my ipad. Cost me just over £5. This was the best money I ever spent. Theres a whole section in it about diabetic neuropathy.
The next day I marched off to Holland and Barrett and bought Alpha Lipoic Acid, B12 and B Complex, Co Q10, Vitamin C, D and E, Evening Primrose and Omega 3.6.9.
I immediatedly changed my diet to low carb, high protein, high fat. Keeping my blood sugar below 7.7 at ALL times.
Within 4 days my neuropathy has gone.
Its down to the Alpha Lipoic Acid, B12 and Omega fats and diet.
Dont waste your time with the NHS on this one. Read the book and drop your blood sugar. Spiking above 7.7 post prandial is lethal and causes this damage.
You seem to have a good HBA1C but reseach is showing that its not about having a good HBA1C. Its about not spiking over 7.7 post prandial. The only way this is possible is by low carb, high protein and high fat.

I hope this helps you and if you do decide to give this a go, please do let me know how you get on.

I have a sister who has worse neuropathy after 35 years of being diabetic. She too is also finding this to be working after 1 week!

Reactions: 10 people

blueflow

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for advice, I'll certainly give it a try. I think second Dr sending me for more invasive tests is trying to rule out bowel cancer at this stage, although I've seen no blood in my stools and haven't lost weight.

C

chris lowe

I had/have similar. Mostly came on at night, shivering, stomach pain then both end in bathroom. Once I'd been sick I felt fine. Went to doc several times but attitude was mostly that he'd no idea what it could be. Eventually sent me for ultrasound and found I had gallstones, lots. Surgeon did tell me it may not sort out problem but after18 months I've recently had 2 "turns" so just keeping watch. Hope you can get it sorted, nothing worse than feeling continually nauseous

blueflow

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been for ultrasound which was clear, saw different Dr who is referring me to hospital. Not really looking forward to it as promise of invasive tests, but hopefully it will get to root of problem. Gps don't seem to know what it is. Using aromatherapy but not always successful.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have recently suffered from terrible peripheral neuropathy. Dr's were quick to prescribe Amitriptiline and the Gabapentin. I read the leaflets and thought there was no way Im taking this. I spent 2 weeks researching neuropathy and then was advised to buy the book - The Antioxidant Miracle by Lester Packer. I downloaded the kindle version to my ipad. Cost me just over £5. This was the best money I ever spent. Theres a whole section in it about diabetic neuropathy.
The next day I marched off to Holland and Barrett and bought Alpha Lipoic Acid, B12 and B Complex, Co Q10, Vitamin C, D and E, Evening Primrose and Omega 3.6.9.
I immediatedly changed my diet to low carb, high protein, high fat. Keeping my blood sugar below 7.7 at ALL times.
Within 4 days my neuropathy has gone.
Its down to the Alpha Lipoic Acid, B12 and Omega fats and diet.
Dont waste your time with the NHS on this one. Read the book and drop your blood sugar. Spiking above 7.7 post prandial is lethal and causes this damage.
You seem to have a good HBA1C but reseach is showing that its not about having a good HBA1C. Its about not spiking over 7.7 post prandial. The only way this is possible is by low carb, high protein and high fat.

I hope this helps you and if you do decide to give this a go, please do let me know how you get on.

I have a sister who has worse neuropathy after 35 years of being diabetic. She too is also finding this to be working after 1 week!

@Omnipod hi! what was the recommended dose for alpha lipoic? And also for the other supplements? I also have neuropathy on and off. Thank you in advance!

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
100mg Alpha Lipoic twice per day
Then Vit B12 100mg 2/3 per day
Co Enzyme Q10 100mg twice per day
Vitamins D,E C
Omega 3.6.9
Evening Primrose

Reactions: 4 people

spikyonyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupided bloody sensationalist news headlines about a cure for diabetes when they mean another possible treatment method for type 2 management.
Idiots asking if I'm watching what I eat... 'Why, no. Whatever for? I'm intentionally poisoning myself with every mouthful I consume!"
I see you'm on metaphormin, could it be an adverse reaction to that perhaps? It's not the nicest of drugs and you can build up an intolerance.
Regards, ash

pavmas

I hav dhc continuos and duluxide or something sounds similar, I have tried most but the only thing that keeps it at bay is hot water bottle, after insulin and a meal my belly goes like an ice slab and that hot water bottle is a better feeling than winning the lottery. Typing is relly bad as you fingers. Ache so much with the cold, I Don,t know how a body part can tet so cold, ive worked in snow next to the north Sea and nver been this cold, try water bottles they work for me

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Omnipod hi! what was the recommended dose for alpha lipoic? And also for the other supplements? I also have neuropathy on and off. Thank you in advance!

Hi Adelle0607
Just wondering if you started taking these vitamins and anti oxidants? If so...has this helped?

My neuropathy is much better. Sometimes if I have a high sugar, it does come on again so keeping my BG low and taking the anti oxidants works well.

Swiftkidd

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Adelle0607
Just wondering if you started taking these vitamins and anti oxidants? If so...has this helped?

My neuropathy is much better. Sometimes if I have a high sugar, it does come on again so keeping my BG low and taking the anti oxidants works well.

Hey I went to my GP with numbness, burning, and tingling in my lower right limb mostly in ankle and shin and performed physical examination with tuning folk and couldn't feel the vibrations so drew blood for general health screening which showed my folate blood test was 'slightly' low and prescribed Folic Acid 5mg tablets recommending I repeat the test for Liver Function Test which second results suggest I repeat again in 3 months.. I'm concerned I might be prediabetic as I have high sugar diet solely consisting of binge eating on comfort foods.. how much did it cost you for all your supplements and how long to take as I don't have lot of money =/