Never had a hypo...

J1998L

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The lowest I've ever been was 3.7 and I was only just starting to feel a bit shaky/hungry... What can I expect from a full on hypo with bloods around 2-3?

P.S. What is the lowest it can get to before you fall unconscious?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
3.7 is a hypo. The symptoms differs from person to person. Sometimes I feel alright when I'm 2.7 and can feel horrible hypo when 3.5. I think it depends how quickly it drops.

Reactions: 15 people

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been down to 1.4 recently and was still capable of moving around (slowly) and treating it. Definitely agree that it's how fast you drop, not how low you go that makes it feel worse.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My lowest recorded was 2.9 and I felt fine as it dropped slowly but there have been times it has only been 3.7 but I felt absolutely tragic, shaking, sweating, slurred speech all because it dropped suddenly. I find its all about listening to your body and its harder than you think to pick up the slight hints sometimes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As @ewelina quite rightly says hypo symptoms can vary from person to person with some very unusual ones thrown in, but if you have a read of the following it explains what the common symptoms are and how you should deal with one:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-a-hypo.html

I had my first hypo in hospital, it was induced as they wouldn't let me home until I'd experienced one, still remember it to this day.

Reactions: 2 people

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Prior to getting diabetes I had hypos for 10+ years weekly. The lowest I went was 1.8mmol/l, granted I felt sweaty, shakey and couldn't see very well, but I carried on working until a colleague noticed and got me a drink and biscuit.

On the other hand I have also had a hypo at 3.2mmol/l and could barely move, I was in a hotel and managed to just ring reception and got them to come and give me sugar.

Basically it's different every time, so <4mmol/l start treating it, it's not worth risking the consequences of a hypo. x

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
if my level drops below 5.0 I normally can tell as makes me feel weird

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
once when i was first diagnosed I wa sout walking my dogs it was a hot day and I was nearly home but found I had difficulty lifting my left leg up and thought what the heck is this then thought get home and test quick..... luckily was around the corner form home and sugar level was down to 2.6....never went out again with out a mars bar and some energy tabs in my pocket...very scary

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mars bars and hot weather aren't a great mix and rapidly become a horrible sticky mess, I learnt (and take too long to act). Gluco Tabs come in a resealable plastic pot and you can buy tubs of 50 to top them up with for a couple of quid each.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
yup agreed... i used to put mars bars in pockets but now put in little boxes and in to my bum bag when walking another good thing is carry jelly babies I love them always did so have to be careful there as each jelly baby I am told is a spoon full of sugar yikesss but they don't get mushy in hot weather

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
the lowest I've dropped to is 2.1 on my meter and I did feel awful. But for me I hypo anywhere below 5 really... and it is how fast I've dropped or I'm still dropping that makes it worse for me. Like i can be sitting on 7 and in half an hour be sitting on 3.5 with all the hypo symptoms. I've worked out I feel the worst when I drop about 3 mmol within half an hour.... but then depends as if I'm sitting on 5.5 and drop 1 then I feel it too. My endo told me I must stay above 5 at all times because I drop so fast once I get to 5. He said that is my 'safe' number and every diabetic should know what their safe number is. It does take time to figure that out though.

J1998L

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What might cause such a rapid drop?
the lowest I've dropped to is 2.1 on my meter and I did feel awful. But for me I hypo anywhere below 5 really... and it is how fast I've dropped or I'm still dropping that makes it worse for me. Like i can be sitting on 7 and in half an hour be sitting on 3.5 with all the hypo symptoms. I've worked out I feel the worst when I drop about 3 mmol within half an hour.... but then depends as if I'm sitting on 5.5 and drop 1 then I feel it too. My endo told me I must stay above 5 at all times because I drop so fast once I get to 5. He said that is my 'safe' number and every diabetic should know what their safe number is. It does take time to figure that out though.

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
The lowest I've ever been was 3.7 and I was only just starting to feel a bit shaky/hungry... What can I expect from a full on hypo with bloods around 2-3?

P.S. What is the lowest it can get to before you fall unconscious?
Different people notice them differently, I (thankfully) can begin to feel them before I even become low (at around 4-5).

The lowest I've ever experienced was 1.4, I was actually at school with my friend Tony, I felt very dizzy and very tired. A small bottle of coke and a couple of minutes did the trick. Not sure at what point you will fall unconscious, but hopefully you'd detect the hypo before then.

Phil-86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I generally feel like I'm heading low when I get <5.0

I hit 2.3 the other day as I was leaving the house with the dog... worst thing ever experienced. More so than being drunk I would say. I fell over myself, jumped back up, looked around for spectators and couldn't even focus on anything, so much so that I couldn't even see my car when it was only 50ft away parked up. As I went back to the house to treat it, I fell down my garden steps and ended **** over tit in my garden. My point is that was at 2.3 or so; I know other T1's that get like that at <8.0 so does differ per person quite dramatically I would say.

Needless to say I'm testing BS more than ever after having my first hypo in the 2 months I've been diagnosed. I don't intend to see that again...

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I generally feel like I'm heading low when I get <5.0

I hit 2.3 the other day as I was leaving the house with the dog... worst thing ever experienced. More so than being drunk I would say. I fell over myself, jumped back up, looked around for spectators and couldn't even focus on anything, so much so that I couldn't even see my car when it was only 50ft away parked up. As I went back to the house to treat it, I fell down my garden steps and ended **** over tit in my garden. My point is that was at 2.3 or so; I know other T1's that get like that at <8.0 so does differ per person quite dramatically I would say.

Needless to say I'm testing BS more than ever after having my first hypo in the 2 months I've been diagnosed. I don't intend to see that again...

I'm the same as you... can get hypo's <5. My lowest on my meter was 2.1 and that was a horrible hypo as had problems getting up to walk to treat it as well.

Hails333

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had a horrible experience when I picked up a UTI and my sugars crashed during the night. I was in and out of consciousness and my sugar level was 0.8. Luckily was taken to A&E and slung on a glucose drip, I came round and was fine but it was very scary. I've found my levels are affected by stress, when I can fully relax my levels drop and are hard work to get back up.

Usually I'm aware on I'm on the down route at about 5; though I was advised on the DAFNE course not to try and do anything until they drop below 4.

Keep an eye on when you hypo as it can be linked to so many things such as infection/virus, exercise, stress.

Hazel976

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My sugar has been as low as 1.7 and I have still been talking sense and not really feeling hypo. Then I am suddenly unconscious.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Different people notice them differently, I (thankfully) can begin to feel them before I even become low (at around 4-5).

The lowest I've ever experienced was 1.4, I was actually at school with my friend Tony, I felt very dizzy and very tired. A small bottle of coke and a couple of minutes did the trick. Not sure at what point you will fall unconscious, but hopefully you'd detect the hypo before then.
I've been at 0.3 lowest I've ever been having diabetes and still able to treat it.