new diagnosed, sad but thanks goodness for this place

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

Diagnosed almost 2 weeks ago. Got the usual advice from my doctor about just eating a healthy diet and 1/4 plate carbohydrates. I had already found this forum (when the surgery rang me to make an urgent appointment so I was worried as the only test was for blood sugar). I had already had an idea that the advice from the doctor wasn't correct so I felt really upset as I thought I couldn't give up carbs and my husband believed the doctor and thought I was being a tad over dramatic. I was also told that I didn't have to test but I had already decided I needed to test otherwise I had no information. Well we tried a healthy meal and my bloods went right up- that was the last so called healthy meal I have had.

I have cried and sobbed. I'm a lawyer and usually on the other side of the desk from the crying. I have stuck to the low carb high fat and my readings are in the '5's which is okay for less than 2 weeks in.

My problem is I don't like meat- I have never eaten so much meal :( . I am not a big drinker but when I do drink it is cocktails. I'm a sugar addict and really struggling. I could be happy never eating meat again. Not sure about never eating carbs again.

Anyway that's probably enough for this post. I'm sad and overwhelmed but without this forum I would be lost and things would be so much worse- thanks all for making what is (for me) a **** situation into one that I have been able to just about cope with.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Vashti and welcome!
If you haven’t come across it already, here is a link to our useful info:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Like carol I do enjoy meat but have a look here for low carb veggie ideas:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/
One recipe I particularly like which is veggie is here:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-cauliflower-cheese
Some ideas which are less harmful than full sugar stuff, how about sugar free jelly with strawberries and double cream. Full fat Greek yoghurt and raspberries. Dark chocolate, the higher percentage the better, I worked my way up to 100%!

Reactions: Prem51

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks!- more light at the end of the tunnel- That link for the cocktails sounds awesome. Like I said don't drink much but just the thought I can have some makes the day brighter! thanks!!!

Reactions: Prem51 and jjraak

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have cried and sobbed. I'm a lawyer and usually on the other side of the desk from the crying. I have stuck to the low carb high fat and my readings are in the '5's which is okay for less than 2 weeks in.
Couple of things: That's not "okay" for two weeks in, that is EXCELLENT! So there's that. Secondly, I have had a LOT of rather life altering diagnoses over the years. And rather than just another box to tick, diabetes was different. I cried my eyes out for a long time. So whether you're professionally "tough" or are supposed to be used to "this kind of stuff", it will be a kick in the head. So your reaction is a normal, healthy one. It's grief you're experiencing, and that does get better with time, especially as you get a grip on T2 and the implications. Thing is, you know what's up now and you can do something about it. Odds are you'll feel better than you have in years as time wears on. For me, the diagnosis meant I finally found out why I was in such a horrid state, and I got my life back. Cutting the carbs is a good move, and while meat is a perfect low carb food, there *are* low carb options that don't include it. There's a whole section here on vegetarians who low carb, so... Maybe have a look there? https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/ May give you a little bit of a meat-break. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/vegetarian might help too. So you don't have to absolutely eat meat to do this. You're in this for the long haul, so you need a diet that doesn't just fit your medical needs, but also your mental/emotional needs. What fits your life best? Go with that. If what you're eating is making you miserable, that's no good, as you won't be able to keep it up. And as for that sweet tooth, I used to put 5 spoons of sugar into my espresso. It was liquid candy, really. So i know about a sweet tooth... Thing is, if you cut the sugars for a couple of weeks, your palette changes... You won't miss it anywhere near as much, and if you ever should cave, -we all fall off the wagon sometime or other- it'll probably be sickeningly sweet to you. I know it is to me.

You'll be okay. And you made the right call with the meter and the carb cutting. Now it's just a matter of figuring out how to make you happy about what's on your plate. You don't have to get everything absolutely right in a day. Take your time, use your meter, and read half the internet.
Hugs,
Jo

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google keto fat bombs to satisfy those sweet cravings.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I said this forum is amazing- have been reading it almost non-stop for the last two weeks I have been amazed by the support that is offered. People are very generous with their time, knowledge and empathy. Next time I see the doctor I will be telling her about this site- I feel so sad for those that haven't found it- I would be in a far far worse place if I didn't have it. I'm sure my husband is also very grateful for it too.

Thank you all- I hope that in time I can return the favour but I think I have a long way to go. Thanks for all your wisdom.

Reactions: Prem51

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There definitely is light at the end of the tunnel. I assume your type 2, although I'm type 1, and I would get rid of diabetes the first chance I got. I wouldn't go back on how much it has changed me as a person, I am the fittest, healthiest and mentally sound I have ever been. Would I have been so serious on this path without diabetes? probably not. I've learned so much about making myself healthier and living a fruitful life as best I can, diabetes is a hurdle but nothing that has prevented me from doing what I want.

Also my 'healthier' lifestyle has brushed off on family, making them much better all round (although they are not diabetic). As much as I've got to be down about, I've got even more to be happy about.

Maybe substitute sugar for sweetners and erythritol etc? Keeps that sweet tooth calm whilst you transition through your diet.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @VashtiB It is a huge shock when you get told you are diabetic and it does take a bit of time to get your head around it all, but you have got to grips with it quite quickly.
You don't have to eat meat, you only need to substitute another energy source for the starchy carbs you previously got energy from. Fish, especially oily fish, is great. Eggs, nuts, avocados, olive oil and high fat dairy products are all good.
Dark chocolate with a high cocoa content (over 80% preferably) helps with the sweet tooth.
Ask any questions you want, the people on here are friendly and you will get a lot of good advice.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In this hot weather I have been eating salads, with fish, or seafood or eggs and cheese - and drinking my coffee with cream cold from the fridge.
I have found some low carb bread - 4 gm per slice, so I can have a sandwich - with an inch of filling - salad with prawns.
Some find eating low carb is an effort but I can think of worse ways to eat...