New eu rules for Diabetics

kennethi

Million drivers face losing licence under EU diabetes.Up to one million people with diabetes could lose their driving licences because of harsh new European rules classifying them as unfit to drive.
Experts claim the ‘unnecessarily strict’ changes will affect hundreds of thousands who have been driving for decades without problems.
They say the rules amount to a blanket ban on diabetics taking insulin who occasionally have ‘hypos’ – episodes of hypoglycaemia, or low blood sugar, which may cause blackouts if not countered with a sugary snack.
Victim of Brussels: There are fears that diabetics will be unfairly penalised by the new legislation
Under a new definition of the rules to meet an EU directive, a diabetic who has two hypos in a year – even while in bed – will end up banned from driving.
The charity Diabetes UK has protested to the Department for Transport about the changes, due to take effect in October.

More...Pregnant women hit by return of rickets because they're not getting enough sun

It has told officials that up to a million people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes who use insulin could be ‘negatively affected’ by the changes, but says there is no evidence that drivers with diabetes pose a greater risk than others.
The charity fears the Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is applying the EU directive far more strictly than other countries.
In fact some diabetics have found the DVLA is already using the new interpretation to ban them from the roads. Simon O’Neill, of Diabetes UK, said the new DVLA definitions of ‘severe’ and ‘recurrent’ hypoglycaemia threatened a blanket ban for many.
Up until now, severe hypos were defined as episodes where another person was needed to administer carbohydrate or take other actions during waking hours to assist the diabetic.
The new definition used by the DVLA also includes hypoglycaemia when the individual is asleep.
Mr O’Neill said the EC Directive itself does not specify nocturnal hypoglycaemia, yet the DVLA has chosen to include it in assessing fitness to drive.
He added: ‘We believe nocturnal hypoglycaemia has no medical basis of relevance to driving.’
Professor Geoff Gill, professor of diabetes at Aintree University Hospital, Liverpool, said a tighter definition of hypoglycaemia was unnecessary as the current system required drivers to report when they had an episode they could not manage alone.
He said: ‘We’re not looking for a softer option, we don’t want people driving who are a danger. This is about an interpretation of the rules that will unfairly impact on the lives of many diabetics.
‘It could mean that people with diabetes who have been driving safely for years will lose the right to drive under these changes.
‘They won’t only be people who use the car to drive to the shops or a football match, but those who depend on driving for their livelihoods.’
A DVLA spokesman said: ‘We aim to strike the right balance – making sure that only those who are safe to drive are allowed on our roads, while at the same time avoiding placing unnecessary restrictions on people’s independence.
‘We must apply European medical standards but we consider every case individually and refuse licences only where absolutely necessary.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2028152/Million-drivers-face-losing-licence-EU-diabetes-diktat.html#ixzz1VYCvBx7i

The above as in todays Daily Mail. Posted by Ken

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Only Up side you can apply for a free bus pass if your driving license is removed on medical grounds

I did :?

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good to know about the bus pass!!! Wow can they actually do this??? I personally dont drive (have my license just dont like it) however due to change in circumstances with jobs and childcare it may be necessary for me to start driving in the next month or so but based on the rules i WILL loose my license!! The last hypo I had during the day which required assistance was when i was pregnant with my son, more than a year ago however i DO have hypo's when I'm asleep which require assistance from my hubby :( what do they think we are going to do? purposely fall asleep in our cars and somehow we will start driving and somehow miraculously not cause an incident and THEN have a hypo which requires assistance which ultimately results in us not being safe on the roads??

Sussex Ted

For me this will be catastrophic! A bus pass will not help as we have no bus routes near by. I live in a rural situation, totally reliant on my car. Luckily, I cannot remember the last time I had a hypo but I am sure given a year or two, DVLA will blanket ban everyone on insulin regardless of hypos or not! If I lose my licence I will have to sell my home that I love and move to a town, which I will loathe. if people with severe disabilities with their 'human rights' can drive! Then diabetes should not even be in question! The effect on my life will be an horrendous upheaval. What can we do collectively to stop this happening? Write to our mp? We must object to this and get the medical world behind us. If we just lie down and let this happen, it will be horrendous for sufferers. Strangely enough, I never think of being a 'sufferer' but with this looming over me, I now feel victimised and I am sure I will not be the only one! LET'S ACT NOW

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
if people with severe disabilities with their 'human rights' can drive!

Not always the case
My driving license been removed because of My severe disability and the effect pain drugs

Like me you may have to move closer to a bus route
Unlike you I also had to find a bus route with buses fitted with ramps

Bob

Louwalker71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Madness ...... It will also encourage diabetics to;

1. Run higher sugar levels putting their long term possibilities for complications higher and therefore higher costs for the NHS. If you have tight control mild hypos are normally common.

2. To lie on the DVLA form - if your husband gives you some glucogel or similar during a nighttime hypo and you recover quickly without any further intervention why would you mention it!

I am fortunate that to date (diabetic for 15 years) I have never had any hypo where I have needed anyone to help me but this us still very worrying.

kennethi

Quite supprised Diabetic.co.uk, not come on here to respond to peoples queries on this subject.
Proberbley the most serious issue to come out for diabetcics for some years.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think that you are under the impression that this forum is part of DUK the charity, it isn't so it's unlikely they will reply on here.
This is what DUK say about the proposed changes
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/New ... -diabetes/

Actually they've known about them for a while since there was a public consultation about them that finished in April this year.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/consultation ... tions.aspx
The proposals from the consultation document are those I posted on this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=23508
The regulations to be proposed in Oct may have been amended as a result of the consultation, we won't know until they are actually published.

chocoholic

I have written to my local M.P. about this. I do have hypos but always monitor my levels closely and have never been hospitalized through a hypo or fallen unconscious. I would never risk hurting myself or others on the road and with an elderly mother who lives in a village with no public transport between mine and hers AND a severely disabled brother who often has us joining him on a blue lights run to hospital,in the middle of the night, I so need to hang on to my licence.
Surely idiots on their mobile phones or those tanked up with drink are more of a danger behind the wheel of a car than a well-controlled,closely monitored diabetic.
I will not give up my licence without a fight.

SarahW

Is this rule for 2 hypos or 2 hypos which need assistance?? I am a dafne trained diabetic and am more than aware if my sugars are going low. We are taught to test before we drive. We are probably more aware of our medical state than anyone else!!!!!!!!! This rule is ridiculous, what about drunks, drug addicts, people with no liciences in the first place. This opens up a huge can of worms........what if you ever had a stroke, what if you ever fainted. Im all for keeping unsafe drivers off the roads but this is discrimination at its very best.......we need to fight all the way. This will ruin my life and I am sure alot of other peoples lives. They will say we cant be parents next

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
SarahW said:
Is this rule for 2 hypos or 2 hypos which need assistance?? I am a dafne trained diabetic and am more than aware if my sugars are going low. We are taught to test before we drive. We are probably more aware of our medical state than anyone else!!!!!!!!! This rule is ridiculous, what about drunks, drug addicts, people with no liciences in the first place. This opens up a huge can of worms........what if you ever had a stroke, what if you ever fainted. Im all for keeping unsafe drivers off the roads but this is discrimination at its very best.......we need to fight all the way. This will ruin my life and I am sure alot of other peoples lives. They will say we cant be parents next

I believe it's assisted hypo's but it all seems so unclear. Everyone, Dafne trained or not who use insulin should test their bg before and during driving, I've never had a hypo behind the wheel nor have I ever needed assistance with a hypo so will wait and see how this effect my ability to drive.

Nigel

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This misreporting of the Daily Mail has got everyone worked up.
. The requirement to report one episode of severe hypo applies to group 2 drivers.. those who at present in the UK can't have a licence at all
Group 2
"The Directive requires that a severe hypoglycaemic event during waking hours, even unrelated to driving, should be reported and should give rise to a reassessment of the licensing status."
(notice the word waking hours in this statement)
For group 1 drivers the EU directive
" requires drivers or applicants experiencing recurrent severe hypoglycaemia shall not be issued with nor have their licence renewed."
(my quoted source was the parliamentary briefing paper, I've closed it so can't link)
severe hypos are defined as those needing assistance from a third party
recurrent means more than once in a 12 month period

It is not just 2 hypos unless the UK changes things to be far stricter than the EU directive.

The working group that recommended the regulations to the EU in the first place were perfectly aware that many people have 2 hypos or more a week.
Hypoglycaemia is the most common side effect of insulin treatment. Asymptomatic plasma glucoses lower than 60mg/dl are frequent: as many of 10% of the BG readings of a patients attempting to obtain good glycaemic control will fall in this range. Mild symptomatic hypoglycaemia will happen on an average of 2 times a week, and will often be corrected by the patients themselves.
More problematic are the severe hypoglycaemia’s, where often somebody else (family, colleague at work, nurse or physician) have to intervene with treatment. This happens approximately to at least one third of patients one or more times a year. The risk of severe hypoglycaemia is skewed and a subgroup of patients experience most of the severe hypoglycaemic episodes per year

So they weren't considering mild hypos. Notice the mention of sub 60mg/dl (3.3mmol) not 72mg/dl (4mmol)
when they mention unawareness they say:
The early warning symptoms such as anxiety, palpitations, hunger, sweating or tremor normally occur when the blood glucose is about 55-60mg (3.0mmol/l). The patients with unawareness do not realise that the plasma blood glucose level is decreasing below the threshold for neuroglucopenia (about 2.5mmol/l) and do not correct the blood glucose by food intake. This is called hypoglycaemia unawareness.By this, such patients have a 10 times higher frequency of severe hypoglycaemia.
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safe ... l_1_en.pdf
I won't quote but if you look at page 33 onwards you will see their recommendations (which seem to have been accepted by the EU in full) and the rationale behind each of them.

littlemolly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please will everyone sign the e-petition! At the moment only 600 people have signed and we will need 100,000 to get it discussed in parliament!!! If you go on to the e-petition site and search for "eu directive to ban diabetics driving" it should come up. It was started on 21st July 2011. Send it to everyone you know!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If only the petition had confined itself to the matter of nightime hypos and clarity over the self reporting system and not included the untrue statement 'the EU directive which leads to drivers with diabetes being stripped of their licences if they suffer two hypos in a year'
(no mention of severe, needing assistance)

People may be interested in this detailed email response to a query from Diabetes UK:
http://canidoit.org/diabetes-uk-reassur ... egulations

chocoholic

Thanks for that link, Phoenix. Perhaps things are not as bad as portrayed by the Mail then. Fingers crossed for all us sensible diabetic drivers.

I AM APPAULED BY THIS LATEST NEWS FROM THE DVLA! I HAVE BEEN A TYPE 1 DIABETIC FOR THE PAST 24 YEARS AND I HAVE BEEN DRIVING SAFELY WITH A CLEAN LICENSE FOR THE PAST 15 YEARS. EVERY 3 YEARS WE ARE RIGEROUSLY QUESTIONED AND ASSESED BY THE DVLA TO ENSURE THAT WE ARE FIT TO DRIVE. IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT I AM ABLE TO DRIVE BY TESTING MY GLUCOSE LEVELS EVERY TIME BEFORE I GET INTO THE CAR AND ACT ON THOSE RESULTS ACCORDINGLY. JUST THE SAME AS AVERYONE ELSE WHO SHOULD ENSURE THEY ARE SOBER AND NOT TOO TIRED TO DRIVE.I WOULD EXPECT TO BE PENOLISED ACCORDINGLY IF I SHOULD DELIBERATLY DRIVE WHILST UNFIT.
WHAT ABOUT PATIENTS WITH A HISTORY OF HEART DISEASE, EPILEPSY OR ANAPHALAXIS WHO ARE ALSO AT RISK OF PASSING OUT AND EVEN DYING WITH LESS WARNING SIGNS THAN THE AVERAGE DIABETIC HYPO? DOES THIS MEAN PEOPLE WITH BEE STING ALLERGIES WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO DRIVE CARS WITH THE WINDOWS SHUT AND LOCKED :? LETS HOPE THAT THE POLITICIANS DON'T DEVELOP SUCH CONDITIONS, THEN AGAIN THEY HAVE CHOFFEURS TO GET THEM FROM A TO B.
I AM ALSO A PRACTICE NURSE AND ENCOURAGE ALL MY DIABETIC PATIENTS TO OPENLY DISCUSS ANY HYPOS. I FEEL THESE NEW GUIDELINES WILL DETER PATIENTS FROM ADMITTING ANY SITUATIONS WHICH THEY MAY HAVE, WHICH MAY POTENTIALLY NOT BRING ISSUES TO LIGHT FOR DIABETICS WHO ARE NOT FIT TO DRIVE AND WILL THERFORE BE ISSUED WITH ANOTHER 3 YEALRY LICENCE AS THEIR GP WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SUBMIT ACCURATE INFORMATION.