1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New Flash Glucose Monitoring from Abbott - Bloodless Testing

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Omnipod, Sep 2, 2014.

1. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Pretty much yes. They said animas had been given in special cases where the user did a lot of swimming. I do know someone who has one but only because her dad is a lawyer and understandably kicked up a massive stink.

I don't agree with it, but I was so borderline for being "allowed" a pump that I kept my mouth shut and took what was offered. It works fine and, aside from wanting the dexcom CGM in the future, it is perfect. I could of course use the enlite seabird by Medtronic but they're more expensive

• Like Like x 2
  2. hale710

Not true. I know a few people who start their trial on the 13th. The "see if it will work" trials are over. The "normal user" trials are starting now.

3. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Omnipod is a special case because it costs more but all the other pumps cost [the same] so there should be free patient choice.

#63 Spiker, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  4. Spiker

And DD how would you feel if the only pump available to you was one you hated instead of the one you love?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Spiker

Totally understandable.

If anyone needs to fight for a pump or a type of pump, go to INPUT. Lesley will fight your corner hard.

• Like Like x 2
  6. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

To be honest I think I would have liked any pump. I don't think I would have been so keen as this one that I wear on my arm, but, I would have got used to it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CambridgeLass

CambridgeLass · Well-Known Member

Hi. I’ve heard on forums the Freestyle Libre will cost around £150 pounds with sensors lasting a reported 14 days costing £50 each. Exciting tech!! ElyDave, we are in the peads section of Addenbrooke’s and have been using the cellnovo since April. Love it! Very innovative. My 8 year old manages it all on her own at school etc. It’s our first pump so no experience of any others, but ever SO happy with it.

8. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

question @Omnipod @Spiker and @hale710 will I be able to use the libre to cal my dex? ie eliminating finger bg for days at a time?!

If so sign me the f**k up!!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. hale710

Same. I definitely didn't WANT omipod, but if say that had been the choice or nothing id have gladly taken it. Medtronic was close enough to animas for me :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. PaulinaB

PaulinaB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Calibrating one interstitial fluid meter with another?...

• Like Like x 4
  11. hale710

I don't believe so no. The libre still recommends "regular" finger prick tests. So for me that would be driving and pre meal probably. Average 8-10 a day right now so that would be a significant cut

12. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

Its not really going to be 'the end to finger pricking' then. There's a bit of misleading going on .....naughty Abbott...

• Like Like x 6
  13. hale710

No, I was never under the impression it was.

"A finger pricker test using a blood glucose meter is required during times of rapidly changing glucose levels when interstitial fluid glucose levels may not accurately reflect blood glucose levels"

14. Engineer88

Yeah I thought that would be too much to ask for. I also think its misleading to advertise it as CGM which I have seen. Although it may have been the media being misleading.

• Like Like x 4
  15. hale710

I think that's the media. I've only read stuff from Abott themselves and they've not referred to it as CGM, because it's not lol but it's a decent middle ground

• Like Like x 5
  16. Spiker

Genuine LOL, Eng.
    Sadly I fear not.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Engineer88

http://vimeo.com/m/105752713

Ahh **** it - looks like a fun toy and with it being NFC and iPhone 6 having the right gear (and watch!) I might get one just so I'll be set when 'that' app comes along :p

• Like Like x 6
  18. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

that's twice you 've *****'d - you'll be in trouble ;)

I'm with you though. this still looks like th ebest thing to hit the diabetes market for quite some time.

• Like Like x 4
  19. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Glad you're getting on with it. It seems the CellNovo is very popular in Cambs as the DSNs were a bit unsure whether they were going to get enough supplied in time for the group I'm starting with in October.

20. Jaz253

Jaz253 Type 1 · Active Member

OMG this is what I've been expecting to happen since was 7 ys. old! But to my humble opinion, the price will be a little of an issue if is similar to a CGM (and I cant consider getting a pump). Ple@se (to the manufacturers) have in mind a few months after the release, making a version affordable for those on a low income (which I presume is a huge majority in diabetes population). I have relatives in Spain so could get one, but as the senior members have mentioned, it will be wise to see how it actually works.
    I'm just praying that it doesn't end up being an Exubera or afrezza insulin like-thing ;)

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook