New Forum member, type 2..with insulin

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just joined the Forum, and having a bit of a job finding my way around. I have had diabetes for many years and am taking Glucophage and insulin I take 33 units before breakfast and 43 units before evening meal. I am on five mini meals a day as recommended by my doctor to try to lower my glycaemia number therefore I am desperately trying to eat low GI foods. Also I have cut down on carbs, which is a little bit of a problem if I'm not careful. I think I must have lost a little weight which must be a good thing. Going back to the doctor next week to see if I can get some good results after dealing with this mini meal regime for the last five or six weeks.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your insulin units seem quite high which implies you may be overweight and need to keep the carbs down. Whilst the GI value is best kept low it is the overall amount of carbs that affects blood sugar. Low-GI carbs whilst good just smooth absorption. A large number of small meals will certainly help smooth carbs during the day and minimise sugar spikes but it will not help overall carb intake so do give priority to keeping the total daily carbs down

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I would do in your position... and the following is just my opinion
eat 3 meals, I think having glucose always in your blood will only increase insulin resistance
Get the BG down by eating less carbs, some people have less than 30g a day, some have 200g. Initially I would be very low till your BG was in normal levels, you will need to reduce your insulin too.
read and watch video
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
atkins induction diet is also LC and there is an easy to follow plan free on the net, you can also download book for free [ask if you have any problems finding it]

now carbs don't give up without a fight for a week
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

there is no such thing as testing too often when you are trying to get your BG down
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

In a nut shell what I did was cut all grain, grain product, potato and sugary stuff, I ate everything else

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just joined the Forum, and having a bit of a job finding my way around. I have had diabetes for many years and am taking Glucophage and insulin I take 33 units before breakfast and 43 units before evening meal. I am on five mini meals a day as recommended by my doctor to try to lower my glycaemia number therefore I am desperately trying to eat low GI foods. Also I have cut down on carbs, which is a little bit of a problem if I'm not careful. I think I must have lost a little weight which must be a good thing. Going back to the doctor next week to see if I can get some good results after dealing with this mini meal regime for the last five or six weeks.

Margar, I'm on 23u long acting at night, and take insulin short acting after 3 main meals. I seem to have kept under 100g carbs a day, with 1 or 2 units in morning, 2 or 3 at lunch, then between 4 to 6 units sometimes less at night, that includes a bit of 85% dark chocolate as a treat. It does mean injecting 4 times a day I've got used to it, been on insulin 7 weeks or so now. It might be worth seeing if u can try that.

My sugars were sky high ,28 finger prick and now averaging between 6-8 on finger prick test.

I might have to change the insulin as it really does take 4 hours to work on me especially night time, eg I eat around 6pm but go bed about 9.

Might be worth a try. I've been type 2 for 10 years btw.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Margar, I'm on 23u long acting at night, and take insulin short acting after 3 main meals. I seem to have kept under 100g carbs a day, with 1 or 2 units in morning, 2 or 3 at lunch, then between 4 to 6 units sometimes less at night, that includes a bit of 85% dark chocolate as a treat. It does mean injecting 4 times a day I've got used to it, been on insulin 7 weeks or so now. It might be worth seeing if u can try that.

My sugars were sky high ,28 finger prick and now averaging between 6-8 on finger prick test.

I might have to change the insulin as it really does take 4 hours to work on me especially night time, eg I eat around 6pm but go bed about 9.

Might be worth a try. I've been type 2 for 10 years btw.

Very interesting.....I don't know how to count carbs! I wonder if I am having too much. 1st meal...Porridge (1/3rd cup dry oats) sweetener, plain yoghurt. 2nd meal...small slice bread, marmite. 3rd meal..4 to 5oz. Meat, 1 tablespoon mash pots., carrots, onions,garlic, tomatoes butter beans and green beans. 4th meal....strawberries and yogurt, 1small slice bread. 5th meal...this is where I am getting problems, sometimes hypos...so maybe I'll just eat what I can (after Dextrose).

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Margar, I'm still learning and struggling, bu t for breakfast you can have literally a proper English breakfast so wouldn't need the porridge. I make my own soup to take to work and don't have any potatoes, pasta rice and only have a slice of Bergen bread every other day. I live on cauliflower. As some veg have carbs in them eg carrots, potato , and other starchy underground veg. To count carbs look at the back of the food packets and that tells you the total carb value. And there are carbs and cals books or apps to download or www..myfitnesspal.co.uk has a section telling food carb values thAt might help.

I suppose it depends what the priority is, blood sugars down first, then look at diet or both together. Mine was get sugars down because I need an operation, whilst having a go at not putting weight on due to the insulin.

I'm seeing my nurse on Monday to have a catch up and discuss changing insulin.

Hope your doctor helps you a bit more.
Bev

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Margar, I'm still learning and struggling, bu t for breakfast you can have literally a proper English breakfast so wouldn't need the porridge. I make my own soup to take to work and don't have any potatoes, pasta rice and only have a slice of Bergen bread every other day. I live on cauliflower. As some veg have carbs in them eg carrots, potato , and other starchy underground veg. To count carbs look at the back of the food packets and that tells you the total carb value. And there are carbs and cals books or apps to download or www..myfitnesspal.co.uk has a section telling food carb values thAt might help.

I suppose it depends what the priority is, blood sugars down first, then look at diet or both together. Mine was get sugars down because I need an operation, whilst having a go at not putting weight on due to the insulin.

I'm seeing my nurse on Monday to have a catch up and discuss changing insulin.

Hope your doctor helps you a bit more.
Bev
Thank you for taking the trouble to write an answer to my query. I really would like to have the full English breakfast but I would have to have toast with it and that's not good. I really do need carbs and that is my problem at the moment I have been cutting down on them drastically I don't know how many I should be eating but I am seeing my diabetic nurse on Monday the 7th July and hopefully I will get things sorted thank you for your help.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
15 months have gone by since my last letter, saying I couldn't eat full English breakfast without toast!! I've recently joined the Low Carb Chats and am learning a lot. I am eating stuff watching the carbs now, like the E/breakfast WITHOUT TOAST), only been doing this about a week, and can definitely see a difference in bs readings. I just thought you might be interested to know this.

Reactions: 4 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Hi. Your insulin units seem quite high which implies you may be overweight and need to keep the carbs down. Whilst the GI value is best kept low it is the overall amount of carbs that affects blood sugar. Low-GI carbs whilst good just smooth absorption. A large number of small meals will certainly help smooth carbs during the day and minimise sugar spikes but it will not help overall carb intake so do give priority to keeping the total daily carbs down
I am on 88 IU of mixed insulin and went from 105kg to 85kg now but I am still very insulin resistant or not producing a lot of my own insulin. Some people who are not overweight experience this phenomenon.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The thing I don't understand is, how can some People with diabetes get by with no carbs? Is it because they are not insulin dependent. I follow the LC Forum and eat lovely food, but I have to have some carbs. Not had pasta, potatoes for weeks and use the BURGEN bread now - maybe 2 slices a day. I haven't weighed myself, but I think I have lost a few lbs, which I need to do.....suppose it will take longer as I am having some carbs

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am T2 diet only and happily get by on 20 to 30g of carbs a day. How low is your daily carb intake Margar ? You do need to be careful if your taking insulin as if you go to low with carbs I think you can have problems.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am T2 diet only and happily get by on 20 to 30g of carbs a day. How low is your daily carb intake Margar ? You do need to be careful if your taking insulin as if you go to low with carbs I think you can have problems.
I'm not sure how to count carbs. People say the carbs are listed on the food, but what baffles me is it says "of which are...." Do I deduct those numbers, usually 2 Or 3 in the list, and the number left will be the actual carb number. I always check b.s. before bed & if need to I'll take a Rich Tea or Digestive biscuit. I feel a bit guilty following the LC diet, because the Diabetic Nurse & Dietician doesn't approve. Seems to me, you have to find what's best for you. Thanks for your reply.

K

Kat100

I'm not sure how to count carbs. People say the carbs are listed on the food, but what baffles me is it says "of which are...." Do I deduct those numbers, usually 2 Or 3 in the list, and the number left will be the actual carb number. I always check b.s. before bed & if need to I'll take a Rich Tea or Digestive biscuit. I feel a bit guilty following the LC diet, because the Diabetic Nurse & Dietician doesn't approve. Seems to me, you have to find what's best for you. Thanks for your reply.
I eat what is best for me to ...
If you can't count carbs .. There are pictures to give you a guide .. More on portion size to ..
I don't count carb , I work on portion control .. Pictures are helpful to me ..in working out numbers ..
I don't really write on diet threads these days ,,but just felt like sharing ..
Your GP if you are lucky will or might refer you to a dietitian who can help,you carb count ...only a thought ..
If you like apps .. Then the pictures are a good guide , if you look at the pictures as a guide ..
There are books to ..
I am medium carb ..
But some days I realise I have been low carb for me ..
Don't feel guilty because I adapt my diet as and when and what suits me .. Best wishes .. Sorry @MARGAR I don't have insulin .. So don't want to mislead anyone .. But will leave post because of the pictures people can use , well food size photos , it might help someone

Last edited: