New here, concerned and need reassurance (eyesight and leg pain)

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hello everyone, I'm new here.
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes ages 5, so 13 years ago now! I'm 18, and in all honesty I really neglected my diabetes through my teen years, I missed appointments and my blood sugars were always above 15! I didn't realise the impact this would have on me, in the last 2 months I have stopped drinking alcohol, fizzy drinks, stopped smoking, I'm now an A* diabetic I guess, now I'm suffering lots of hypos! However my overall bloods have come down from 82 to 66 in the last few months, which I'm told is a great improvement !

However the complications of this dramatic tight control has been really gnarly, my eyesight has deteriorated massively, my eyes are constantly seeing everything grainy and pixelated, it's worse in dark environments and my eyes get worse when I have hypos too, my eye screening says I have diabetic maculopathy but the damage will be reversed if I keep up this tight control (phew!), my nurse has said she thinks my eyesight problems are related to my body not dealing with the dramatic reduction of sugar in my blood? I have also been suffering awful aches and pains in my legs and feet whenever I walk anywhere! It's so painful sometimes I have to sit down and take a minute before I can continue, the nurse did not seem very reassuring on this and said it is likely to be related to the blood sugar drop again? has anyone else experienced this?

I feel very alone at the moment and have been isolating myself from seeing people because I feel like I can't walk places without being in pain! I have been told my eyesight problems will resolve themselves within a couple of months, so I'm not as worried anymore, but the pains and weird sensations in my legs are really worrying, can anyone relate to these complications from gaining control of their blood glucose? and do you think the nurse was correct in relating the eyesight problems and leg pain to the control change? Sorry to ramble, needed to talk to someone!
THANK YOU in advance!! X

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes ages 5, so 13 years ago now! I'm 18, and in all honesty I really neglected my diabetes through my teen years, I missed appointments and my blood sugars were always above 15! I didn't realise the impact this would have on me, in the last 2 months I have stopped drinking alcohol, fizzy drinks, stopped smoking, I'm now an A* diabetic I guess, now I'm suffering lots of hypos! However my overall bloods have come down from 82 to 66 in the last few months, which I'm told is a great improvement !

However the complications of this dramatic tight control has been really gnarly, my eyesight has deteriorated massively, my eyes are constantly seeing everything grainy and pixelated, it's worse in dark environments and my eyes get worse when I have hypos too, my eye screening says I have diabetic maculopathy but the damage will be reversed if I keep up this tight control (phew!), my nurse has said she thinks my eyesight problems are related to my body not dealing with the dramatic reduction of sugar in my blood? I have also been suffering awful aches and pains in my legs and feet whenever I walk anywhere! It's so painful sometimes I have to sit down and take a minute before I can continue, the nurse did not seem very reassuring on this and said it is likely to be related to the blood sugar drop again? has anyone else experienced this?

I feel very alone at the moment and have been isolating myself from seeing people because I feel like I can't walk places without being in pain! I have been told my eyesight problems will resolve themselves within a couple of months, so I'm not as worried anymore, but the pains and weird sensations in my legs are really worrying, can anyone relate to these complications from gaining control of their blood glucose? and do you think the nurse was correct in relating the eyesight problems and leg pain to the control change? Sorry to ramble, needed to talk to someone!
THANK YOU in advance!! X
Welcome to the forum @samowen268. Don't neglect your diabetes for any reason. I woke up in hospital trying to deny I was diabetic. It nearly cost me my life! Always be vigilant. Remember you are with a dedicated team here.

THANK YOU in advance!! X

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can relate to you @samowen268 and you are most certainly not the only one to have neglected their type 1 in their youth! I have read many posts in my time on this forum and I too had a less than perfect time in my teenage years and early twenties.

Good news about your eyes though and that must be encouraging after all your hard work and I think your nurse probably has a point there. I remember when I decided to get my act together and experienced hypos at a pretty much normal level, just simple because my body was used to a much higher BG level, not uncommon I believe. Please note I am not making reference to your increased hypos (which I am sure are hypos given your recent improved control) just merely that the body obviously adjusts to functioning at a much higher BG than the norm and that can manifest in many ways, for me it was my hypo symptoms. Incidently since I have had one or two eye problems it is always my sight that is the first sign of a hypo for me these days!

I wouldn't be surprised if your drastic increase in control wouldn't cause some of the symptoms you are experiencing, but I am not the expert though and I wonder if you have a consultant you see periodically that may give you more insight into this? If your nurse is unsure...

It is great news though that you have turned things around and you should give yourself a pat on the back :)
Don't be tempted to give in because of the pain you are feeling, take it from someone who knows , you will pay in the long run! Good luck x

Last edited:

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
welcome @samowen268, I am sure that someone will be along soon who can help with type 1. We all tend to think we are fireproof as teens and even when we are older try to bury our heads in the sand. The important thing is how you cope with the situation you are now in. You have been assured that your eyesight will recover, it won't be overnight but as long as you stick with your new regime it will improve. The body has an amazing ability to heal itself but nerve damage and pain can be difficult to predict, at least you are still mobile even if it is not as mobile as you would like to be. Go out and let your friends come to you, they will understand that you find walking difficult. Good luck

Reactions: NinaB73

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

THANK YOU in advance!! X
Welcome to the site and congratulations on your improved control. It is really difficult especially when you want to do everything the same as your mates. I know my lads believed (mostly still do) they are immortal. The people on here are really helpful and will give you great advice. It sounds as if you are getting good care for your bg and eyes. Never neglect your eye check ups. You know your current symptoms and I will add if you ever get floaters or bright lights tell your GP immediately. Leg pain is horrendous. I am awaiting results from a MRI scan myself. It is definitely worth doing some online research yourself whilst you are waiting for the tests. Search cramps, sciatica (even if you have not got a back problem) and piriformis syndrome. It will help you understand the muscles causing your pain and help your gp prescribe the best treatment. Do not tell anyone but from my on line searches I found a certain exercise that I find helps me. All the best

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all so much!! It means a lot to feel like I'm not so alone! My days of neglecting my body are definitely over! I am just hoping that my eyes and legs recover soon, it's a nightmare haha! no not so much bright lights, it's just like a constant fuzz, almost as if I'm seeing through a static TV, it sound bizarre but I can't explain any better my next eye appt is in September so they can keep checking, and I have contact with my nurse every few weeks, in the period while I didn't know why my eyes were playing up I had an anxiety attack which was really awful, so naturally I'm ecstatic that they think the issues are related to the sudden control changes, in fact my overall bloods have never been this low before!! The leg pain is slightly worrying still but I'm hoping with time and exercise they'll get back to a somewhat normal function, thank you all again you're all a great help!

Reactions: covknit and NinaB73

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You are never alone when there are virtual friends around. Don't forget to treat yourself occasionally - some really good helps to make you feel good and need not cost much. Keep going with the your new control and let us know how you are getting on, there will be dark days as well as good.

Obill9

welcome to the forum, I, too have had problems with neuropathy in my feet and legs, you are not alone, it looks like there are many friends here who will help give you encouragement, me included, don't get discouraged

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance

THANK YOU in advance!! X
Welcome to the forum @samowen268. Never neglect your control of diabetes or it will bite you severely. This us a very unforgiving disease, and it does not rest. Good luck and speedy recovery. Keep us informed of your progress.