New here

wilky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya people, been looking round and looks like this is a great forum.

Me - 49 year old, been type 1 for about 6 years. Came on v quickly, after a virus I think - or was it coz I ate too many biscuits ;) Was great to finally get onto insulin after being scared of the needles thing and so having to go almost zero carb and be metformined to exhaustion!

Been carb counting for about 5 years, which worked really well till life got a bit chaotic, and have let the accuracy slip bigtime. My insulin is novarapid and insulatard - and have a new freestyle lite meter that I love. I take 1 unit of insulin per 7g of carbs - thats remained the same since I started carb counting. If have done a lot of exercise that decreases to bout 6g? (something I intend to get sharper on). I inject whenever I eat carbs, and have been lax about keeping carb intake down (something else I intend to get on top of). Nighttime dose is 28 units.

I'm wanting to keep abreast of any info, especially that that the main sites and the docs seems to regard as "not proven". I want to tighten up my regime to feel healthier and to live a bit longer before my bits numb out and fall off :|

I surf - not too well - and use a lot of energy out there in the waves, so ensure I'm about 15mmol/l before i go in the sea. That usually works, but am not that happy about it. Having said that, my sugars have been way higher than that fairly often, and not always when I've forgotten to spike myself. Also, I'm well fed up of disturbed sleep from hypo's!

See you round :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome to the forum,
you shouldnt be swinging between highs n lows so if u tell us what levels your bloods are on a daily basis we may be able to help :D

wilky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply and offer of help :)

Joining the forum here is about me getting it together again, so have just started some serious glucose measuring of immediately before meals, 1 and 2 hours after, and more crucially I think, reducing the overall carbs (out go the 15g of biscuits with 2 units of insulin snacks etc).

Would appreciate any link to a good spreadsheet to record on.

Will report back soon :)