Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Takes me back to the 1980's, there was excitement then about a capsule you could swallow that would deliver insulin, again the trials in pigs were successful but it never did go much further than that, still we live in hope...............

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
"Once the capsule has reached its target destination, it dissolves and exposes the drug reservoir that is covered with five-millimeter-long needles. The needles pierce the intestines when the tissue contracts, delivering the drug directly."

Eh! - Not for me thank you very much. I hate to think what it would be like passing these things out the other end - especially if you've been constipated and got about 30 needle covered capsules queuing up to be excreted :***:

Reactions: 12 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Once the capsule has reached its target destination, it dissolves and exposes the drug reservoir that is covered with five-millimeter-long needles. The needles pierce the intestines when the tissue contracts, delivering the drug directly."

Eh! - Not for me thank you very much. I hate to think what it would be like passing these things out the other end - especially if you've been constipated and got about 30 needle covered capsules queuing up to be excreted :***:

Ewwwww!

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

No pain, no gain ;)

Reactions: 2 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Sounds painful! :woot::jimlad: Think I'll hang on for inhaleable insulin!

Reactions: 10 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hihi, I think I prefer my meetings with needles as short as possible... Inject and throw away! But swallow... 0_0

G

graj0

Think I'll hang on for inhaleable insulin!
My wife is a patent attorney and worked on patent applications for the delivery system some ten years ago. It may have come under the "not enough money in it" category, because as a diabetic I was interested but never saw the product come to the marketplace. The technology was fine, I'll have to look at what happened.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Notwithstanding the needles, I still can't see how this sort of oral system is going to be as flexible as pumps or MDI. How many different capsules would you need to be able to vary your dose.
Now smart insulin that would be different.
http://jdrf.org/smartinsulin/

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds painful! :woot::jimlad: Think I'll hang on for inhaleable insulin!

You'd need a daily dose of chilli to keep the needles passing through.

Now we just need someone clever to come up with a pun on the biblical needles passing through the ar$e of a camel