New insulin pump

rarleigh

Hi Everyone,
My name is Rachael, I am 31 years old and I have Type 1 Diabetes. I first had it during pregnancy and then it went and returned in October 2005. I am now 19 weeks pregnant and my team have decided that I need to try the pump. So, I thought I would write in here to let people know about my experience and to see how I go.
I went Last Thursday to have my pump. There is no insulin in there yet, just seline. It is a practice. So at the moment I am still injecting. The training was ok and there is plenty to read up on. I thought it would really bother me having it attached to me all the time, but it hasn't. In fact I keep forgetting that its there.
As for the fact that people may see it, well, if it gives me a better quality of live, then that's all that matters.
I have changed it once, I didn't think that I would be able to do it because it looked so compllicated when the nurse put it in for me, but I managed it. Because I am pregnant, I have to change mine every 2 days, but otherwise it's every 3 days.
The pump has a menu, so it's a bit like using a mobile phone. After having a good read, it isn't as difficult as I thought it would be.
I'm off to my hospital appointment now to have my insulin in my pump, or to "go live" as the nurses say. Very nervous, but very possitive.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Hello Rachael

I've been on a pump for 4 years so any questions just yell! There's quite a few fellow pumpers on here too. Didn't get on well with my first device (AccuChek Spirit), but now very happy with my current one. It'll be second nature to you before you know it. :D

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Hey,

What pump are you using? Is it an Animas 2020? I've been pumping with the animas 2020 for about 10 weeks now, it's great! I never started with saline though, i went straight onto insulin... i haven't looked back since!!!!

The pump is amazing, it really comes into it's own for dealing with hypo's and highs, the fact that you can change your basal rate *just like that* is brilliant. It takes a lot of hard work and time to get the basal rates right, but once they are there it's SO worth while.

Do you now when you start pumping insulin?