new-ish type 2 in denial

emmatree1927

Hi all,

Am glad I have found this site. I have been struggling to deal with the diagnosis of type 2, and the discipline needed! I'm 36 and got gestational diabetes torwards the end of my pregnancy 3 years ago. It was controlled successfully by diet. My BMI then was 41 and is 35 now, I am 2.5 stones lighter now. Had regular checks and 18 months ago was diagnosed type 2.I was shocked and if I'm honest, i kind of ignored it and went on a bit of a binge thinking I'd better eat all the sweet stuff now because I wouldn't be able to again! It's ridiculous I know! So, now I've calmed down and am trying to get a grip on it and my HbA1c is now 9.0 which is why I am now this week starting on metformin. I feel such a failure as my greed and weight has caused this, I'm feeling very low but so far am successfully keeping to my own low sugar/low calorie/low fat diet. Looking forward to learning more here and getting this under control.

emmatree1927

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Don't waste time on balming yourself
your reaction is natural. Now "Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start.
,all over again"
Get a meter if you don't have one, reduce your carb intake and take care of yourself

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
emmatree1927 said:
Hi all,

Am glad I have found this site. I have been struggling to deal with the diagnosis of type 2, and the discipline needed! I'm 36 and got gestational diabetes torwards the end of my pregnancy 3 years ago. It was controlled successfully by diet. My BMI then was 41 and is 35 now, I am 2.5 stones lighter now. Had regular checks and 18 months ago was diagnosed type 2.I was shocked and if I'm honest, i kind of ignored it and went on a bit of a binge thinking I'd better eat all the sweet stuff now because I wouldn't be able to again! It's ridiculous I know! So, now I've calmed down and am trying to get a grip on it and my HbA1c is now 9.0 which is why I am now this week starting on metformin. I feel such a failure as my greed and weight has caused this, I'm feeling very low but so far am successfully keeping to my own low sugar/low calorie/low fat diet. Looking forward to learning more here and getting this under control.

emmatree1927
G'day

OK, you're allowed to stop beating yourself up now. Feeling better?

Ready to get started?

Begin here: (click on it): Getting Started

Aadrgon

Hi Emma and welcome

Think all of us go through that stage to a lesser or greater degree. ( my denial period was over a year) Read the forums and ask questions as and when you need to :)