new Job dilemma

daleyo

Hi everyone new to the site need some sound advice please.I have moved to the Edinburgh area from south Yorkshire and signed up with an agency not telling them about my type one diabetes I have had it for 30 years now and is well controlled.I keep fit ny walking and climbing.have landed a job with agency at Mitsabushi in Livingston due to start Monday first off is a meeting with hr and medical don't know what kind of medical though.so should I should I not tell them don't want to mess this up
Adviise please.........

M

mammamia2006

You should tell them. Just in case anything happens to you & they dont know. Plus, the agency can remove you for not being honest with them.

Enjoy your new job.

C

catherinecherub

This is what DUK has to say and should help you make a decision.

When to tell recruiters
It can be difficult to decide when to tell recruiters about your diabetes. The Equality Act now makes it unlawful for an employer to ask about the health of an applicant before offering them work. This is subject to specific identified exceptions, including where: the employer wishes to establish whether the applicant will need adjustments to be made, in connection with arrangements for the assessment process, the employer is asking for monitoring purposes, (but they must not use this information to discriminate against someone with a disability), the employer wants to improve disabled people’s chance of getting employment; the question asked is relevant to find out if the applicant can carry out tasks that are absolutely necessary to the job.

In some professions there are specific rules regarding certification and physical qualification and you will have to disclose your diabetes to be properly assessed. But for the most part, there is no legal requirement to disclose diabetes and the decision whether to tell an employer or prospective employer is up to the individual. However, if an employer does not know, and could not reasonable have been expected to know that you have diabetes, you may not be able to rely on the Equality Act if you feel you have been discriminated against.

Note
If you are not asked about diabetes at your interview, it is probably best to wait until you have been told in writing that you are being offered the position. By this stage the recruiters will have already decided whether you are suitable for the job and the fact that you have diabetes shouldn't influence their final decision.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Living_with_diabetes/Employment/

RAH79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Daleyo

I am a HR manager with Type 1 Diabetes. Basically from an Employment Law perspective you are not legally binded to disclose any Medical related conditions. Therefore you are not obliged to disclose that you are a Diabetic with either the Agency or the Company you are working for. In the same way, the Agency cannot penalise or force you to disclose a medical condition. When disclosing a potential protected characteristic such as a medical condition, the Employer can request for you to attend an Occupational Health appointment. This is not a bad thing, in fact in my Employment OH reports provide advice to Employers to support you in work with your medical condition. OH advisors will also inform the Employer whether you have an underlying medical condition which is likely or unlikely to be considered a disability with accordance with the Equality Act 2010. The Disability definition under the Equality Act 2010 is different from a medical Definition, and it is for an Employment Tribunal to determine this (which is why they say likely or unlikely in an OH report). If it is advised that your Diabetes is a likely to be considered a disability in accordance with the Employment Law your Employer is legally obliged to consider reasonable adjustments. Such adjustments could be more frequent breaks to manage hypos or to allow you time to test your blood glucose or it may be a room or a First Aid room to administer insulin. These adjustments may be recommended by OH however is not an automatic right, your employer will need to determine whether the adjustments can be supported within their business and depending on the type of work you undertake.

Therefore, it is up to you if you wish to disclose the medical information. However if you do not, and you have a hypo they may not know what to do. Additionally, by disclosing that you are a Diabetic, they may be able to put things in place just in case you need them to support you in work and manage your Diabetes.

P.S - My advice applies to what I understand from the Employment Law and Type 1 Diabetes and my employers are not involved. I also have to disclose that I am not legally trained and this is simply guidance based on my own knowledge. Culture, Operational needs and Business requirements may be different in other workplaces, therefore each case should be based on a case by case basis.

Hope this helps xxx