New job/Flying

FlashManDo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Stupid ppl!!!!
Hello everyone I am looking for people's experiences going through airports and flying with an insulin pump. I have been lucky enough to get through the screening process, interview stage and to be offered a position with British Airways on their mixed fleet cabin crew. I have had my medical and there is no physical reason for me not to be passed fit to fly their only concern is the fact that I wear an insulin pump, I am the first person to get this far in the process whose diabetes is controlled with a pump. They are researching the pump, I use the accu-chek combo. I thought it would be a good idea to get the experience of the diabetic community as between you you have probably travelled the world and gone through more airports than I could hope to visit. Any experience, good and bad, and any advice on travelling with the pump and medication across the world would be greatly appreciated ✈️✈️

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not flown since changing to a pump but will bump your post up the forum in the hope you get some replies.

Reactions: Sonnyb2

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I've flown with the pump and had no problems at all. Just had a letter from hospital stating I was a pump user. I just normally tell them before I go through scanning etc. The same when I went to Statue of Liberty. I think if you are up front and tell them you are on an insulin pump for type1 diabetes then it's ok.

Sounds fab you have got this far I didn't even realise you could be cabin crew now-just shows how much things have changed!

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@FlashManDo I've flown a number of times with a pump. I tell them at check-in because obviously I'm carrying sharps. I then tell them at security, show them my pump and have a pat down search and usually they swab the pump for chemicals. The result from that takes a few minutes to come back, then I'm waved through along with everyone else.

I always carry a letter from my doctor with me, and also a copy of my prescription. Usually, they only glance at the letter, but once they did have a good old look at it. I didn't mind at all.

On the plane, if I'm sitting by a stranger I tell them I have diabetes, show them my pump and explain what I'm doing.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In past four years I've flown many times in Europe, Far East and America with pump and CGM with no issues.

You will need to put your handsets through the hand baggage Xray - I have found this to be ok

You can walk through the metal detectors without an issue - but tell the security before hand you're wearing a pump.

Only once have I had to go through a full body scan, again told security beforehand I'm wearing a pump and machine needs turning off which they did (Heathrow Term2) and let me walk through it.

I have never put my pump into flight mode nor turned off the bluetooth, same for the CGM. Never had any issues.

You will need to decide whether to move timezones or stick with one, for me I move timezone on departure, if it's more than 2 hours I do half when I leave and other half when I arrive, otherwise all when I leave.

Well done BTW :)

FlashManDo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Stupid ppl!!!!
Thank you. The doc at BA had concerns about going through security in the Far East, happy that I can report you passed through ok. Will have to play around with switching time zones etc, I might just keep it as home as its a job not a holiday, but it'll be a lot of trial and error until I get used to the routes and what works on them

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
I work on the rigs, currently in Saudi but travel all round the world I've had no issues, they are interested to see all your kit I travel anywhere upto 40 days so imagine the amount of needles etc... I don't have a pump as I don't think they make an ex rated one that's explosion proof for the rigs so good old needles for me but don't panic take your letter and you will be fine

Reactions: 2 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you. The doc at BA had concerns about going through security in the Far East, happy that I can report you passed through ok. Will have to play around with switching time zones etc, I might just keep it as home as its a job not a holiday, but it'll be a lot of trial and error until I get used to the routes and what works on them

Far East is easy you will have no issues with security - agree with you probably best to remain on UK or your base home time unless you get any long stop overs. Forgot to mention I also carry spare preloaded pens (long and short acting) just in case I get a pump issue, plus twice as many pump consumables as I need. Have you considered asking your Diabetic team if they will fund a CGM for you ? with your flying and work it would be a useful tool.

Reactions: 2 people

FlashManDo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Stupid ppl!!!!
It's good to know security will be a breeze especially in the Far East. Yeah I will be carrying spare pens, pump, insulin, blood meter and lots of consumables! No I hadn't considered asking about CGM but I will certainly ask at my next review. But I think for BA one new thing at a time!!

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've done lots of travelling back and forward from Spain to England. Not had any problems with the pump but I've had numerous problems with very arrogant and unhelpful staff at security control due to me carrying 200ml carton of juice especially Newcastle and Bristol but other European airports have been great and let me keep it and not asked anymore questions. Good luck with your travels