New lada type diagnosis

bevellar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My husband was diagnosed as lada type 2 weeks ago and has been on insulin 4times a day , his levels are still all over the place
We have seen consultant and diabetic nurse and are waiting for an apt with dietician .
I've read posts where others are saying they need to take insulin with everything they eat ??
Can someone explain this
Thanks in advance

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I guess your husband is on what's called the Basal/Bolus regime which means one Basal injection per day and three injections of Bolus before each main meal. You only need to take an additional Bolus if you have a large snack - say over 40 gms of carbs but that's a guess. If your husband isn't yet adjusting his Bolus shots to the number of carbs at a meal (called carb-counting) then his DN should instruct him on this shortly as this is essential to avoid sugar highs and lows and is easy. I would advise caution when seeing the dietician as many haven't a clue about diet! There is all the dietary advice he needs on this forum and it's from actual diabetics. Basically keep the carbs down to avoid weight gain with insulin and have enough proteins, fats, veg and non-tropical fruit to feel full. With insulin you can eat fairly freely but avoid weight gain thru excessive carbs.