New laws for blood testing before driving?

My partner has type 2 diabetes and which has been perfectly well controlled on 2mg of glimepiride a day for the last year. He is very fit, and since he was diagnosed 2 years' ago has never had a hypo or any side effects from diabetes at all. When he went for his annual check up with the GP he was told that there has been recent law changes and was issued for the first time with a blood sugar meter. They told him that all diabetics will soon be required by law to test their blood sugar with a meter before driving.

Has anyone else been told this? Is it really the law and what implications are their likely to be if he only checks himself before driving long distances? (In fact what constitutes "before driving" - if you test, drive to a shop, walk around for 30 minutes and then get back in the car is he supposed to test again "before driving"!?).

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi susie this is a very grey area for diabetics which in my opinion are not very clear but more general advice which have to be followed by law. Any medication used to lower sugar levels does need testing b4 driving. Not sure on type 2 meds as I'm type 1. I think metformin does not require this but certain meds for type 2 will, one of which your husband is using. Not sure if you have to inform insurers and dvla worth finding out as I had to on injections and given a 3 year license which each time has to be renewed. if on a long journey you have to test before and every 2 hours. Ideally sugar at least 5 before. Your question about shopping for 30 mins, I would advise to retest as this may lead to a drop in levels and will also cover you should there be an accident his fault or not! If he had a hypo below 4, treat as usual and wait 45 mins before driving as this is the recommended time for the brain to fully recover.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It'll be interesting as many type 2's do not get strips on prescription. Maybe this will help ! Just going through notifying DVLA at present so will find out soon. I know that LGV ( Cat C and C1 etc ) must prove BG readings but not for cars. We'll see !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App