new licence help

sawyer37

Hi I have recently passed my test and just received my first driving licence and I saw it had an expiry date of mar 2014 so I called and they said cause of my diabetes its restricted to 3 years. They said a form will be sent on 26th dec for me to complete but I won't need to get anything from gp. (Although they might write to him). This has got me a bit worried. What questions are on the form? And do they always write to gp? I'm not the best diabetic my sugars are never really high and I have never been in hospital or any complications but I'm really nervous they will remove my licence after spending all my money and time on lessons. Can anyone offer any help or advice please? Many thanks

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The main thing they are looking for is assisted hypos ( those requiring treatment from a 3rd party ) or hypo unawareness. You don't need to have super control to keep your license. As long as you don't hypo too regularly, become hypo unaware or your eyesight deteriorates ( retinopathy ) you should be fine.

sawyer37

Hi mo thank you for your reply. I rarely have hypos (had diabetes for 20 years) and get regular eye tests and screening what type of questions are on the form and do you know if they always contact your gp? Not that contacting him is a problem just wondering. Thank you

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I believe the majority of the questions are yes/no type. Example, "how many assisted hypos have you had in the last 12 months " or "can you read a car registration plate at X metres away" type of thing. I seem to remember have you had eyes screened ? Other complications ? etc. As far as contacting your doctor, I'm not sure if they always do or not. However, if they do, they are not too interested in minute details. Again, the focus is hypos. I'm sure you've got nothing to fear.