1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

new member askin about pumps

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by judith74, Apr 8, 2012.

1. judith74

judith74 Type 1 · Member

My names Judith & I'm brand new to this site. I've been Type 1 for 28yrs now and it looks like my insulin/sugar control has reached a point where I'll need a pump. Just wondering if anyone out there can let me know the good & bad stuff they've experienced with them. Thank you

2. pickle76

pickle76 · Well-Known Member

Hi Judith,

I've been on a pump now for 3 months so I can give you my opinion but only from a limited time frame point of view! I'm sure others will have more to add.

Pros:
    *Better control pretty quickly
    *The ability to adjust and control things at times that were tricky on injections (ie overnight, dawn phenomenon, hormonal times etc)
    *No injections

Cons:
    *Lots of blood sugar testing (although I did this anyway)
    *Fasting tests to get basal levels right (definitely worth it)
    *Cannula and set changes (but balance this against X number of daily injections)
    *Being 'hooked up' to your pump all the time (although you'd have to wrestle mine away from me!)

So as far as I'm concerned, even the 'cons' are worth it! It all depends on your frame of mind and if the pump is something you really want to go for or if it's being pushed upon you. It's hard work but in different ways to MDI, and in my opinion, worth all that hard work.

3. judith74

judith74 Type 1 · Member

Hi Pickle76

Thank you for your response. Judith

4. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Judith,
    Pumps are basically only as good as the user so if you put in the work you reap the rewards :) I haven't found a down side yet to pumping as quality of life is so much improved.
    The best advice I can give you is to buy the book pumping insulin by John Walsh (Amazon). It's known as the pumpers bible and worth it's weight in gold.

5. ShaunTheRam

ShaunTheRam · Newbie

Hi Judith,

I 100% agree with Carbsrok - particularly regarding the John Walsh book, which is fantastic.

For me, the pump was life changing, and I have had mine almost 4 years now.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl · Well-Known Member

I've been on the pump for nearly 3 years now. I refused to entertain the idea for a long time as I believed that there'd be a lot I couldn't do (watersports) & clothes that I couldn't wear. I wouldn't give it back now though.

It's been by no means plain sailing & still isn't, but my control is better. Some people seem to have it quite easy, others, like me, still struggle. My hba1c has dropped to 6.9/7 last 2 tests, but it hasn't stopped me spiking after meals and having dozens of hypos every month. Certain people think that this is because I don't try hard enough, but they're wrong.

Anyway, off my soapbox & answer you question. It has been a positive thing for me overall. I now like that I can eat snacks occasionally & just press a button to get more insulin. It has dealt with my very strong dawn phenomenon. It is easy to have a correction bolus if you test & find that you're high. It is easier to deal with the after effects of exercise.

I still waterski & windsurf, but have to be a bit pragmatic control-wise when I'm doing that sort of thing. Hiking is much easier to deal with, just turn down the basal rate an hour before setting off.

I can still wear most clothes, except very clingy dresses. However, I'm getting older & less likely to wear such things anyway.

You do have to accept that it'll be visible most of the time. You can hide it in a bra or thigh pouch, some people put them in their bras (never been comfortable for me), mine goes inside my boot in winter. However, if it's well hidden, you need one with a remote control, or you'll be forever popping off to the loo to get at it to bolus.

Do your research on the different pumps available. Don't let your HCPs tell you that you can only have one type. If you meet the criteria, you are entitled to choose the most appropriate one for you, as long as it's NICE approved.

Things to consider:

Do I want/need a remote control?

How small is the minimum basal increment? (important if you have low insulin requirements)

How many basal rates per day can I programme? (most people use only 8-10, others, like me 16+, it really depends on your unique requirements)

How many basal patterns are available? (I use different patterns for post-exercise, pre-menstrual, weekday/weekends & holidays)

Do I want the option of continuous glucose monitoring? (though very difficult to get NHS funding for this & very expensive)

Do I want to have a tubeless pump? (there is one such pump available, the Omnipod)

You'll probably find that no pump does everything that you want it to, so you'll need to decide the Musts & Wants to decide the best one for you.

I hope that this all helps.

7. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

I don't know where you live Judith but there is an insulin pump roadshow touring at the moment.
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28481

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook