New member with diabetes in friends & family

kipkatzzz_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi, I decided to join up as we have some serious diabetes in my family and mostly combined with long standing obesity. I am increasingly angry at the latest raft of mostly unhelpful & disingenuous diet tv programs & books, especially Tom Kerridge! One has to ask how he let himself get so huge in the first place! I really understand that for some people, my mother & sister included, foodcan easily become the highlight of every day if loneliness, depression & isolation are factors. It has clearly been shown that calorie restriction long term is unsustainable for most people & yetthis is still widely promoted.

My best friend’s husband is T2 & I shared house with a T1 diabetic when I was a nurse. Then, the advice was always loose the carbs, all or any carbs as whether so called good or bad, they are all metabolised as glucose. Yet now it seems that many are advised to eat carbs “ in moderation “ . A nonsense term anyway as totally arbitrary! My husband can & does, when he chooses, loose weight on the 5-2 diet, & I really think that this approach is the most sensible we have for most people as it does at least allow some latitude for social, hormonal or other lapses!

Reactions: kokhongw

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are pretty much on the right track. Do check out the Success stories thread to see how many of us here manage our conditions over the years...

Reactions: kipkatzzz_

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been trying to get through to medical people that I put on weight when eating carbs in the amounts they think are essential to sustain life - trying since 1974 ish - they simply do not believe me.
Since diagnosis I have not seen my own doctor, but was called in to see a doctor to be put back on statins. That did not go well.

Reactions: shelley262

kipkatzzz_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I have been trying to get through to medical people that I put on weight when eating carbs in the amounts they think are essential to sustain life - trying since 1974 ish - they simply do not believe me.
Since diagnosis I have not seen my own doctor, but was called in to see a doctor to be put back on statins. That did not go well.
I see that you're keen on Keto, me too but it does not suit me as I find so much fat unpalatable and I am extremely carb sensitive. I mostly do Intemitant Fasting to stay as I am. Good to meet you!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve just posted this on another thread but it seems to apply here too:
I was diagnosed Type 2 last May and started a low carb diet straight away, primarily to sort out my blood sugar levels. I don’t go mad on the high fat aspect, I do have Diet Drs coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream for breakfast and some strawberries and cream after dinner, but I still eat low fat yoghurt, I get the Greek style Danone Free and Light 0% fat and 0% sugar, low fat cheese and other fat free options but you need to check out the carb content carefully as sometimes the fat is replaced with sugar. On this diet I have lost 5 stone in 8 months and have not struggled. The diet is filling and with a bit of searching on the internet for new recipes varied.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Most of us T2s on here feel the same as you. In fact, I might say we all do.
The advice to lose carbs is the way to go. It certainly worked for me.

kipkatzzz_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I was diagnosed Type 2 last May and started a low carb diet straight away, primarily to sort out my blood sugar levels. I don’t go mad on the high fat aspect, I do have Diet Drs coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream for breakfast and some strawberries and cream after dinner, but I still eat low fat yoghurt, I get the Greek style Danone Free and Light 0% fat and 0% sugar, low fat cheese and other fat free options but you need to check out the carb content carefully as sometimes the fat is replaced with sugar. On this diet I have lost 5 stone in 8 months and have not struggled. The diet is filling and with a bit of searching on the internet for new recipes varied.
Brilliant and well done you! But when I checked out the labels of low fat products especially yogurts they'd replaced the fat with tapioca starch - yuk!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think Tom must be commended for turning around his lifestyle. No one 'allows' obesity to happen to them. Are you aware that weight gain is just one symptom among many of T2? Are you aware that up to 20% of those who develope T2 are of 'normal' weight on diagnosis?
Over forty years of dietary advice has been given by Health Care Professionals, professionals who to this day push the eat less move more, calories in calories out, low fat/fear of fat mantra that has brought us to a situation that sees Diabesity at pandemic levels. Blaming individuals for 'allowing' themselves to become unhealthy is unhelpful and frankly not a little harsh.

kipkatzzz_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I think Tom must be commended for turning around his lifestyle. No one 'allows' obesity to happen to them. Are you aware that weight gain is just one symptom among many of T2? Are you aware that up to 20% of those who develope T2 are of 'normal' weight on diagnosis?
Over forty years of dietary advice has been given by Health Care Professionals, professionals who to this day push the eat less move more, calories in calories out, low fat/fear of fat mantra that has brought us to a situation that sees Diabesity at pandemic levels. Blaming individuals for 'allowing' themselves to become unhealthy is unhelpful and frankly not a little harsh.

Yes, it is, and yes, I am aware but Tom Kerridge has the best at his disposal unlike many others and though I understand that top chefs are under a massive amount of pressure, weight does not go on overnight and there are so many people without the advantages that he has at their disposal.
I do commend him for his weight loss but not for getting into that state - he was not always, and certainly not for his disingenuous tv programme! Most people are not great chefs with the knowledge of food and it's preparation that he trained for (again, commendable), and I worry for those like my friends and family that live very ordinary lives with few perks and even less money, who struggle to find a helpful path through all the money spinning Tv and books!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I decided to join up as we have some serious diabetes in my family and mostly combined with long standing obesity. I am increasingly angry at the latest raft of mostly unhelpful & disingenuous diet tv programs & books, especially Tom Kerridge! One has to ask how he let himself get so huge in the first place! I really understand that for some people, my mother & sister included, foodcan easily become the highlight of every day if loneliness, depression & isolation are factors. It has clearly been shown that calorie restriction long term is unsustainable for most people & yetthis is still widely promoted.

My best friend’s husband is T2 & I shared house with a T1 diabetic when I was a nurse. Then, the advice was always loose the carbs, all or any carbs as whether so called good or bad, they are all metabolised as glucose. Yet now it seems that many are advised to eat carbs “ in moderation “ . A nonsense term anyway as totally arbitrary! My husband can & does, when he chooses, loose weight on the 5-2 diet, & I really think that this approach is the most sensible we have for most people as it does at least allow some latitude for social, hormonal or other lapses!

I hope this helps, and welcome...
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

D

Deleted Account

Welcome.
You seem to be much more knowledgeable than most people with out (and some with) diabetes.

I want to add a note of caution about lumping all people with diabetes together.
With type 1 it is very possible to maintain good management of diabetes without low carb: it is about matching insulin to carb intake.
Some people with type 1 diabetes choice to follow a low carb diet as they find it helps them with this but many find it is not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, it is, and yes, I am aware but Tom Kerridge has the best at his disposal unlike many others and though I understand that top chefs are under a massive amount of pressure, weight does not go on overnight and there are so many people without the advantages that he has at their disposal.
I do commend him for his weight loss but not for getting into that state - he was not always, and certainly not for his disingenuous tv programme! Most people are not great chefs with the knowledge of food and it's preparation that he trained for (again, commendable), and I worry for those like my friends and family that live very ordinary lives with few perks and even less money, who struggle to find a helpful path through all the money spinning Tv and books!

I cannot speak to his tv programme or his books as I have not seen them. What say you of the reports broadcast by the BBC recently that up to 50% of staff in the NHS are overweight or obese? Chefs have knowledge of food and its preparation but DNs and Dietitians have knowledge of the metabolism and it is their advice that holds sway.

kipkatzzz_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
It certainly is about matching insulin to carb intake but as insulin is toxic and also a fat storage hormone, I would say that reducing insulin dependence to the minimum is a sound approach, but I recognise that we are all different and there is no one size fits all prescription :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

kipkatzzz_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I cannot speak to his tv programme or his books as I have not seen them. What say you of the reports broadcast by the BBC recently that up to 50% of staff in the NHS are overweight or obese? Chefs have knowledge of food and its preparation but DNs and Dietitians have knowledge of the metabolism and it is their advice that holds sway.
So agree - but with the “market economy” that Blair (among others) promoted, we have ended up with Burger King etc in our hospitals as well as numerous other purveyors of unhealthy foods. In Cambridge that is exactly the situation in our hospital & added to that is the fact that now several generations have grown up grazing continually, their addiction to junk food has become often intractable!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So agree - but with the “market economy” that Blair (among others) promoted, we have ended up with Burger King etc in our hospitals as well as numerous other purveyors of unhealthy foods. In Cambridge that is exactly the situation in our hospital & added to that is the fact that now several generations have grown up grazing continually, their addiction to junk food has become often intractable!

I agree. But the fault isn't theirs, it has become the norm. Big Food holds too much influence over us and our health institutions. As individuals we should not play the blame game, as you may have noticed there is a line in my signature that says 'It is only easy after you have learned it'.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It certainly is about matching insulin to carb intake but as insulin is toxic and also a fat storage hormone, I would say that reducing insulin dependence to the minimum is a sound approach, but I recognise that we are all different and there is no one size fits all prescription :)

As I am sure you know, insulin is a naturally occurring hormone which is vital to life. T1s neglecting their insulin doses can rapidly become extremely ill, or the unthinkably worse.

Reactions: Struma

kipkatzzz_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
As I am sure you know, insulin is a naturally occurring hormone which is vital to life. T1s neglecting their insulin doses can rapidly become extremely ill, or the unthinkably worse.
Yes, I know that but the necessary balance is better regulated by not consuming too many carbs in the first place I think.
I had a friend, T1, who regularly overdid the carbs in the form of junk food and beer on nights out, and then topped up insulin doses to bring her BG down again. She ended up needing more & more insulin and developed many of the nasty results which she now has to live with.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I totally disagree with what you’ve said that insulin is toxic. That’s false!

Insulin is our friend and it’s a clean medicine.

Without insulin, T1s including some T2s will die.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kipkatzzz_ Welcome to the forum.
I'm sure you will bring opinions and advice to the forum that will benefit people. Type2 diabetics especially.
Please don't assume though that " having " a T1 friend gives you an insight into the lives of T1 diabetics.