Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
Hello, just registered as I'm newly diagnosed. Not much information from Doctor been received, I was given a leaflet on the GI diet and my wife has bought some GI books :oops: Wasn't even told what type I have. Fast blood test gave a reading of only 6.9 and Doctor just said keep it under control :roll: I have next test in three months.

I'm currently 49 years old and was told I would eventually be diabetic when I was 30 and had pancreatitis and my gaul bladder removed. I also have high blood pressure, cataract on right eye (had one removed from left) and sleep apnoea.

So as I think this is a low reading, whats in store for me and is the GI diet the best to follow. Any advice will be gratefully received as I really know nothing and everyone seems much more informed than me. :oops:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The GI diet is a pretty good place to start, especially if you keep to the low numbers. You're right 6.9 isn't a very high number, but it's just below 7, which is where damage to the micro blood vessels starts,( non-diabetics keep around 5)so ideally you need to get that down. If you keep to low GI and do some exercise, You might well succeed. good luck. Your doctor gave you much more than many newly diagnosed folks get.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum ,Cameraman.Believe me we were all like you when first diagnosed!It's all a learning process to understand and then get control of your diabetes,and it is yourDiabetes.We are all different so no one size fits all advice suits everyone.Try the GI diet and see if it helps you lose weight and helps your blood sugar (BS) levels go down.Do you have a test meter to start with? This is an essential piece of equipment for any diabetic.With the meter you can test your BS first thing in the morning,before and 2 hours after meals and start to build up a picture of which foods raise your BS and which don't.This is the start of taking control of your diabetes.If you read the forum you will find many and varied views on diet etc.Make up your own mind,try out the ideas see which you feel most comfortable with,which help you achieve better control etc.Courtesy of Katherine ,one of our expert members here is a synopsis of FAQ we often get asked.

Here is an excerpt from the course at http://www.dsolve.com that answers your question:

When do I test my blood sugars?

In order to find out how well your body is dealing with your diet and any medication you are taking blood sugars need to be taken:

On waking
Immediately before breakfast
Before each meal
Two hours after each meal
At bedtime

How do I use these blood sugar measurements to best effect?

"Eat to meter" is a shortened way to say that you eat to ensure that YOUR BLOOD SUGARS STAY WITHIN YOUR TARGET RANGE.

Many diabetologists genuinely believe that diabetics cannot realistically achieve normal blood sugars. They hope that the best they can do is to monitor the inevitable decline in health that high blood sugars produce long term and sort out the worst of the complications with drugs, lasers and surgery.

There is no doubt that achieving normal blood sugars most of the time requires a lot of personal education, self experimentation, time and effort. Whether this is worth it or not is a decision that you must make. It is after all your eyes, kidneys, feet and heart that are at risk.

Unfortunately the NHS and many other international health care systems do not currently provide an available, affordable and appropriate educational package to help you achieve normal blood sugars. Helping you get the degree of control you want is the purpose of this booklet. It is essential that you become an expert in your own type of diabetes and its management. For further help go to http://www.dsolve.com.

In order to achieve normal blood sugars most people with type two diabetes will have to go on a pretty strict low carb diet. As well as this you will need to understand about how other physiological events and exercise affect your blood sugars. Remember that you are making long term decisions about your health every time you eat. Very tight control may not be for everyone. Have a look at the next section which is applicable to type ones as well to decide what you are aiming for.

Extremely tight control

For those who seek the blood sugar levels equivalent to a healthy person who does not have diabetes. Most appropriate for adult women diabetics who are planning a pregnancy and experienced adult low carbers who are already doing well with very few hypos who and wish to minimise or reverse complications.

Hbaic 4.2-5.0%
Premeal target range 3.5- 5.5
One hour post meal range under 7.8
Two hour post meal range under 6.5

Tight Control

Experienced Low carbers. You will find it easier than most to achieve this. Most type twos at the strict end of the low carb eating scale can hit this in 2-6 months.

hbaic is 5-6%
premeal target range 3.3-7.8
one hour post meal range less than 8.9
specific premeal target 5.6

Typical Control

Ideal for drivers who wish to avoid hypoglycaemia.
Most adults.

hbaic range 6-7%
premeal target range 3.9-8.9
one hour post meal target less than 10
specific premeal target 6.7

These blood levels would have most diabetologists and endocrinologists cartwheeling down their hospital corridors with glee. These levels are great to get to when you have been struggling so hard with a high carb/low fat diet. Please be aware however that you will be delaying rather than preventing complications at these levels. I don't want to take the wind out of anyone's sails but when you have been low carbing for a while it does get progressively easier to hit these targets. If this is you do you think you could go a little lower?

Looser control:

Older diabetics and particularly those who live alone. Because diabetic complications develop slowly over several to many years you may be able to be more relaxed.

hbaic range 7-8%
premeal target 4.4-10
post one hour target 11
specific premeal target 7.8

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
Thanks for the replies, both very helpful :D some food for thought for me. I'll check in again and have a good browse around the forums after work tomorrow as I'm off to bed now as I have to be at work for 0330. :roll:

Trinkwasser

hanadr said:
The GI diet is a pretty good place to start, especially if you keep to the low numbers. You're right 6.9 isn't a very high number, but it's just below 7, which is where damage to the micro blood vessels starts,( non-diabetics keep around 5)so ideally you need to get that down. If you keep to low GI and do some exercise, You might well succeed. good luck. Your doctor gave you much more than many newly diagnosed folks get.

Agreed, it's an order of magnitude better than the standard low fat advice. Our doctors are "forbidden" to advise it but the nurses seems to be able to.

DSolve is one of my favourite sites for newbies, here's another

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

The key is to test regularly at first, not everyone's body treats things as if they have the same GI as everyone else, use it as a basis to be altered by your own experience

Jo123

sugarless sue said:
Welcome to the forum ,Cameraman.Believe me we were all like you when first diagnosed!It's all a learning process to understand and then get control of your diabetes,and it is yourDiabetes.We are all different so no one size fits all advice suits everyone.Try the GI diet and see if it helps you lose weight and helps your blood sugar (BS) levels go down.Do you have a test meter to start with? This is an essential piece of equipment for any diabetic.With the meter you can test your BS first thing in the morning,before and 2 hours after meals and start to build up a picture of which foods raise your BS and which don't.This is the start of taking control of your diabetes.If you read the forum you will find many and varied views on diet etc.Make up your own mind,try out the ideas see which you feel most comfortable with,which help you achieve better control etc.Courtesy of Katherine ,one of our expert members here is a synopsis of FAQ we often get asked.

Here is an excerpt from the course at http://www.dsolve.com that answers your question:

When do I test my blood sugars?

In order to find out how well your body is dealing with your diet and any medication you are taking blood sugars need to be taken:

On waking
Immediately before breakfast
Before each meal
Two hours after each meal
At bedtime

How do I use these blood sugar measurements to best effect?

"Eat to meter" is a shortened way to say that you eat to ensure that YOUR BLOOD SUGARS STAY WITHIN YOUR TARGET RANGE.

Many diabetologists genuinely believe that diabetics cannot realistically achieve normal blood sugars. They hope that the best they can do is to monitor the inevitable decline in health that high blood sugars produce long term and sort out the worst of the complications with drugs, lasers and surgery.

There is no doubt that achieving normal blood sugars most of the time requires a lot of personal education, self experimentation, time and effort. Whether this is worth it or not is a decision that you must make. It is after all your eyes, kidneys, feet and heart that are at risk.

Unfortunately the NHS and many other international health care systems do not currently provide an available, affordable and appropriate educational package to help you achieve normal blood sugars. Helping you get the degree of control you want is the purpose of this booklet. It is essential that you become an expert in your own type of diabetes and its management. For further help go to http://www.dsolve.com.

In order to achieve normal blood sugars most people with type two diabetes will have to go on a pretty strict low carb diet. As well as this you will need to understand about how other physiological events and exercise affect your blood sugars. Remember that you are making long term decisions about your health every time you eat. Very tight control may not be for everyone. Have a look at the next section which is applicable to type ones as well to decide what you are aiming for.

Extremely tight control

For those who seek the blood sugar levels equivalent to a healthy person who does not have diabetes. Most appropriate for adult women diabetics who are planning a pregnancy and experienced adult low carbers who are already doing well with very few hypos who and wish to minimise or reverse complications.

Hbaic 4.2-5.0%
Premeal target range 3.5- 5.5
One hour post meal range under 7.8
Two hour post meal range under 6.5

Tight Control

Experienced Low carbers. You will find it easier than most to achieve this. Most type twos at the strict end of the low carb eating scale can hit this in 2-6 months.

hbaic is 5-6%
premeal target range 3.3-7.8
one hour post meal range less than 8.9
specific premeal target 5.6

Typical Control

Ideal for drivers who wish to avoid hypoglycaemia.
Most adults.

hbaic range 6-7%
premeal target range 3.9-8.9
one hour post meal target less than 10
specific premeal target 6.7

These blood levels would have most diabetologists and endocrinologists cartwheeling down their hospital corridors with glee. These levels are great to get to when you have been struggling so hard with a high carb/low fat diet. Please be aware however that you will be delaying rather than preventing complications at these levels. I don't want to take the wind out of anyone's sails but when you have been low carbing for a while it does get progressively easier to hit these targets. If this is you do you think you could go a little lower?

Looser control:

Older diabetics and particularly those who live alone. Because diabetic complications develop slowly over several to many years you may be able to be more relaxed.

hbaic range 7-8%
premeal target 4.4-10
post one hour target 11
specific premeal target 7.8

I have been reading this forum all weekend having been diagnosed with impaired fasting glucose, I have printed off the information you posted as it just what I was looking for. The meter I have ordered is the Accu Check Aviva, (because it is what my mum uses!) and it says this gives a whole blood reading. Now my question is are the above readings serum plasma levels or whole blood levels. Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this question but this is all new to me.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
These are whole blood levels as you will get from readings on your meter.

jopar

Eeven though some meters do read the plasma instead f whole blood, it will convert the plasma reading into whole blood before displaying the result...

So results are consistent to what we are used to..

lilibet

Hi
I'd also say that whilst considerations of GI index is better than the standard eat lots of complex carbs food advice from the NHS, just be aware that some things that are GI can be bad for blood sugar. Differences between us all prevail but I kind of follow the GI diet principles but find that I cannot tolerate pasta, all bran or porridge that well (all low GI). Noodles are also not my friend!
I can do potatoes (new,and sweet) but only in small amounts. A combination of checking GI plus total carbs might be the happy medium.

Your meter will tell you this if you commence a testing regime
Just something to think about.

Otherwise at a level of 6.9 and time to take action, things could be stopped in tracks quite well methinks.

L

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
Its now nearly two months since I made the original post, and I've found that following the GI diet works for me. However I've cut out bread - all kinds, and potatoes as these send my levels high. Rice, pasta and homemade porridge however do not. So the moral is, test, eat, test, and if it doesn't suit then don't eat it agin.

I now have my levels pre food down to around 5.0, often hitting 4.8 or 4.9. After two hours I'm about 5.5 to 5.8 only higher in the 6s if I have something like a small piece of Yorkshire pudding (one of my favourites).

I've found that exercise, portion control and small snacks - like fruit and a few nuts during the day keep me feeling full and my levels constant.

What works for one may not allways work for someone else. Its important that people remember that.

Thanks for all the help and support I've received.

C

catherinecherub

Well done Cameraman!!.
Like you, I use the G.I. diet and have done for 5yrs. Potatoes are a no no for me but I can eat bread, porridge and some cereals and I often use beans instead of potatoes. I eat loads of vegetables and some fruits. I cannot stress enough that everyone is different. I have friends who can eat potatoes but not bread and it is only constant testing that gets you to where you want to go. My HBA1c is always in the 5's.
Exercise plays a big part in it. You don't have to join a gym or be super fit. As long as you include a walk , some gardening or even housework this will affect you levels.
Once again Cameraman, well done and I think you should include your experience in the success stories.
Regards, Catherine.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Well done ,Cameraman.GI obviously suits you well.Fantastic levels BTW.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Well done Cameraman. As you have proved for yourself one size doesn't necessarily fit all. However, as well as learning what does and doesn't suit you, you also now know of some of the alternatives in case the foods that currently work start to cause you problems.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
Its always worth bearing in mind alternatives, but while something is working, why change? as in if it aint broke don't fix it. The altenatives can be tried and tested when the GI diet no longer works for me.

I've upped my exercise quite a bit when I have the time. Started by a brisk walk of about 5 miles or so, now taken to running the same distance. My son whos 25 just come out of Army runs with me occasionallly to pace me (and stop me overdoing it) he reckens its over 5 miles nearer 7 but either way I've lost around a stone in weight. Incidently the running will not do me ary harm if you think I might be pushing it, as I was in the Parachute Regiment over 20 odd years before joing the TA so am used to hard pysical excerise. Now retired by choice and in 10 years had put on some 3 or 4 stone in weight.