K

koukla

Hi there

I have just found this forum and I'm pleased to have done so. I'm wondering if I may ask a question please because I'm floundering in a sea of confusion, shock, upset and not knowing which way to turn.

Thank you.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
everyone is shocked when told, it's very normal to be upset. Please ask anything you wish to

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most new folks like to ask lots of questions, so feel free to do as we all did when we got here. :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Koukla and welcome to the forum:)

Go ahead and ask your question, and any others you may have, and someone will be able to answer it.

Reactions: 2 people
K

koukla

Thank you so much

I was diagnosed in February and it was only then that I was told that a blood test 12 months before had shown pre diabetes. I'm going to write some figures down which are all difficult for me to understand just yet, though I did attend the DESMOND Course.

I've been quite disabled since 2008 when I had a spontaneous brain accident in the middle of the night (cause unclarified after several MRI scans) but definite damage shown in the Pons area of my brain. I also have Pernicious Anaemia which means injections for life and I have an Underactive Thyroid which has caused a 3 stone weight gain because I couldn't keep up to my strict exercise regime due to my health.

When I was diagnosed, my GP told me that he wasn't surprised, given that I have the other two conditions,

I was diagnosed with a HBA1C of 49. My cholesterol is fine at 3.8 but I take a Statin and a blood thinner each night because of the brain.

I'm trying to do this by diet alone but this is where I don't know where to turn. The Diabetic Dietician said that my fasting blood glucose should be about 4 first thing in the morning. I'm only allowed to test once a day and I get a result fluctuating between 6.2 and 7.9.

I've lost 16lbs so far but the problem is that I'm so frightened of eating anything for the reason that I can't get this morning figure any lower. I'm starving hungry and worried about where to go from here as I'm eating virtually nothing. One slice of granary wholemeal bread with Marmite (no butter) at lunchtime and a boring set meal every evening consisting of ground beef (very lean, virtually no fat), made into a dish by adding onions and mushrooms and a portion of broccoli. I have absolutely no sugar at all, apart from that which is in my splash of skimmed milk in my morning coffee and the tiny amount from the onions and broccoli in the evening.

I just can't continue like this. Why is my blood glucose so high in a morning I ask myself?

Many thanks for allowing me to get this off my chest and thanks also for any advice you can give me.

K

koukla

Thank you so far everybody for the welcome.

I apologise but I forgot......I'm 62 and a smoker. I know I shouldn't smoke and was down to 5 per day until this happened. Now it's rocketed to about 10. I'm totally alone in the world and I would guess I'm quite depressed right now but I don't want medication for that even if it was offered. Thank you.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok, first thing is to get you eating a decent meal
dont eat grain, grain product,
eat a little starch veg, potato, start with 1/4 cup
eat everything else and lots of it, big plates of nonstarch veg, normal meat and a big dob of butter
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

high in the morning is 'dawn phenomenon'

K

koukla

I also forgot the other thing. I was told that being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes wipes an immediate 10 years off your lifespan, so add this to the other illnesses I've got and I'm afraid I'm going to drop dead at any minute. Very afraid.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Koukla! Is your diabetes autoimmune? As you have other autoimmune conditions this needs to be looked into and if it is autoimmune you may need insulin.

You can have as much fat as you want, provided it is good quality fats like olive oil, coconut oil, butter, lard, goose fat, duck fat and such. Not margarine and most vegetable oils. Very filling! If you add fats and cheese, nuts in moderation and keep eating what you already eat you will do fine. That is, I understand you already avoid rice, potatoes, most bread and other things with a lot of carbs.

I was also diagnosed in February but had expected it as most of my family has it.

K

koukla

Thank you Jack412. That comes as a big surprise as those foods are exactly what the DESMOND Course advised against eating. I will try it though thank you. Right now I'll try anything.

Last edited:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It certainly isnt kind to tell anyone that having Diabetes will take 10 years off your lifespan How on earth can they tell how long anyone is going to live .Anyway I would just ignore that remark. You have come to the right place here for advice and support I personally eat lowish carbs that means no pasta white bread white rice pastry potatoes .But I eat lots of green veg ,meat ,fish ,cheese , butter ,eggs I can manage a small amount of brown basmati rice and 1 small new potato .some fruits are ok berries are best and are good with cream or plain yoghurt You seem to be eating very little which will make you ill and unhappy .There are some very good recipes on here some of them very simple so you wont be put off by too much at once . Maybe start with a nice plate of scrambled egg with some bacon and enjoy it
CAROL

Reactions: 3 people
K

koukla

Hi Totto

I really don't know if it's auto immune. My Dr just said he wasn't surprised that I have Type 2, given that I have the other two conditions. I'm terrified that I may need insulin and it's not been discussed. I'm losing the weight because I'm starving. The DESMOND Course said to eat a small amount of carbohydrate at every meal and I immediately didn't understand this as I know carbohydrate turns to sugar. When I asked her why, she said "because we have to get our energy from somewhere."

I never expected to be in such a state of anxiety over an illness, not to mention frightened,

K

koukla

Thank you Carty. Yes I am unhaoppy. Very. I'm in tears as I write this. It may sound pathetic but it's just the way I am at the moment.

I just might have eggs for dinner and I have some bacon in the fridge which I haven't dared touch.. I do hope it's not gone off !!

K

koukla

ok, first thing is to get you eating a decent meal
dont eat grain, grain product,
eat a little starch veg, potato, start with 1/4 cup
eat everything else and lots of it, big plates of nonstarch veg, normal meat and a big dob of butter
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

high in the morning is 'dawn phenomenon'

Jack412.....what is 'dawn phenomenon please'? I'm only allowed to check my blood first thing after I've woken and washed my hands.

Last edited:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Jack412. That cones as a big surprise as those foods are exactly what the DESMOND Course advised against eating. I will try it though thank you. Right now I'll try anything.
you aren't eating what DESMOND told you so it's of no value. you are scared of BG level, so for now we cut the carbs and that will give a low BG level and give you time to adjust and keep you well fed too
you do know that your BG isn't really bad, don't you?
A1c of 48 is 6.5% which is just diabetic
Hemoglobin A1c levels between 5.7% and 6.4% indicate increased risk of diabetes

dawn-phenomenon
http://www.diabetes.org/living-with...re/blood-glucose-control/dawn-phenomenon.html

Last edited by a moderator:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Koukla

Who has said you are 'only allowed to test once a day' and why?

K

koukla

you aren't eating what DESMOND told you so it's of no value. you are scared of BG level, so for now we cut the carbs and that will give a low BG level and give you time to adjust and keep you well fed too
you do know that your BG isn't really bad, don't you?
A1c of 48 is 6.5% which is just diabetic

It's 49 Jack and I honestly don't know what it means, though if it means I'm only "just" diabetic, why can't I get my morning glucose level to the 4 that they want it to be? Thank you.

K

koukla

Hi Koukla

Who has said you are 'only allowed to test once a day' and why?

Hi. My GP told me I could only test once per day and has given me just enough lancets and the testing strips to last me until I go back to see him.

Last edited:
K

koukla

I just tested my blood now. Very naughty as I've been told not to.

My blood glucose is 6.2 and I haven't eaten for 23 hours now.