New Meter

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
My Sd Codefree has just turned up and I've used it for the first time I love how easy it is to use and how with the software I can see the results on my PC (I brought the data cable) but I have no idea if my results are good, bad or just plain ugly.

I got a result of 7.9, that's not pre-meal or post meal or fasting test. It's literally an 'okay its turned up I'll see how easy it is to use' result so any hints, comments etc will be gratefully received :)

Also pre-meal testing exactly how close to the meal is classed as pre meal?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Be regular with your testing, otherwise you won't get a useful picture. Test as near to the start of the meal as you can.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Before eating and I test 2 hrs after eating .. I love my code free meter and the strips are so cheep its brilliant for self funders like me. a random 7.9 ..its impossible to say good or bad .. but don't worry about your numbers too much to start with as its the 'learning' time .. finding out what you can eat without spiking over 2.0 .. take lots of notes with times and foods ... I am now on average 4.5 before eating and 6.5 after .. sometimes its higher .. but always returns quite quickly to my normal.

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
Okay I'm an idiot AND I'm horrified. I know people say to ignore the numbers to start with and this is about the numbers but its also a lesson in checking EVERYTHING.

I tested at random got 7.9 tested before my meal got 5.6 (I hadn't eaten all day and had been busy so this was to be expected).

I tested two hours after the meal and got a 12.0. About an hour later I started to sweat for at the time I thought no apparent reason, checked got a 12.5 my gf by this stage was getting concerned so I said I'd check once more then go lay down for a while and I got a 15.2.

Then I realised I'd been drinking full fat milk all afternoon. I know that full fat milk is part of the LCHF diet so I never thought to check it for carbs.

I'm an idiot! I drank two pints over the space of two hours for a total of 54g of carbs.

It's been ten hours since I've eaten anything so I figured I'd do a fasting test and got a 9.8 so luckily it's dropping.

Apparently I spoke to soon. Also sorry for the image size I couldn't work out how to resize it.

demot.1_zpsbvhaesiw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, steep learning curve there and try not to worry. Just note what happened and go on to the next test. Caution is the watchword -- if you carry on consuming lots of carbs you'll just frighten yourself more. Look also for what combinations are good for you as well as those that you know are bad.
I like looking at the numbers on my Codefree chart. Wait till you learn about standard deviation. Hours of innocent fun:)